Painted Hills - God's Canvas

Thread Starter #1
July 4th is US independence day and had a day off at work. It falling on a Friday, was a long weekend of 3 days. I am a little lazy in planning and hence did not plan on any vacation. A friend of mine called me and wanted to go and visit some place for the weekend rather than sitting at home for the 3 days. I suggested we visit painted hills and stay there for the night. I looked up for hotels for a night’s stay and was lucky enough to find one vacant and immediately reserved it.
It is at a drive of 210 miles which would take 4.5 hrs. My friend was driving his camry and I opted to drive my odyssey as my kids could watch some movies during the drive and have more room.

About painted hills
When you travel to the Painted Hills, you can see millions of years of history revealed in the layers of mountains of earth, one color at a time. The hills get their name from the delicately colored stratifications in the soil and the yellows, golds, blacks, and reds of the Painted Hills are best seen in the late afternoon. Tones and hue may appear to change from one visit to another, as the claystones differ with ever-changing light and moisture levels. Once you see them for yourself, it’s pretty easy to understand why the Painted Hills are one of the 7 Wonders of Oregon.

The yellows, golds, blacks, and reds of the Painted Hills are beautiful at all times of the day, but are best lit for photography in the late afternoon. Changing light and moisture levels can drastically affect the tones and hues visible in the hills.

Attachments

Last edited:
Woh!!!!!

Wonderful place and excellent pictures[clap]

I could imagine the photos posted after compressing are so beautiful; and how the original images will be with high resolution- really great

waiting for more pictures

Nice place with less pollution. It is always refreshing to see places like these.

Post more photos of the place & your ride.

Thread Starter #6
Woh!!!!!

Wonderful place and excellent pictures[clap]

I could imagine the photos posted after compressing are so beautiful; and how the original images will be with high resolution- really great

waiting for more pictures
Thanks Ram! The original pics were about 8 MB each and had to reduce the size great deal for uploading..

Nice place with less pollution. It is always refreshing to see places like these.

Post more photos of the place & your ride.
Thanks appus. My only complaint was it made my ride covered with a loads of dust and I had to rush to a car wash immediately half way through my trip. I could not wait any longer seeing the dust on my car and had to face some scoldings from my wife as I could not wait till I get home for a car wash :). I think its common for all auto lovers.

Thread Starter #7
Few more pics shot by my wife while I was driving.

Attachments

Last edited:
July 4th is US independence day and had a day off at work. It falling on a Friday, was a long weekend of 3 days. I am a little lazy in planning and hence did not plan on any vacation. A friend of mine called me and wanted to go and visit some place for the weekend rather than sitting at home for the 3 days. I suggested we visit painted hills and stay there for the night. I looked up for hotels for a night’s stay and was lucky enough to find one vacant and immediately reserved it.
It is at a drive of 210 miles which would take 4.5 hrs. My friend was driving his camry and I opted to drive my odyssey as my kids could watch some movies during the drive and have more room.

About painted hills
When you travel to the Painted Hills, you can see millions of years of history revealed in the layers of mountains of earth, one color at a time. The hills get their name from the delicately colored stratifications in the soil and the yellows, golds, blacks, and reds of the Painted Hills are best seen in the late afternoon. Tones and hue may appear to change from one visit to another, as the claystones differ with ever-changing light and moisture levels. Once you see them for yourself, it’s pretty easy to understand why the Painted Hills are one of the 7 Wonders of Oregon.

The yellows, golds, blacks, and reds of the Painted Hills are beautiful at all times of the day, but are best lit for photography in the late afternoon. Changing light and moisture levels can drastically affect the tones and hues visible in the hills.
Hey tai_newbie,

I will be visiting next month to Portland. Please can you give me some details regarding this location. Please mention the hotel and travel cost.

Thanks.

Thread Starter #9
Hey tai_newbie,

I will be visiting next month to Portland. Please can you give me some details regarding this location. Please mention the hotel and travel cost.

Thanks.
Oops! Sorry Was inactive for some time on TAI. Are you still in Portland? PM me if you are still here. We can meet up.

About painted hills

Awesome Pictures. Nice travelogue. Btw where is this in US? Which state?.

Top Bottom