Right Place, Wrong Time...Destination Kerala

Thread Starter #1
We have just returned from a long trip that included places in Kerala. The reason for this trip was that we had to attend a family function at a place near Tirunelveli. We had initially decided to attend the function first and then go to Kerala for a small vacation. But the function got postponed by a week, so we finished our vacation and then attended the function and returned home.

We left home on the 21st morning and reached our relative's place at Virudhunagar for lunch. We spend a couple of days there and left for Thenmala on the 23rd morning. We spend 2 days at a small resort by the banks of the river Kallada, Thenmala and left for Kollam on the 25th morning. We spend 3 days at Kollam left for the function on the 28th.

Details follows...

Meanwhile just some photos taken during the trip...

Kollam 01_lowres.jpg

brd 03.jpg

brd 01_lowres.jpg

[to be cont.]

Thread Starter #5
Nice pictures of birds.

The City in ghats....[;)]
Thank you. Our trips are mostly to enjoy the nature and wildlife.

Superb snaps! Waiting for more [clap]
Thank you. Will surely post more.

Superb captures and Amazing photos.
Keep Posting....
Thank you and welcome to TAI.

---------------------------------------------

Day 1 - Reached Virudhunagar for lunch and spend the rest of the day catching up with the relatives.

Day 2 - Went for a short drive early morning in the country side with the kids. Saw some Peacocks, Sparrows, Drangos, Rufus Treepie and Parrots. Couldn't take photos due to the lack of light. I am posting what we could manage to take (poor quality[embarass]). The day was very hot and humid. So we stayed indoor.

Day 3 we started out early to Thenmala in Kerala. (the actual trip starts from day 3)

brd 01.jpg

brd 02.jpg

brd 03_lowres.jpg

brd 04_lowres.jpg

brd 05_lowres.jpg

kollam 01_lowres.jpg

kollam 01.jpg

[to be cont.]

Thread Starter #7
Fantastic pics bro!
Keep clicking and posting!
Thank you!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Virudhunagar, we cut across to Alagapuri to join the Thirumangalam-Kollam state highway. The road between Virudhunagar and Alagapuri was very good with very little traffic. We saw a lot of Peacocks, one Black-winged Kite and also passed some Sunflower fields.

From Alagapuri to Srivilliputhur was also good with little traffic. From Srivilliputhur there was heavy traffic all the way to Shenkottai.

From Shenkottai the ghat road starts and it was great to drive on that wide road.

Peacocks... as we were leaving Virudhunagar...

brd 02.jpg

brd 04.jpg

brd 05.jpg

brd 06.jpg

Black-winged Kite... (we are seeing one for the first time)

brd 07.jpg

brd 08.jpg

brd 09.jpg

brd 19.jpg

Sunflowers...

fl 01.jpg

fl 02.jpg

fl 03.jpg

Kollam 08_lowres.jpg

Kollam 09.jpg

Kollam 10.jpg

[to be cont.]

Thread Starter #10
Excellent thread HR, I am pretty sure It will be a treasure soon [clap] Beautiful pictures and waiting for more.
Excellent HR.

Amazing....I saw a black wing kite thru HR's camera. Thanks[clap]
Thank you Indian and gandhi!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Shenkottai we were driving with great anticipation as we neared our first target of the trip - The 13 Kannara Bridge which is a curved railway bridge with 13 pillars. I have faint memories of traveling over this bridge on train as a kid. My late father loved to take pictures of the train curving over the bridge and going into a tunnel at the end of it with his B&K Agfa film camera.

The City in ghats...[;)]

Kollam 11_lowres.jpg

The wide ghat road to Thenmala...

Kollam 12_lowres.jpg

...and the bridge suddenly loomed in front of us...

Kollam 16.jpg

needed to get closer...

Kollam 17.jpg

and closer...

Kollam 18_lowres.jpg

closer still...

Kollam 19.jpg

a bit more...

Kollam 20.jpg

and that is about as close as I can get...

Kollam 25_lowres.jpg

Looked for a way to climb up to the top and could not find any suitable for me.

[to be cont.]

Aweosome pivs HR as usual. what does "Right Place, Wrong Time..." mean also a thought came in my mind as you travel a lot in nature is the Honda City right vehicle for these adventure trips wouldnt a SUV suffice the purpose more efficently

Thread Starter #13
Undoubtedly the pictures are lively.
Waiting for more HR
Thank you Ram!

very nice picture [cheers]
Thank you. Which picture are you talking about?

Aweosome pivs HR as usual. what does "Right Place, Wrong Time..." mean also a thought came in my mind as you travel a lot in nature is the Honda City right vehicle for these adventure trips wouldnt a SUV suffice the purpose more efficently
Thank you konkantrip!

"Right Place, Wrong Time..." The places we visited were great. But due to the heat and humidity we could not venture out long. We got tired easily and had to rest more often than we would have wanted to. And we had to skip a few places due to the heat/humidity.

As for the car, we have problems in the city and places where they have huge speed breakers. We managed our last forest drive to Masinagudi, Mudumalai and Satyamangalam without any issue.

The bottom line is that we have to make do with what we have. We frankly cannot afford to buy a decent SUV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We reached Thenmala and found a small resort/hotel to stay. We settled in, had lunch and at around 4 pm left for the Thenmala Eco-tourism reception center.

The girl at the ticket counter was very friendly and helpful. She patiently asked me about my interest and then explained the various options available for us.

As per her advice, we left for Kulathupuzha (around 17 kms), where we were told huge fishes wait for people to feed them. We found the place and the shopkeepers nearby sold us some groundnut packets and told us to feed them to the fishes there. We walked down to the riverbanks and were sort of disappointed at the size of those fishes. They were just around 2 to 3 feet in length and nowhere near the size we had expected them to be. They loved the groundnuts that we fed them.

Later we returned back and visited the Fresh water aquarium. From the bridge near the Leisure Zone, we had a view of the suspension bridge and the Thenmala Dam.

Fishes in Kulathupuzha...

fish 01_lowres.jpg

fish 02.jpg

fish 03.jpg

fish 04.jpg

fish 05.jpg

Saddledam at Pallamvetty

Kollam 13.jpg

Kollam 26_lowres.jpg

Thenmala Dam...

Kollam 14_lowres.jpg

Kollam 27_lowres.jpg

Sun setting over the Kallada River...

Kollam 15.jpg

We were in time to see the musical fountain which starts at 7 pm.

[to be cont.]

Thread Starter #14
Reached the reception center of the Eco-tourism and was again greeted by the same girl who inquired if we had a nice outing and gave us the tickets for the musical fountain and told us to come at 9 am the next day for other activities.

Musical fountain seems to be a great hit there and soon the place was full.

and the show started... wish 'codename47' was with me...
(he would have taken better pictures)

Kollam 02.jpg

Kollam 04.jpg

Kollam 05.jpg

Kollam 06.jpg

Kollam 07_lowres.jpg

Kollam 21_lowres.jpg

Kollam 23.jpg

Kollam 22.jpg

Kollam 24.jpg

[to be cont.]

Wow!!! Something really great HR

Excellent Photography [clap]. I had seen musical fountain only in Bridhavan KRS, never new is there in this place also. Wonderful!!!

Top Bottom