Bangalore - Coorg Cycling!

Thread Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Need help on the road conditions from Mysore-Madikeri. I am planning for a solo ride on the 27th from Bangalore to Madikeri. I have done Bangalore-Mysore cycling trip before so I know the road conditions but the problem is that I have never been to Coorg. I have no idea if the road is cycle friendly or not. So help me out guys.

I wish to know:
Road condition:
Weather Condition:
Locals-friendly/unfriendly:
Any uphill?:
Any roadside shops/coconut sellers?
I am planning to take this route: Bangalore-NH 17-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Bylakuppe-Kushalnagar-Madikeri.
How is this road?

And I'll be staying for a night in Madikeri. Is there any cheap hotels nearby? Just to sleep and use the bathroom? Like Rs 500-700?

Thanks in Advance:)
Joe

Re: Bangalore-Coorg Cycling!

If you are going towards Kushalnagar and Madikeri then then road is nice.
The road does have up's and downs till Kushalnagar which are gentle. But it should be steep once close to Madikeri since the town is on a higher location.
Weather is sunny with temp reaching 14 degrees at night since its December.
Locals are fine i guess. Traffic is full of tourists & their behavior can be questionable sometimes especially cabs.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

If you are going towards Kushalnagar and Madikeri then then road is nice.
The road does have up's and downs till Kushalnagar which are gentle. But it should be steep once close to Madikeri since the town is on a higher location.
Weather is sunny with temp reaching 14 degrees at night since its December.
Locals are fine i guess. Traffic is full of tourists & their behavior can be questionable sometimes especially cabs.
Thanks for the help bro:) Is there any cheap hotels as well at Madikeri town?

As prads said, You need not worry anything till Kushal Nagar (Except the small stretch in Mysore - bypass - do not know whether it is done now). You can even take a right before mysore and go via Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. It will be refreshing.
KushalNagar to Madikeri roads were okay. But, it is kind of ghat section where you end up taking lots of breaks because of the uphills. I think it is not hard like Nandhi hill uphill.

You know, I always thought Bangalore roads were without any up n down till I got my Cycle. As the roads are butter smooth to kushal nagar, you may not feel the steepness. (Still there are some ups and down.
Vehicle on the stretch go at really high speed. so keep EXTREME left. Or wear some 'Go green'/Bangalore Bicycle club tshirts.

Madikeri stay would not be a problem as there will be lot of hotels which you can get under 500RS. Kushal nagar is expensive than Madikeri stay

You can also make calls to some homestays in Madikeri town & make sure you get a good deal,i guess a bit of googling can help you. Yes as appus said,wear bright clothing

@A Cyclist

Really adventurous. This reminds me my childhood days, late 60s and early 70s, I used to ride bicycle for 100 kms at a stretch as an adventure and that too without my parents knowledge.

All the best and do take care, ride safe.

Thread Starter #7
@Prads, appus and AR RamThanks for the advice and support. Really helpful. I'll be wearing my reflector jacket throughout the journey. And I am in touch with a fellow cyclist from BangaloreBikersClub who lives in Madikeri. He is kind enough to offer me a night stay at his homestay:) So I am blessed. Hope to have an adventurous and exciting trip. Pics and my ride report coming soon. Stay tune:)
@AR Ram: Why have you stopped cycling? Come along and ride with us on weekends. You can always bring back your childhood memories:)

@Prads, appus and AR RamThanks for the advice and support. Really helpful. I'll be wearing my reflector jacket throughout the journey. And I am in touch with a fellow cyclist from BangaloreBikersClub who lives in Madikeri. He is kind enough to offer me a night stay at his homestay:) So I am blessed. Hope to have an adventurous and exciting trip. Pics and my ride report coming soon. Stay tune:)
@AR Ram: Why have you stopped cycling? Come along and ride with us on weekends. You can always bring back your childhood memories:)
Thank you for the encouragement. I crossed 56 years of age, will have to bring back the energy at least to some extent. Moreover at this age I don't think any other exercise can do better to keep the body fit.

I drove from Coorg to Bangalore today,the by pass road(Mysore) is still in bad condition.
Traffic is crazy in evenings alot of tourists cos of holidays. Around a day ago i actually thought a ministers convoy was passing through until i realized it was all tourists vehicles bottled up behind an arrogant driver.[:)]

@ A Cyclist
if you have those skymap app or any similar on your phone,use it to spot some stars and planets,the sky is quite clear & once your eyes adjust you can see every detail in the night sky since there is no light pollution.

Top Bottom