Deul: Weekend Getaway From Kolkata

Thread Starter #1
My summer vacation was almost over and the itch to go for a long drive had started long back but due my dad's busy schedule, it got postponed again and again.I already had the destination set in my mind. It was Deul ,Bardhaman. One of the main reasons for choosing this place was the beautiful NH-2. So Sunday, 15th June it was.
Little did I know about the pathetic condition of Panagarh-Moregram highway. So with six passengers, we decided to take the Innova.
Destination : Deul
Car : 2010 Toyota Innova
Distance : 357 kms
Passengers : 6

We planned to leave at 6am from Kolkata but ended up leaving only at 7am. Soon we were on Jessore Road/NH-34. Filled up the car at a pump which is around 10-15 minutes from my house. We took Belgharia Expressway, crossed Nivedita Bridge and we were soon cruising on NH-2. Now, kolkata members would know that supercar and bike gatherings are a regular sight in Azad Hind dhaba on almost every Sundays. So I was expecting to see some them when suddenly two Harleys and one Gixxer zoomed through the opposite lane. After a few minutes, my jaw dropped as i spotted a red Ferrari 458 Italia on my rear view mirror. Even as I regained my composure on seeing this beauty, I spotted yet another - a grey 360 Spider. [surprise] Then my father pointed towards a pump on the left where there was a huge crowd. But I had already missed the turn.So, immediately I took a u-turn and landed on the soft ground between the two oppsite lanes and due to my negligence, I scraped the Innova's belly.I cursed myself for not taking the u-turn on a proper place. However, we had our breakfast there and I spotted 3 Busas, R1's and Harleys in double digits, one BMW R1200GS, Boxter S, Gallardo and many more. [clap]
We were back on the road by 9am. Reached Panagarh in no time. Took right from Darjeeling More towards Ilambazar. We had to take left from a place called 11-Mile before Ilambazar. One can easily miss this turn as there are no proper sign boards. I must mention Chandranath-da's name here.His directions were accurate. Soon, we were travelling on morrum roads.Reached Deul Park at 11am. We had a nice time there but the heat was just unbearable. The staff at Deul resort told us that lunch would be available only at 1:30pm. So we decided to give it a miss and from there we went to see the Deul, built by Ichhai Ghosh beside Ajoy river. Initially we thought that we would spend around 2-3hrs but as there was nothing much to do, we were on our return journey by 12:30pm. By 2pm we reached Gopalpur Azad hind dhaba. As we were having our lunch, dark clouds covered up the sky quickly.First there was a thunderstorm and then it started raining cats and dogs.We had to wait there for half an hour. We started from there at 3pm and on our way back we found many uprooted trees. Even some parts of the lanes were blocked by tree branches.So we had to take 3-4 diversions and had no choice other than driving on opposite lanes. Reached home at 4pm sharp while rain accompanied us all the way from there.

Note : This is my first thread. Please excuse if there are any spelling mistakes and/or grammatical errors.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Deul : Weekend getaway from Kolkata

Nice TL Evox, and good to see those super bikes and cars out there.
Surely must have been a treat to see all those beauties together.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks everyone for spending your valuable time reading this thread. [:)]
As there was maximum limit of 10 pictures, I will upload the remaining ones in my next post. [glasses]

Thread Starter #6

Wonderful TL evox. Nice write up. Good that you took Innova on that road.
You are right. It would have been a bone jarring ride for us on Panagrh-Moregram highway if we took the Santro. Moreover there were 6 people. Our Innova took that bad patch with ease except 1-2 potholes [clap] , where it gave a clearly audible thud sound.

But right now, I am a bit worried about the underbody scraping, though I checked it later. Will it cause any serious issue in the long run? [confused]

But right now, I am a bit worried about the underbody scraping, though I checked it later. Will it cause any serious issue in the long run?
I suggest that you take your car to any service center, lift it on a ramp and inspect the undercarriage yourself. You will have an idea of the damage.
It is unfortunate that the Azad Hind Dhaba at Gopalpur (NH-2) does not have a proper road divider nearby. You have to drive for about 3-4 KM further, up to the Hindusthan Hotel, to locate a divider for turning back.

Very good travelogue.

Pictures are very good.

Sorry for the bad roads, sometimes you can't avoid and get trapped. Have a detailed underbody inspection at TASS

Thread Starter #9
Atlast a sigh of relief. The undercarriage was not damaged in any way.

It is unfortunate that the Azad Hind Dhaba at Gopalpur (NH-2) does not have a proper road divider nearby. You have to drive for about 3-4 KM further, up to the Hindusthan Hotel, to locate a divider for turning back.
I agree with you sir. It is really unfortunate. I hope a proper road divider is constructed soon.

Thread Starter #11
Very good travelogue.

Pictures are very good.

Sorry for the bad roads, sometimes you can't avoid and get trapped. Have a detailed underbody inspection at TASS
Thanks Sir!. We got it inspected and everything was okay.
And finally its always a pleasure to get compliments from a senior member like you. [:D]

Good write up on your journey. To think that I have taken this same Panagrh-Moregram route last year in my 8 years old Zen MPFI. Innova generally has more GC and negotiating potholes should be easy too. It is really a brilliant car for highway runs. Do post more pictures of your journey.

Thanks Sir!. We got it inspected and everything was okay.
And finally its always a pleasure to get compliments from a senior member like you. [:D]
What were u driving on to actually get an Innova to scrap its underbelly

But having said that its too tough a car to get affected on NH2

Thread Starter #14
What were u driving on to actually get an Innova to scrap its underbelly

But having said that its too tough a car to get affected on NH2
I didn't notice Azad Hind Dhaba coming up, so we missed the left turn to the same. In a hurry I decided to take a U-turn and landed the car on the soft ground between the opp. lanes. [frustration]. There the underbelly got scrapped. It was entirely my fault as it was not a proper place to take U-turn but we got the underbody checked later and everything was okay. [:)]

Top Bottom