Gorgeous Athirapally Falls and Back via Valparai: A Day Well Spent

Thread Starter #1

“Muttathe Mullakku Manamilla” (the jasmine flowers of our courtyard has no fragrance).We never see what’s in our own backyard, we search it somewhere else.[embarass]
BeFunky_DSC_0001_lzn.jpg.jpg

While in Kerala, I usually drive past this sign board many times, mostly during my frequent drive to Munnar. It’s just about 30 kms from here [Chalakkudy] to “Athirapally Falls”, one of the most spectacular scenic spots that I have explored so far. It’s shame that I never considered seriously to drive to this location until a couple of days ago, after which Athirapally has very deservingly become a must-watch experience and one of my favourite destinations.

BeFunky_DSC_0103_lzn.jpg.jpg

Route taken:

route.png

Since the ideal time to visit the Falls is during the monsoon with plenty of water and greenery all around, we will be paying another visit to Athirapally in July.

Re: A Day well spent : The gorgeous Athirapally Falls and back via Valparai

You returned via Vazhachaal, Valparai to Palaghat. How is the way from Vazhachaal to Valparai. It seems some Bus are shuttling these places. Some permission need to be arranged to travel to Valparai, right?

Re: A Day well spent : The gorgeous Athirapally Falls and back via Valparai

“Muttathe Mullakku Manamilla”
True...

Since the ideal time to visit the Falls is during the monsoon with plenty of water and greenery all around, we will be paying another visit to Athirapally in July.
Nice teasers...

I would recommend September to be the ideal month for a visit to Athirapally and Valparai.

How was the Athirapally > Valparai route. Last we traveled on that route, except for a few kms near valparai, the road was newly laid and great.

Some permission need to be arranged to travel to Valparai, right?
Not necessary. You only need to cross a check post.

Thread Starter #4
You returned via Vazhachaal, Valparai to Palaghat. How is the way from Vazhachaal to Valparai.
Yes. Its excellent but narrow for most of the distance except for some 15 km of bad road or so on the Kerala side a few kilometres to Malakkappara.

It seems some Bus are shuttling these places. Some permission need to be arranged to travel to Valparai, right?
I did see a bus commuting after Vazhachal but could not read the route as I had to negotiate the extremely narrow road with the bus coming opposite.

Some permission need to be arranged to travel to Valparai, right?
At Vazhachal check post, you will be given a "pass" after having your travel details entered and you signed on a register in front of an inspecting forest officer.

So You too a Mallu !:biggrin:

True...
I would recommend September to be the ideal month for a visit to Athirapally and Valparai.
Ok. Thanks and will keep in mind.

How was the Athirapally > Valparai route. Last we traveled on that route, except for a few kms near valparai, the road was newly laid and great.
As posted earlier except for some 15 km very bad forest stretch before Malakkappara, the rest of the roads were fine.

Thread Starter #5
04-02-2014

A lazy Tuesday morning. We woke up late. There were no programs scheduled nor any commitments made for the day. We were actually thinking of taking rest on that day. Logged in, using my Idea Net Setter, with a cup of tea. The enthusiast in me wasn’t really convinced to “waste” one day. Athirapally was always on cards for quite some time, but also considered “ Silent Valley” for a short day trip as the latter was only about 70km from home.

It was already 8..00am by then. Discussed with wify and finalised on Athirapally + Vazhachal for a day trip. We didn’t have anymore time to waste and in about 45 minutes got ready for the trip. Threw in my D3100, lenses, filters secured in a bag and tripod to the Car. Stocked up a couple of water bottles as well. At exactly 9.00 am, all three of us –me, wify and our trusty partner on roads- Scorpio M-Hawk, left home at Palakkad for what proved to be a fantastic one day outing.

We took the usual Ottapalam – Kulappully- Thrissur –NH47- Chalakkudy route which was not so relaxing due to heavy traffic in the morning. Hit the diversion point to Athiraplly on NH47 by around 11.00am and the 30km drive to Athirapally was good enough to calm us down after the earlier slightly stressful drive. The road was smooth and the drive was great.
4.jpg

There are quite a good number of interesting places on this route. Dream world water theme park and Silver storm water theme park are located on this road.
2.jpg
3.jpg
7.jpg.jpg

On either side of the road are there the beautiful palm trees. Though the bright sun and dryness was a spoiler for the photographer in me, the drive alongside the superb Chalakkudy river was very soothing, indeed.
5.jpg

Next Up .. Athirapally Falls !
27.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Athirapally Water Falls:

We reached Athirapally Falls at around 11.30 am. There is a ticket counter just before reaching Athirippilly waterfalls. And we bought this entry Pass for Athirapilly and Vazhachal waterfalls. Parked our car and headed towards the Falls.

ticket.jpg

It was noon and very bright. I used a ND filter to get the silky flow for the falls where I had to set very high f-number [f/22] with a shutter speed of not less than 1/3 seconds or so. I would have liked an early morning or an evening visit would have yielded better pictures and will keep that in mind for our next visit.

20.jpg

22.jpg

Both Athirapally and Vazhachal are located just 5 km apart on the edge of Sholayar forest ranges.

Athirappilly Waterfalls is located at the entrance of Sholayar ranges, the major host town is Chalakudy, this waterfall is one of the major picnic spots of Kerala. Affording to the onlookers, one of the most bewitching sights, Athirappally water Falls is 80 feet high and located exactly in the forest area. Combined with the natural greenery, it infuses freshness into any tired soul. The Athirapally Falls joins the Chalakudy River after plummeting a drop of 80 feet.

A much needed escape from the troubles and stress of life. Let the soothing sounds take you to some of natures most relaxing places - the beautiful waterfalls of Athirampally and Vazhachal.The charm of the Athirampally and Vazhachal nature cannot be described by words, Starting calmly from the high ranges, and crashing through gorges overhung with trees, these waterfall is one of the best places in India to re-capture a real sense of the classical idea of the 'Picturesque' - not just calm and sweet, but something wild and natural.

Athirapilly is the land of rivers and forests!The destination houses the largest waterfall in Kerala, the Athirapilly waterfall,one of the major tourist attraction. This patch in Sholayar ranges so beautifully intertwined with lush green forest cover and sizzling silver cascades and located central to Cochin and River Nila,is a treat for the eyes during the monsoon.Chalakkudy river, Charpa, Vazhachal and Athirapally are ideal places where the monsoon is to be enjoyed.
Know more here including Hotels, Resorts, Taxi, Packages etc : ATHIRAPALLY TOURISM

Some more pictures !

24.jpg

25.jpg

It was wonderful experience spending an hour and half or so, even with the Sun beating down in full glory. It was nice to see very little plastic litter thrown around in there.

A bottle of cold apple drink did help us from the heat and fatigue and we proceeded towards the car to continue our journey to Vazhachal.Since it was a working day, there weren’t many vehicles/visitors, which was a great relief.

Last edited:
Hi Manoj,
Some of the pictures are not uploaded properly in the previous post. May need to re-upload, and link it again. I have been to this place during the last monsoon season (August 2013). On way to Athirapally, you will find couple of churches. Nice road. Once near to Athirapally water falls, you will hear humming sound, and huge mist spreading to opposite side. It is fun to drive, but be careful one sharp turn on half way to Athirapally. You missed an important garden, Thumburmuzhi garden. This is a nice garden well maintained.

DSC01467.JPG

Yes. Its excellent but narrow for most of the distance except for some 15 km of bad road or so on the Kerala side a few kilometres to Malakkappara.

As posted earlier except for some 15 km very bad forest stretch before Malakkappara, the rest of the roads were fine.
I think the distance from Valparai to Athirapally is about 65 kms of which the first 10 kms or so id potholed road. Rest of the tarmac is very good.

Thread Starter #10
Hi Manoj,
Some of the pictures are not uploaded properly in the previous post. May need to re-upload, and link it again.
Will be re-uploading soon.Thanks

You missed an important garden, Thumburmuzhi garden. This is a nice garden well maintained.
Thanks for the pointer.
Since the plan was a pure pleasure drive, we didn't have time to explore places in detail. Will be planning one in the coming July-August to know them in detail.

Thread Starter #11
More pictures taken at Athirapally.

The entrance
9_lzn.jpg
10_lzn.jpg

No plastic zone through out the forest range [thumbsup]
11_lzn.jpg
15_lzn.jpg
17_lzn.jpg
31_lzn.jpg
32_lzn.jpg
33_lzn.jpg
34_lzn.jpg

Being a working day, there weren't many around = a great relief.
37_lzn.jpg

The road in the background takes you to Vazhachal and then Valparai

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Vazhachal:
38.jpg
Vazhachal is just about 5 km from Athirapally. Athirapally to Vazhachal is through the forest with an excellent but narrow road. One needs to be extra cautious while driving as there is a large population of fearless monkeys in there which often dance down to the roads. It’s their home and I drove past them slowly without disturbing them.
35.jpg

Generally, tourists do not go beyond Vazhachal.Our plan, earlier, was the same. We were really hungry as it was around 2.00pm.At the Vazhachal check post when asked, we were told that it’s only about 70 km or so to Valparai. Suddenly we thought why not get a bit adventurous and return via Valparai.

More pictures at Vazhachal.
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg

At the check post, after having our vehicle inspected and journey details entered on a register that includes the number of plastic bottles in possession, an entry pass was given which was supposed to be handed over at the other end of the forest stretch at Malakkappara check post. Within a couple of kilometers from Vazhachal Check post, we had lunch at a small hotel, where we were served meals with river fish curry.

Thread Starter #13
The "beast" in black parked at Vazhachal and the road towards Valparai at the Vazhachal chek post.
1.jpg

2.jpg
Beyond Vazachal, the narrow and winding roads take you through thick jungle with no sign of human life. Didn't see any wildlife and the drive was very refreshing indeed. Soon we reached Peringalkuttu reservoir.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The beautiful roads started to get worst with pot-holes and loose gravel spread on top made the drive a bit uncomfortable for the first time. I didn't bother to slow down but drove over the rough patches at ease. Soon, we found the forest range transforming into beautiful Tea plantations. Went through the formalities at the check posts at Malakkappara. At the Tamil Nadu check post, a gentleman [Policeman] joined us and accompanied until Pollachi.

The Sholayar Dam:

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The roads got super smooth again and we started descending down along those famous hairpin bends heading towards Aliyar then to Pollachi.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

We dropped the gentleman infront of the bust station at Pollachi. Took the first right and reached Palakkad in no time.It was a fantastic driving experience and wish to do the same route in July-August, during rains, to explore various spots in detail.[:)]

"Muttathe Mullakku Manamilla" [clap]

Kerala is truly a paradise.

The route that you took is like an f1 circuit loop really! And, is it any good to visit Athirapally during May? Will it be scenic enough during no-rains season?

And the roads heading to Aliyar are looking extremely tempting to drive, feeling surreal to even glance at them!

And your DSLR is rocking, amazing detail in the water fall images...

Top Bottom