Central Travancore of Kerala During May

Thread Starter #1
Central Travancore of Kerala during May
This is not a travelogue, but a narration of celebrations, attractions of central Travancore during the month MAY. The month MAY is the marriage season at Kerala. It is peak summer during the month May. But, there will be summer-rain during the month May. The rain will stay for three-four days. It is mandatory for some crops but damages for some other crops like rice. Most of Kerala roads are repaired and waiting for the rain to become next damages. Some roads will sock in this summer-rain. Alleppy-Changanassery road will immerse in water. The below photo is the same, just two days rain. It is fun to drive on this road.

DSC04823.JPG

DSC04932.jpg

It is also season for flowers. Flowers are largely used in Marriages. Flowers are another business area, will be discussing later. During this summer-rain, the fruits like “Champakka” will flourish.

DSC04931.JPG

DSC04944.JPG

20140509_161527.jpg

It is mango, and jackfruit seasons.

The jackfruit was ignored last many years. But, value added products from Jackfruit made it popular. It is also on big demand in Middle-East, and America. I was lucky to get the below one. It is of special variety known as ‘Then Varikka’. The fragrance of ‘Then Varikka’ is fabulous. Believe me, if you eat one piece of it, you will love to eat the remaining. It is also Mango time in Kerala. Different varieties available. Some are big, some are very tasty, some ripped mangoes can be made as curry to add as a side dish.

DSC04864.jpg

DSC04865.jpg

DSC04866.jpg

DSC04959.jpg

KTDC Restaurant, Alleppy
Details available here, KTDC, Motels, Alappuzha, Kerala, India

20140510_171705.jpg

20140510_171643.jpg

20140510_171703.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Marriage Season

It is also marriage season during the month MAY. The photographers and videographers do make good during this month. They consume lots of time to make video shoots. One video available in youtube is embedded below. This video become famous due to cinematic style of shooting. Now others are also copying the same techniques.

I got a chance to take the bridegroom in my SUV. Different stages of decorating the vehicle as below. The bouquet at the bonnet is the central attraction. Interestingly the bouquet came out of the bonnet while coming to Auditorium, after the marriage. It is also good business for the flower shops. It is business for them by Stage decorations, church decorations etc using fresh flowers.
Business time for Luxury vehicles including Luxury video coach Buses. They write DOLBY Digital, A/C etc on their vehicles. Check MEGHNA in the below photo.

DANIEL + SHINY - KERALA CINEMATIC WEDDING - YouTube

KERALA CHRISTIAN WEDDING 2014 MERIN + TOM - YouTube

[Disclaimer: Copyright to respective owners, published in Youtube. Embedded here for the explanation of advanced videography in Marriage Functions.]

DSC05005.JPG

20140514_143952.jpg

DSC04876.jpg

20140514_143942.jpg

24 E, near kottarakkara?

those keralites who stayed away from Kerala at least for some time, love to enjoy the natural beauty of kerala (at least in my case)

Nice pictures!

Thread Starter #4
24 E, near kottarakkara?

those keralites who stayed away from Kerala at least for some time, love to enjoy the natural beauty of kerala (at least in my case)

Nice pictures!
Hi Rajeshmurali,
Yes. Near Kottarakkara.
This thread is dedicating to those who stay outside Kerala.

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04885.JPG

Chengannuur Railway Station

Got a chance to visit chengannuur railway station. Station is improved, and now with three platforms. Lots of changes. The Kerala express is arriving in the below photo. The Kerala express was on time 12.40pm.

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

DSC04918.JPG

DSC04920.JPG

Thread Starter #5
Omallor Temple

The temple is known for its annual festival celebrated on a grand scale for 10 days in month of Medom of Malayalam Era. The 10 days festival is celebrated by 10 Karayogams also known as village communities in and around Omallur. During the festival days the temple organises a customary Arattu procession that leads to the River Achenkovil. For the festival 10 elephants are elaborately ornamented with Nettipattom i.e. a decorated cover on the forehead. The temple is adorned with an age old Golden Flag Staff.

Rektha Kanda Swamy Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Omalloor Manikandan (Anish Omalloor).mp4 - YouTube
[Disclaimer: Copyright to respective owner.]

DSC04929.JPG

DSC04948.JPG

DSC04949.JPG

DSC04951.jpg

DSC04953.jpg

DSC04971.jpg

DSC04975.jpg

Central Travancore of Kerala during May
This is not a travelogue, but a narration of celebrations, attractions of central Travancore during the month MAY. The month MAY is the marriage season at Kerala. It is peak summer during the month May. But, there will be summer-rain during the month May. The rain will stay for three-four days. It is mandatory for some crops but damages for some other crops like rice. Most of Kerala roads are repaired and waiting for the rain to become next damages. Some roads will sock in this summer-rain. Alleppy-Changanassery road will immerse in water. The below photo is the same, just two days rain. It is fun to drive on this road.

View attachment 135387

View attachment 135388

It is also season for flowers. Flowers are largely used in Marriages. Flowers are another business area, will be discussing later. During this summer-rain, the fruits like “Champakka” will flourish.

View attachment 135389

View attachment 135390

View attachment 135391

It is mango, and jackfruit seasons.

The jackfruit was ignored last many years. But, value added products from Jackfruit made it popular. It is also on big demand in Middle-East, and America. I was lucky to get the below one. It is of special variety known as ‘Then Varikka’. The fragrance of ‘Then Varikka’ is fabulous. Believe me, if you eat one piece of it, you will love to eat the remaining. It is also Mango time in Kerala. Different varieties available. Some are big, some are very tasty, some ripped mangoes can be made as curry to add as a side dish.

View attachment 135392

View attachment 135393

View attachment 135394

View attachment 135395

KTDC Restaurant, Alleppy
Details available here, KTDC, Motels, Alappuzha, Kerala, India

View attachment 135396

View attachment 135397

View attachment 135398
Really Missing my home.
Nice Pics Bro.
I have brought a Varikka Chakka (Jack Fruit) while coming back to Qatar and shared it to every one here.
It was finished in 10 mins. [lol]

Thread Starter #8
Traditional 'ARA'

'Ara' means an enclosed storage area, often used for threshed grain – paddy in the Kerala context. Landlords who owned and cultivated large areas would have such storehouses near the fields and also an in-house granary to stock un-husked rice for home consumption.

Now it is difficult to find such 'Ara'. Most of the old houses are renovated to concrete houses. Very few people maintain the 'Ara'. Maintenance is more. Paddy fields are changed. Only few are maintaining farming.

DSC04968.jpg

DSC04972.jpg

DSC04930.jpg

DSC04957.jpg

Awesome pics Mathew really remembered my Kerala trip 2 years back. Even the konkan area in Maharashtra is also the same but unfortunately due to bad and corrupt state governance the region is loosing its charm good to see hat kerala is still the same

Thread Starter #10
Awesome pics Mathew really remembered my Kerala trip 2 years back. Even the konkan area in Maharashtra is also the same but unfortunately due to bad and corrupt state governance the region is loosing its charm good to see hat kerala is still the same
Thanks konkantrip,

It is too hot during May. But, summer rain is the blessing during May. Some crops will be planted immediately after this summer rain. Summer rain is also an indication of monsoon following very shortly.

Spot the Bird in the following photo.

DSC04933.jpg

DSC04937.jpg

Enjoy the Sound

Central Travancore May 2014 - YouTube

Top Bottom