Road Trips Down Memory Lane: Snapshot

Thread Starter #1
Prologue:​

“When you finally go back to your old home, you find it wasn't the old home you missed but your childhood”. Sam Ewing

These pictures make me feel at home, when away from home. Some of these might be from the wild, but for me, they mean a lot. They take me back to my childhood, back to a small beautiful village I hail from, in Kerala, the first 6 letters of it’s name too is kerala.
home white.jpg

I work abroad for most part of the year. I try and fly back to where I belong, whenever there is, at least, a couple of weeks off from work. "Separation anxiety”? Whatever you call it, the "dying to go home" feeling is acting strong within me, of late.

This cambridge journal defines Nostalgia as a ‘forgotten’ psychological disorder !
Nostalgia, a psychopathological condition affecting individuals who are uprooted, whose social contacts are fragmented, who are isolated and who feel totally frustrated and alienated, was first described in the 17th century and was a problem of considerable interest to physicians in the 18th and 19th centuries. By the 20th century it seemed to have disappeared, but reappeared under other labels.
May be, a milder term such as 'homesickness' is better suited here, as I look towards future always optimistically and believe that this current state is just a temporary phase. I do agree that there have been quite a few wistful thoughts haunting me, while being away from home. The root cause of this mental agony as I realise is, the lack of quality time behind the wheel. Absolutely no justice to my passion to drive, for most part of the year.My occasional official chauffeured commute in a Mercedes Viano or a Honda CRV do provide me with some respite, but the nearly impossible task of acquiring a driving License here in China, has always been a deterrent to drive one.

I know the permanent solution to this mental distress is to have regular visits back home, but my current work doesn't allow me anything more than two trips per year. For time being, let me live through memories of various road trips I underwent during my previous visits back home. Yes, please don't expect a Ladak or similar type which I am yet to make. It's more of a cumulative Photo-log of road trips/ places of interest in and around Kerala and a couple of other South Indian designations.

0051.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I work abroad for most part of the year. I try and fly back to where I belong, whenever there is, at least, a couple of weeks off from work. "Separation anxiety”? Whatever you call it, the "dying to go home" feeling is acting strong within me, of late.
Me too in the same scenario.

Nice start Manoj. Check this section for last one week. No new topics. Anyway you have effectively utilizing your vehicle. Congrats. Keep coming the remains.

Thread Starter #4
Me too in the same scenario.
This picture is dedicated those who are in the same boat as you and me ! We all love our homes to the core, we might leave our feet but our hearts still there.

k1.jpg

My trustworthy partner on roads, since July-2009 : Mahindra Scorpio SLE M-Hawk He has stood up to the task every time and a true work horse, standing tall throughout. This July, will be celebrating the 5th year of wonderful ownership.​
mhawk.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
June, 2013
Palakkad - Anand -Palakkad

Total Distance covered : approximately 4000km

It was the longest drive ever made so far. I love monsoons when nature is at its best. Nothing can be more fun than doing long trips in monsoons. With your family accompanying you, it simply becomes a life time experience. I had a couple of days of personal work at Anand, Gujarat. The yearly family reunion was also pending. With my brother & family being based in Thane, the idea of taking my parents along to stay together, even if for a few days turned out to be once in a life time experience.The plan was to drop my parents at Thane on the second day by Lunch with my brother and head straight towards Anand via Surat.

The planning :
Driving in rains requires the extra caustion. Since I knew it would be raining throught out, I had done some research to be on a safer side, prior to the trip. Got my vehicle a thorough preventive check up at A.S.S, the previous day.
  • Got the wiper blades, front and rear replaced to make sure a clean sweep
  • Got the suspension checked and changed Stabiliser bar bushes [front] as they had gotten harder- no compromise on the ride comfort
  • 4 wheel brakes cleaned and wheels aligned
  • Topped up fluids, changed engine oil + fuel & Oil filters
  • Also, got a detailed interior cleaning and an exterior polishing for the Beast, during the service.
The execution:
Day 1:
Palakkad-Coimbatore by Pass[L&T]-Salem-NICE -Road-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Belgaum-Kohlapur.[covered in 16 hours].The stretch between Walayar and L&T by-Pass was bad, but beyond that very good roads all the way.

After having lunch at New Aggarwal Bhavan on Tumkur road[NH-4], headed towards Hubli and then Kohlapur.

Stayed in Hotel Ayodhya at Kohlapur.
Hotel Ayodhya, Kolhapur, Maharashtra, Hotel Kolhapur, Hotel in Kolhapur, Near ST Stand,Railway Station,Airport,Near NH-4 Highway, Near Shivaji University kolhapur
Took a Delux room with two extra bed for 3100 INR+ tax. The priorities were comfortable AC room with dedicated and secured parking.

An early morning start got us to Saravana Bhavan near Salem for an early breakfast.​
1.jpg

The beautiful NH-7 !​
2.jpg

Day 2:
Kohlapur- Satara-Pune-Thane: Lunch at Bro's place, Thane -Surat-Vadodara-Anand.

Due to the ongoing work, lots of diversions and bumpy was the stretch between Satara and Pune. Excellent 6-Lane road, mostly after Thane till Vadodara and beyond that the Vadodara-Ahmedabad Mahatma Gandhi Exp.way was the best in the entre trip. Took the exit at Anand. Stayed in Anand at Lacasa In. Excellent hotel[the best in the trip] with very good service. Took its Diamond suit for two people for 2500 INR + tax per day.

It was a couple of days of hectic schedule at Anand after which got back to Thane. Had a wonderful stay at Thane with all of us having great fun for few days.

Return:
While returning, we took a detour to Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar and spent two days there. It was raining through out, thus couldn’t "click" many. Most of the "Points" were invisible as well.But enjoyed the typical monsoon Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar weather.

Visiting Panchgani was very special !
I was based in Panchgani back in 1999-2002. We, me and my friend [now my wife] were blessed to have started our career there. With the new member on board, the Rider Bajaj Aspire thanks to the fresh air and invigorating climate, those four years did make one of the most wonderful and distinct portion of our life. Those days, we used to have relaxed rides on those curvaceous roads between Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar and Wai.

During monsoons, Panchgani-Mahabaleswar owns a very charm of its own. We still remember those wonderful moments when we breezed through those foggy, invisible and wet roads,to Sydney points to Parsi points to Table lands and some occasional drive down to Dom Dam via Wai.The Rider Aspire also witnessed the very best Raas Garba Dance at nights During Dasara.

Coming back to the trip, we stayed in Hotel Mount View Executive at Panchgani on the first day for INR 5250 in an executive suite. Not so clean and not so impressive. Hotel Mount View Executive.Wanted to stay at Ravine Hotel near Sydney Point,Panchgani, but there weren't any rooms available.

First view of Panchgani Hills, more specifically the ghat road from Wai !​
panchgani.jpg

Pictures below were taken at Harrison's Folly Point, Panchgani. It's a good view point with Panchgani on one side and Wai on the other.​
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The not so inspiring ambience at the hotel and the beautiful weather pushed us out to hit the roads again and we headed towards Mahabaleshwar.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Mahabaleswar :

12.jpg

Soaring peaks, breathtaking valleys. Lush flora. Cool, crisp mountain air. This is Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra’s most popular hill station, and once the summer capital of the Bombay Presidency during the British Raj.
Get to know more about Mahabaleshwar here:

Mahabaleshwar is known for its numerous sightseeing points, each providing a unique perspective of the majestic hill range. Some of the attractions include,
  • Lodwick Point
  • Arthur's Seat
  • Babington Point
  • Wilson Point
  • Kate's Point
  • Bombay Point (Sunset Point)
  • Elephant's head Point
  • Pratapgad Fort
We didn't want to miss the gorgeous Arthur's Seat point, but was disappointed to see the entire area completely engulfed in thick fog with no visibility. What we could make it was only the Elephant's Head point in the entire Mahabaleshwar outing. Once it started raining, we decided to head back to Panchgani for a well deserved rest.
A few shots taken at Elephant's Head point​

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Manoj,

Pleasant Memories are always refreshing. Especially for those who love to travel extensively, and look back the memories of the trip with some wonderful pictures icing it. I think I too visited Panchgani and Mahabaleswar soon after you went.

Yes, Monsoon ride has got it own pleasure and comfort especially for the nature lovers. This is going to be a wonderful thread and you get the privilege for laying the foundation.

Thanks for inspiring others for recalling their memories as well.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...trip-splendid-goan-mahabaleswar-holidays.html

Thread Starter #10
This is going to be a wonderful thread and you get the privilege for laying the foundation. Thanks for inspiring others for recalling their memories as well.
Thanks Sir. When it comes to source inspiration, you are up there for many, including me.

I don’t know how I missed this T-log of yours. Just went through. Wonderful as always. I too had done a Goa trip earlier, shall share the experience soon. The best time to visit Panchgani/Mahabaleswar is during Monsoons or just after Monsoons.

Panchgani used to my second home back in 2000s and used to live just below Table land. Apart from being naturally blessed, Panchgani does bear a unique yet beautiful mix of culture- that of Anglo-Indian and Maharashtrian. Panchgani does have a good population of Keralites too. You would find many at hotel “Apsara” just in the heart of Panchgani market, the Bel-Air Hospital and among the vast teacher community as well. Beautiful period indeed.

I hope other members share here their memories too, to enrich the experience for all.

Thread Starter #11
Had a well deserved rest that night. The next day, went for a spin in Panchgani but rain was a deterrent. Didn’t want to miss the mighty Table Land though.

Table Land​
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Wai
After having had a great vegetarian lunch [Thali], went back to hotel and checked out. The next destination was Wai and my Bro had booked their travel back to Thane in Neeta Volvo from Wai, that evening. We drove down to Wai and booked two deluxe rooms in Hotel Pearl. Very good rooms with excellent service at a budget rate.

That afternoon spent some useful time around Dhom Dam. It was very much refreshing indeed.
Few pictures taken at Dhom Dam,Wai​

wai 1.jpg

wai 2.jpg

wai3.jpg

wai4.jpg

wai5.jpg

wai7.jpg

The next day, we started our return journey at 5.15 am and reached home at Palakkad at 11.15 pm on the same day.

It was a quick but well planned out trip and could not have asked for more. We had some great time together, spending some quality time after a long gap.

That's all for time being. Thanks all for reading and shall come back soon with another story [:)]

My trustworthy partner on roads, since July-2009. Mahindra Scorpio SLE M-Hawk. He has stood up to the task every time and a true work horse, standing tall throughout. This July, will be celebrating the 5th year of wonderful ownership.
Congratulations for SLE M-Hawk. It is a powerful vehicle. I experienced the same model on one month rental. Two long drives, one to Pala, and the other to Cochin from Pathanamthitta.

Driving an SUV during monsoon in Kerala is interesting. Aleppy-Chanaganassery road was dipped during last monsoon. I did some trial using my SUV on that road during that time.

Anyway keep coming your experiences.

Thread Starter #14
Congratulations for SLE M-Hawk. It is a powerful vehicle. I experienced the same model on one month rental. Two long drives, one to Pala, and the other to Cochin from Pathanamthitta.

Driving an SUV during monsoon in Kerala is interesting. Aleppy-Chanaganassery road was dipped during last monsoon. I did some trial using my SUV on that road during that time.

Anyway keep coming your experiences.
Thanks Mathews. I too did a Munnar- Alappuzha via Thodupuzha-Changanassery and experienced that water logged stretch during rains. Nevertheless, beautiful route that is !

I too have had a few drives to Pathanamthita as well. Wonderful to drive on.
BTW. how often you come home, I mean visit Kerala?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
A couple of least explored locations around Munnar.
A must do 31 odd km stretch of pure blissful drive for nature lovers !

Poopara –Munnar stretch :
poo-munnnar 1.jpg

Gap road : about 13km from Munnar
gap road.jpg

Anayirangal Dam : about 24km from munnar
anayirangal 1.jpg

Waterfalls near Aruvi Resort:​
It’s about 7-8 kms from Rajakkad towards Kunchithanni near Thekkumkanam !
aruvi 1.jpg

aruvi 2.jpg

aruvic3.jpg

Top Bottom