Away From My Ride and Country: Life in USA

Thread Starter #1
They say "Grass is always greener on the other side of fence", heard numerous times, but after migrating to USA, my belief in the words has further strengthened.

Hell no, it has nothing to do with emotions or career, I am referring to the Auto scene in United states. But before I go ahead, let me tell you how an auto-head who was happily living with his cute little Alto (Baby Suzuki) landed to this Alien world[roll] (I will keep it short, continue reading).

Recap: I was happily doing my job when the Power Industry was hit badly by the Coal scam. Most of the projects including ours had to slow down till any decision was made by the govt. 1 month of serious thinking and I put my my papers. Resigned from the company, and lo, I was ready for my masters.

Fast Forward: I landed on the soil of USA on 27th of Dec 2013. Here ends the boring stuff.

Auto Scene in USA: The first thing I noticed on the roads of USA was the abundance of Honda Accords, Civics, and CRVs. However, whats more exciting is the ease by which you can spot a Camaro, Hummer H2, or any other exotic car. Name the car and you can easily spot it? (Almost every car, except Suzukis).

About the cars which recently made their debut in India, the big ones like the new Corolla, SantaFE, well, they were already here since long. Except for very mild cosmetics differences, they are almost the same here. However, I must admit, though I have been watching them onroad for the past 3 months, I got educated about them only after reading the review by the mods.

More about the Autoscene, New York etc in my following posts.

PS: Any TAIgers at NewYork oppn for International TAI meet[glasses]

A few snaps of the New York City to start with. More snaps soon.

DSC_1923.JPG

DSC_1925.JPG

DSC_1933.JPG

DSC_1939.JPG

DSC_1941.JPG

DSC_1946.JPG

DSC_1949.JPG

DSC_1950.JPG

DSC_1959.JPG

DSC_1966.JPG

DSC_1976.JPG

DSC_1985.JPG

DSC_1990.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think first of its kind from USA. Pictures are not clear, particularly the second photo. Highways, and bridges in USA are mind blowing. I think one or two pictures of the highways with vehicles will definitely give good impression on this thread.

Thread Starter #7
Tell more about your experience over there.
Sure. I will keep updating this thread each weekend.

Nice introduction and good photography. Hoping to see you get Masters easily. [:)]

Regards
Ankit
Thanks buddy.

Post pictures of some common cars there and US versions or cars available in India, if you are able to spot.
Surely. All the Toyotas (except Innova, Fortuner, Etios), Honda, BMW, Merc, Nissan which are available in India can be spotted here. Pics and more details in my next post.

I think first of its kind from USA. Pictures are not clear, particularly the second photo. Highways, and bridges in USA are mind blowing. I think one or two pictures of the highways with vehicles will definitely give good impression on this thread.
Thanks, those pics were taken in heavy snow due to which I feared getting my lens wet. Then again, I am not very good with DSLR, which is the prime reason for that outcome.

Hii Akash, seems that night life of US's is completely different from India, I have noticed a thing in second last pic that Kenwood has a own showroom there [:D]

Thread Starter #10
Hii Akash, seems that night life of US's is completely different from India, I have noticed a thing in second last pic that Kenwood has a own showroom there [:D]
Yes, life is pretty much different from what we (or particularly myself) are used to. Yeah, that pic is of the well known Times Square. We have Kenwood, JBL and Hankook outlets in the neighborhood.

Pics of highway, cars would be posted very soon.

View from Red Steps
IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

The much famous Manhattan Skyline
IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

Pics of my backyard after a recent snow storm
IMG_0185.JPG

Last edited:
Wishing you success for your masters Akash and a great stay there.
Keep posting about your experiences over there along with auto scenes.

Thread Starter #14
Wishing you success for your masters Akash and a great stay there.
Keep posting about your experiences over there along with auto scenes.
Thanks[:)]. BTW good to see you after so long.

That high way picture is amazing, and just shows how people maintain lane discipline. How was this picture taken ?
Lane discipline, obeying signals and road signs and what not? Feels like it has been decades since I heard a car honking. Not sure about the other parts, but on NY highways, if a car honks at you, it would be a good idea to check yourself for any fault. People usually drive within the speed limits, however, mostly I have seen people maintaining a margin of +/- 15mph.

Hmm, so this is what you left TAI Moderatorship for[evil].

Enjoy your stay there and oh, by the way Iron Rock is at New York today.

Top Bottom