Octy's Day Out on New Year's Day

Thread Starter #1
We wanted to have a small road trip on the first day of the year. We were discussing on 31st night about various options and finally concluded on the destination LEPAKSHI which is in Anatapur district in AP, and the distance is about 120 kms from my residence. Moreover, I read a lot about this place from our TAI forum, posted by the members and looked very impressive. I thought of calling few of TAI friends to find out their New Year’s Day program, and if they were free we would have all joined together and gone as a group. But unfortunately I couldn't reach anybody, and so only we two were there as usual. Never mind!!, We decided to go.

Lepakshi

Lepakshi (Telugu: లేపాక్షి) is a small village and Mandal headquarters located in the Anantapur District, in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is 15 km (9.3 mi) east of Hindupur and about 120 km (75 mi) north of Bangalore. From Bangalore, it can be reached by going west at Kodikonda check post on Hyderabad highway NH 7. Alternatively, one could take a bus or a train to Hindupur and then travel to Lepakshi.

Lepakshi is very important historically and archaeologically. There are three shrines dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and Virabhadra.

The famous Veerabhadra temple, dedicated to Veerabhadra, is located here. Built by the brothers Viranna and Virupanna, the temple is a notable example of theVijayanagar architectural style.[1] It is famous for its sculptures, which were created by the artisans of Vijayanagara empire. A huge Nandi bull made out of a single granite stone is one of the attractions in Lepakshi.The place is renowned for being one of the best repository of mural paintings (see below) of the Vijayanagar Kings. Many oldKannada inscriptions dating back centuries can be seen on its walls. Legend has it that the Naga of the Nagalinga was carved out of a single stone by sculptors while they waited for their mother to prepare lunch.

Temples of Lepakshi

There are three temples dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and Virabhadra. On a hillock known as Kurma Saila (tortoise shaped hill), temples of 'Papanatheswara', 'Raghunatha', 'Srirama', 'Veerabhadra' and 'Durga' are located. Veerabhadra temple is the most important temple.

Lepakshi is an ultimate testimony for Vishwakarma Brahmins who sculpted these temples. It is believed that noted VishwakarmaAmarashilpi Jakanachari took part in the planning the architecture of these temples. There are many shila shasanas that the famous sculptors like Dakoju, Maroju took part in this temple sculpture.

Points of interest in the Temple

There are many specialities in this temple like a rock chain, Vastu Purush, Padmini race Lady, the Hanging Pillar, Durga Paadam, Lepakshi saree designs etc. On the walls of this temple, several stories like the Mahabharatha, Ramayana are sculpted. On the roof are many beautiful paintings done by natural pigments. One noted spot in the temple is "Eyes of Viroopaakshanna". According to history, due to a misunderstanding with the temple's builder, the king ordered him to be blinded. Hearing this, the builder plucked out his own eyes and threw them at the wall. Even today those blood marks are evident on that particular wall.

Lepakshi Nandi

The monolithic "Nandi" sculpture which is said to be the biggest monolithic Nandi in India, is synonymous with Lepakshi. It is 4.5 m high and 8.23m long.
The big granite bull is on the main road, about 200 metres from the temple. It has been positioned such that it faces the shivalinga shielded by a huge serpent inside the temple. Said to be the second largest monolith in India, after Gomateswara, the Nandi sports a huge kaasu malai, a bell chain, earrings and other jewellery.
- Courtesy Wikipedia

First we thought we would pack some food as there is no restaurant around Lepakshi, as per the information given by our member friends who visited this place. Later, we changed the mind and decided to go ahead and see.

We started around 9 am, after our breakfast at home. The roads were free from heavy traffic and were able to drive in a relaxed way even in suburban roads. In between there are two toll booths and the toll fee was Rs 130/- for round the trip. We reached the destination around 11 am. The temperature out there was round 26 degree C, and totally pleasant to walk around the place. First we parked the vehicle near a park where the famous Nandi Statue is made. The surrounding area of the Nandi is maintained very well and kept clean as well. We took numerous pictures from all angles and spent about half an hour, and then proceeded to the ancient temple which is 500 meters away from this place.

The temple is situated on a rock, little above the ground level and there are steps to reach out. We had a good Dharshan there in temple.

The carvings done on the pillars are really magnificent and one could hardly believe that these are in existence for more than five hundred years. These spectacular carvings are spread around a vast area, and it was cool to walk around and capture as much as images. We spent nearly one hour there, but the time passed as quickly, as the views mesmerized us. We came to the parking area and started off to back home leaving some pleasant memories in mind especially on a New Year’s Day.

Around 1.30 pm we stopped at a restaurant on the high way and after lunch we continued and reached home around 3.15 pm.

One message I would like to share with all is that this place doesn't have a good restaurant, but those who pack their food and carry; there is a park near to the Nandi Statue with enough shade and can have the food there.

Attachments

Wow, Excellent info and Pics Ram Sir,

Your Year started with a good Trip[clap], Happy New year to you and your Family.

The Place looks very ancient. Will plan to visit one day [:)]

Thread Starter #4
remaining pictures of the trip

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Last batch of pictures of the trip

Attachments

WOW! That is a perfect day to start with Ram Sir. It just brought back the memories of my drive to Lepakshi on my TINY last year:-). Very crisp tl. BTW, your Octy looking stunning. Hope you had a great fun. Wish you and family a very happy new year 2014 ahead. May the year be filled with loads of trips and let the TL's flow on TOI as usual.

Girish

One message I would like to share with all is that this place doesn't have a good restaurant, but those who pack their food and carry; there is a park near to the Nandi Statue with enough shade and can have the food there.
Woow! The best way to start the year [clap]

Sorry that I didn't notice your call that day. I was in my friends place followed by the New Year Party Eve & the kids were using my mobile for playing games. Guess, they had skipped your call and I saw the call log only in the evening after I returned home.

Yup, like I mentioned earlier, it's good to carry our food to make the trip even more enjoyable.

These videos a caught on my Car Dvr/Blackbox
So, finally you got the DVR... From SP Road?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Wow, Excellent info and Pics Ram Sir,

Your Year started with a good Trip[clap], Happy New year to you and your Family.

The Place looks very ancient. Will plan to visit one day [:)]
Thank you AppU. Wishes to you and your parents too.

excellent crisp detailed travel log and very informative with good pictures as always.[clap]
Thanks a lot jayesh, indeed the temple is beautiful

WOW! That is a perfect day to start with Ram Sir. It just brought back the memories of my drive to Lepakshi on my TINY last year:-). Very crisp tl. BTW, your Octy looking stunning. Hope you had a great fun. Wish you and family a very happy new year 2014 ahead. May the year be filled with loads of trips and let the TL's flow on TOI as usual.

Girish
Thank you Girish for your great words and wish you too the same.

Woow! The best way to start the year

Sorry that I didn't notice your call that day. I was in my friends place followed by the New Year Party Eve & the kids were using my mobile for playing games. Guess, they had skipped your call and I saw the call log only in the evening after I returned home.

Yup, like I mentioned earlier, it's good to carry our food to make the trip even more enjoyable.

So, finally you got the DVR... From SP Road?
Never mind Figoian. In fact I called you in the morning to find out about your plan, and thought, would go together. We will see next time.

Yes, based on your words only we thought of carrying the food, but last minute got it cancelled.

None of the shop guys in JC road and SP road are aware of car dvr. They just sell some products but are not updated with the latest products available in the market. I got it through Ebay

First I ordered it from this link. But after a week they refunded the money as the vendor terminated the supply to them.

Car DVR - 1080p, 2.7 Inch Screen, Motion Detection, 16x Zoom | eBay

Later, I made a fresh order with another seller, and the link is down below.

12MP 1080P 2.5" FULL HD CAR DVR CAM VIDEO RECORDER CAMCORDER VEHICLE CAMERA | eBay

Ram sir, nice pics. what is the camera that you used? it's good to start a new year with a road trip and belated new year wishes to your family.

Thread Starter #11
Ram sir, nice pics. what is the camera that you used? it's good to start a new year with a road trip and belated new year wishes to your family.
Thank you for your words and wishes, wish you too the same.

The camera used is Nikon D5200 (24.7 MP) with 18/105 lens.

Nice short trip Ram Sir[clap] beautiful pics and the story. Out of all again the Octy win the show as I was wondering where is the pic and finally I found it which made my day. Kudo's to maintaining Octy so well sir. Some how you have entered in AP, you could have pushed little ahead on that excellent 4 lane road to meet us in Hyderabad. I wish we do the Vellore trip together when I am in Bangalore with family. BTW there are plans to visit Bangalore on 25th and 26th to visit a exhibition, so hopefully we make a meet on 25th[:)]

Thread Starter #14
Nice short trip Ram Sir[clap] beautiful pics and the story. Out of all again the Octy win the show as I was wondering where is the pic and finally I found it which made my day. Kudo's to maintaining Octy so well sir. Some how you have entered in AP, you could have pushed little ahead on that excellent 4 lane road to meet us in Hyderabad. I wish we do the Vellore trip together when I am in Bangalore with family. BTW there are plans to visit Bangalore on 25th and 26th to visit a exhibition, so hopefully we make a meet on 25th[:)]
Thank you RK for your words. To be very honest, a big trip is coming up in few months, so I have to start saving money for it, though I am very much interested to have a trip to HYD. Every time when I see a board written Hyderabad I only think about you, because you are the first TAIian I met in person. Certainly, we will have a meet when you come down.

nice way to usher in the new year ramji. wish you and family a belated new year with lots of miles and smiles.
Thank you SR and wish you and family also the same. And the link you sent on PM, I am yet to see it, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom