Yes there were interesting experiences for me though I traveled to Europe twice earlier, but everything was taken care by my company colleagues, so I was not exposed to various things which looked interesting this time as I was doing everything on my own and it was my first visit to Amsterdam. So here they go, looks funny to some, but they are interesting to me
-At Mumbai airport, at check in a lady at the desk was asking me, sir if you have any "water" left with you, please finish it off before you go for Security check in. She told this twice and I could not understand at first but later on I laughed about it.
- At security check in Mumbai, they literally ask you to remove everything, wallet, watch, belt, coins, keys, shoe, hmm what not. But in Amsterdam they just ask you to stand in a closed round cube for a few seconds and security check is cleared.
- In Delta flight the seats in economy class are so cramped you hardly get a sleep and are worst than our state road transport city buses
- Best thing I have seen in Amsterdam is cycling. Lot of people use cycle to commute, they have separate tracks. My homestay owner she is 65 years and goes to office every day on her bicycle cycling for 30 min each side.
- Parking is real good where I was staying, on each road there is a bay for parking one side of the road and people park their cars with great discipline and straight.
- There is one ticket which works in tram and buses operated by "GVB" but without knowing this I was buying separate tickets for all most two days and one of the tram conductor told me that I can by one day, two day, three day pass which can be used on tram and buses.
- Trams are really good in Amsterdam, they take you everywhere without a fuss.
- High speed trains are really amazing in Europe and very comfortable and fast. You have a food and drink bar on all long distance trains.
- Climate is very tricky in Amsterdam. Morning it rains heavy, afternoon it is clear sky and hot and in the evening you feel freezing cold. 3 seasons in one day
- People walk a lot in Amsterdam city and really it is easy to go any where by walk as you will never get bored off.
- Almost every house has a alarm system and a roof ventilation window.
- Being summer, it gets dark only after 10pm in the night
- If you aware of stay and travel, then one can finish a 4 night, 5 day trip in Amsterdam for Rs.1L