Andaman: Nature's Gift To Mankind

Thread Starter #1
Golden rays seeped in through the droplets as my daughter splashed away water in her moment of ecstasy. Through that split second, it spread across as a thin veil of transparency with the setting sun's rays reflecting through each drop as it spread.

127926d1393331278-your-best-photographs-1.jpg

She had never seen a sea which looked like a swimming pool...
Calm sea, without waves, water clear and spotlessly clean.
Fat chance that she would see that again for some time to come.
Cos, we were at Andamans...
The cluster of impeccably beautiful islands which arguably is one of the most beautiful destinations in the country.

43.JPG

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

--John Masefield

1.JPG

Once you visit Andamans, you would never disagree with John Masefield. For, on those shores, you feel peace as soon as your toes touches the pure white sand. And the urge which draws you more and more into the ocean.

2.JPG

campbell bay 1.jpg

"Andamans- You can never get enough of it"
Blurted my friend when I first told him that I am coming over for a short visit of four days.

(image courtesy: wikipedia)

Andaman.jpg

He was rather appalled. He couldn't digest it that I had planned only four days to meet up with uncle Andamans. I couldn't understand why.
I was soon to find out.

No sooner did I type in the search string, Mr Google threw me snaps in buckets and galore.
Soon I was searching for my phone to reach my travel agent to try and extend my bookings. Sadly, that did not materialize and I still had to make good with four days.

Nevertheless, I decided to make most of whatever time I had and set forth for the journey

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Andamans- Nature's gift to mankind

Andamans is one of the very few places I have ever visited where I did not drive to.
Not that I had an option too!!
My car still doesn't have sailing capabilities. [:D]

The flight from Chennai was at 0500 hrs, which percolated to a reporting time of 0400 hrs. Gathering my two little 'shetaans' from sleep, so early is definitely not an enviable task.

With time clutching on heels and two sleepy toddlers on tow, my wife and I just about managed to reach the airport in time for security clearance and boarding.

It is said that all your pains will be rewarded. And justice was delivered sooner than I expected.
Boy!!! the sunrise from the aircraft... Wasn't that a sight to behold?

The morning rays streaked out of a sheet of cloud, slitting the horizon as small whiffs of cirrus clouds spread beneath like scattered clusters of pearls.

IMG_3435.JPG

I glanced to the seats next to me.
There sleeping so peacefully were my two kids with the slant rays of rising sun painting a hue of orange on their cheeks.
I had two of the best creations on either side- Nature and Innocence.
I couldn't have asked for more.

It's true. There are some things in the world which words cannot explain.

Thread Starter #3
On the outset, I would like to submit that this was not my first visit to Andamans. I'd been here before; but back then it wasnt a pleasure trip. It was official.
Also back then, I didn't get much time nor had the inclination to roam around the places in the islands.
Yes, I know. Stupid me!!
I repent it now [frustration]

he best time to visit Andamans, I would say is between November to February.
Immediately after March, it tends to get very hot.
And before November, it rains cats, dogs and even buffaloes in Andamans.

Jan and Feb are the months in my office where all the work and deadline rockets get extra propulsion.
Thankfully, due to my very accomodative superiors, I was able to sneak out in Feb this year.
When I landed in Port Blair, I realised that I couldn't have timed it better.
'Cos, During the days of my visit, Port Blair was also hosting a Naval Exercise called Milan.

An hour and a few phone calls later, there was no one flashing more teeth than me. [:D]
The tickets for Milan Display and the International City Parade which followed the next day were waiting for me.

So, after the long prologue, here I start my travelogue. Since the Milan came into the scheme of things, my already short stint of four days were again cut short. A recent boat tragedy in the islands got all boat services suspended.
This meant that no visit to places which included a boat ride.
So, off the equation goes Ross Islands, Jolly Buoy, Red skins and everything else which has the element of boat attached to it.
This unexpected development further curbed my flexibility of places to visit.

What remained was Carbyn's cove, Chidiya Tapu, Cellular Jail, Jogger's Park and Mount Harriet (which was accessible by a ferry)
However, I still had the topping of the cake to devour- Milan.

In the chronology of this excuse of a travelogue, I will first cover the Milan part.
'Cos, witnessing Milan is a unique experience for a visitor as it happens only once in two years.
And more than just timing to be there during the period, the entry to witness these is hard to come by.

Therefore, my effort to capture the astounding beauty of these islands through the lens will follow only later. Please allow me to hog the initial space to cover the act of the sky diving team, the bulleteers of the Indian Army and some little tit bits from the city parade.

A little insight into Milan.

MILAN is the result of an initiative by the Indian Navy in the early nineties to create a forum for the littoral navies of the region. (India, Srilanka, Myanmar and Bangladesh). This was primarily formed to exchange thoughts in the area of maritime cooperation.
The first MILAN was held in the year 1995.
The event is designed to be conducted once every two years, and every time it is hosted by Port Blair, the Headquarters of the Andaman Nicobar Command of the Indian Navy.

The congregation of navies has grown over time to include countries from South-East Asia, and the larger Asia-Pacific and Indian Ocean Region (IOR). (Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, NewZealand and Australia)
MILAN has evolved as an effective platform for social, cultural and professional interaction.

The 9th edition of Milan was conducted from 4th to 9th Feb 2014 at Port Blair. During this Milan, there were numerous activities spread over the five days including foreign ship visits, cultural programs, food festivals, displays and a city parade.

MILAN Display

There's not much to explain here.
The photographs to follow are self sufficient I believe.

The Army motor cycle dare devils, The Tornadoes, stole the show with their awe inspiring performance.

And then dropped down from the sky, the Indian Airforce Sky diving team- Akash Ganga.

There were other performances too like martial arts display by the Andaman Police, Kick boxing display by the visiting country athletes and also canine performance and display by the Police.
However, what still remains vibrant in the memory frame is the colourful sky dotted with parachutes and the roaring thump of the bullets.

They literally swept through the proceedings.

A few videos of the Army motor cycle dare devils, the Tornadoes-

The initial line up

Army Bullet riders- Tornadoes- initial line up and cross - YouTube

Double scissor crossing

Army bullet riders- Tornadoes. Double scissor cross - YouTube

Scissor crossing

Army bullet riders team-Tornadoes- Scissor crossing - YouTube

Indian Army bullets- Tornadoes - YouTube

continued.../-

Thread Starter #5
Enough of my rant. Let the pics do the talking now.

The entry of the Tornadoes. Led by Lt Col KK Nair (in white pullover)

0.JPG

Jump through the ring of fire

1.JPG

Jump over 19 persons

3.JPG

Smashing the brick wall

4.JPG

The Roman Salute

6.JPG

The standing salute to the dignitary

8.JPG

I am a ROCKSTAR!!! But I dont get a stage to perform often. So I make amends here

11.JPG

Head stand with reverse ride

13.JPG

Double Side stance

15.JPG

I dont know what they call this..

18.JPG

The horse ride

20.JPG

22.JPG

26.JPG

The human triangle.

28.JPG

The joker's party

30.JPG

Gulp... I cant find words for this.

32.JPG

When I don't get time for parallel bar chin ups, I do it on a bike...

36.JPG

37.JPG

Proudly displaying the regimental flag

39.JPG

And finally, the flutter of colours they represent

43.JPG

Bye bye all...

45.JPG

continued.../-

Last edited:
Excellent write up with mind blowing pictures, very artistic indeed !
I am sure, there are plenty more to come. Can’t wait.[embarass]

BTW, did you miss your “cheetah” there?

Hi Dhanush,

I heard lots about these beautiful islands and your photographs are a testimony. Can you pls let me know the cost of transporation for both flight and return by ship. Pls. let me know the fares for

1. Flight cost from Chennai
2. Ship cost from Andaman to Chennai (various classes and fares thereof)
3. Also kindly share details of prominent tour operators

If things go well, will plan a trip sometine around this summer or Christmas

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
beautiful snaps mate. bring it on.
wow!! I am lost completely in your thread buddy, thanks for sharing it with us and look forward to see this heaven some time soon
Excellent write up with mind blowing pictures, very artistic indeed !
I am sure, there are plenty more to come. Can’t wait.[embarass]
Thanks a lot everyone.

BTW, did you miss your “cheetah” there?
Ha ha... What a question??
I miss it everywhere I go without it [cry]

Pls. let me know the fares for
1. Flight cost from Chennai
2. Ship cost from Andaman to Chennai (various classes and fares thereof)
3. Also kindly share details of prominent tour operators
If things go well, will plan a trip sometine around this summer or Christmas
All the best for your planning.
Don't plan to go there during summer. It's really hot.
And it's not really green as you would like it to be.

Christmas time would be good. But, during that period, the rates of hotel, airfare and everything else sky rockets to Saturn!!

Somewhere by end of October or so would be a good time to go otherwise.
You may block your Diwali holidays in that case.

Rain is one thing which you should be wary of in Andamans.
Rains are pretty un predictable and it can lash any time of the year between April to November.
And like I already said in the write up; when it rains, it rains cats, dogs and buffaloes.

Expenses and travel to Andamans
The rates of accomodation is pretty steep. Do not have an exact idea since I stayed with my cousin, but still you can expect atleast 1.5 times what we expect in mainland.

Seafood and hotels are available aplenty at Port Blair vis-a-vis the size of the island. There are resorts mushrooming in and around many islands. Food should not be an issue in the main part of Port Blair I guess. As you travel interior, you might not find hotels at every corner of the road or junction.

Everything in the islands is pretty much costlier than mainland.
Fruits and vegetables sells for twice the cost and therefore, the cost of dining out is also on the higher side. (One Kg apple- Rs 300)
This is attributed to the fact that each and everything for the islands comes from mainland. The island per se cannot sustain by itself for the population as there is not much of cultivation or farming.

The only thing which is relatively cheap from mainland is petrol.
which is Rs 65 per litre as against Rs 74 or so in mainland.

Entertainment and newpapers
There are no movie halls and so, DVDs (Rs 30- Rs 50) rushes in within weeks of the movie release in mainland.
If you are one of that kind who can feel 'freedom' in the bathroom only with a newspaper to munch in the morning; you better change your habits here. Cos the earliest one to read the paper can hope to get his hands on the paper only as late at 10 in the morning.
There are places where it reaches only after 2 or 3 PM also.

Cost of travelling

I travelled from Kochi to Andamans in flight.
Kochi- Chennai and then Chennai to Andamans
Four sectors in total.
Tickets for four people--> 16 tickets.

Cost of air travel alone (for four persons) was Rs 92,000.
[close to Rs 6000 per ticket per sector]
It might come down in off season time.
Or you might consult a travel agent for offers or packages.

There is Andaman tours and travels, but I am not aware of anything further.
I did not approach any travel agent. I went direct to Air India Office and oicked up the tickets.

Also, I am not sure of the cost of travel by sea too.
One ship is there a week which will get you to chennai in two and a half days (IIRC)
If you have never travelled by sea, it's worth doing for a change.

Last edited:
Hi ,You have good writing skills and photography skills.
Just wanted to know as How did you post pics then text then again pics ? as I could not do it .

Ankit

Top Bottom