Weekend Excursion - Agra and Vrindavan: A Photologue.

Re: Weekend Excursion - Agra and Vrindavan; a photologue.

@torq118

Beautiful pictures [clap]. When was your trip? It will be wonderful if you can make a travelogue and post it with some more pictures. Your SAIL looks very elegant.

Thread Starter #3

@torq118

Beautiful pictures [clap]. When was your trip? It will be wonderful if you can make a travelogue and post it with some more pictures. Your SAIL looks very elegant.
Actually Sir, it is going to be a tlog only, by mistake I wrote photolog and by the time i realized, I had already posted.
The trip was in the month of September, 2013.

More pics and other details coming soon

Actually Sir, it is going to be a tlog only, by mistake I wrote photolog and by the time i realized, I had already posted.
The trip was in the month of September, 2013.

More pics and other details coming soon
Never-mind, you can make a travelogue and post it. Ultimately you are sharing your traveling experience with all of us along with pictures.

Thread Starter #5

It was the month of September and the Sun has started to show some mercy. The weekend was coming and we were planning for a short weekend excursion, the options to explore in 2 days were:
1. Lansdowne, Uttarakhand.
2. Agra & Vrindavan.
3. Alwar, Rajasthan.
4. Neemrana, Rajasthan.
For Uttarakhand I wanted to have atleast 3 days, so it was out and Rajasthan we would have to take NH -8 which is seriously a drivers worst nightmare these days. Hence the plan was finalized for Agra and Vrindavan.
The planned itinerary and the route:

route plan.JPG
Day1: Start at 6AM from Gurgaon, head to Taj Mahal reach by 11am cruising through Yamuna expressway.
By Lunch head to Agra fort and later to Fatehpur Sikri and return to Agra for a night stay and if possible drive to Mathura for Night stay.
Day2: Go to Kesi Ghat and Bankey Bihari Temple, after some loitering around in the Vrindavan, head back home and reach back home late evening.
Disaster struck early morning, I woke at 5:45AM, where the planning was to head by 6 and thu s avoid rush hour traffic at Noida. We left home at around 6:45, but were lucky enough to escape rush hour traffic and in no time we reached the entrance of Yamuna expressway. At the entrance, there was this small photo shoot.
road  surface.jpg
As you can see there are grooves at regular interval on the concrete. IMO that is the cause of tyres making so much of noise.

expressway.jpg

After the photo shoot we started cruising. Since I was working for a Road construction company on NH8 few years back, I always had hated Concrete roads, but I had read reviews from many people that this Yamuna expressway is different. I started cruising within the speed limits of 100kmph, the few things I noticed in my trip was that the tyre make so much noise ( may be because the company fitted tyre that came along in my car are appolo acelere) and tyre wear out more than on bituminous carpet. Anyway, I drove at leisurely speed of 80-100KMPH and was listening to various mix of Indian music, Old hindi, sufi, Punjabi and English.
Total toll for Noida – Agra (To and Fro) is 520 INR.

Utilities at YE.jpg
The pic is the Utilities and restaurant set up by the concessionaire at every toll on both sides of the road. The prices are bit on a higher side, but worth it. There were many cars, buses and trucks parked.

I had heard that there are no puncture shops available enroute, only at pitstops, but since necessity is the mother of invention, enoroute we saw many puncture shops. What they had done was that the shop was way down the pavement, but they had long hoses for the air supply.
At around 10:45 we reached the Taj Mahal parking.
We parked the car in the parking and before we had got down, there were atleast 20 people surrounding us. Among them were many so called guides, camel cart and horse cart walla.
I always ensure that I hire a guide when visiting some historic monument; they will always tell you the history in the way that will amuse you ( alteast I always find it amusing). I really don’t know if the facts they tell are true or not, but its entertaining for sure.
The Guide started quoting rates as high as 700 INR, but it was settled for 280 INR and he pays for the entry fee and the monument protecting shoe cover ( costing 20 each totaling to 80).
My wife was interested in Camel cart, the camel cart owner was smart, he started his story by saying that the main entrance gate is about 1km from here and quoted for rate 100 INR. Since it was pretty hot there, we just got into the camel cart. As soon as we entered the main road to the main gate entrance for Taj, he started telling stories about how Government pulled up the strings on the Industries that were flourishing in Agra and because of which many people were rendered jobless etc, then started with telling us the stories of the dense gardens that were on the both sides of the roads and very swiftly he says,” Isko batane ke liye hum 50 INR charge karte hain” ( We charge 50 INR for telling you this info) and there was this grin on his face. I was in good mood and didn’t want to spoil it for 50INR. Just about 200 mts ahead,he parks the cart on the side of the road, where there is some Handloom emporium.
We entered the emporium and the sales guy starts showing us various miniature taj mahals and ofcos the story about the workers who made it (which I seriously think was exaggerated and most of it were lies). My wife likes few and we enquire few. I said Okay when we will get back, we will purchase.
Here comes the trick of their trade, the saleman says” Sir aap yahan se vapis nahin aaenge, nikalne ka gate doosra hai” ( Sir, you will not be coming out from the same gate, for exit there is another”. I though he must be saying the truth and we pay him 2000 INR for the things we bought, when asked about the discounts and all, the sales person starts with the story that this is Government run and hence the prices are fixed. Although the quality, I later found out was better than other similar items sold in the open market, but I paid atleast 500 INR more to them. Anyway, as a token of appreciation, they gave us a guide complementary and shoo’d away the one we hired.
The best benefit of a guide is that you won’t have to stay in the que for the tickets. The guide got the tickets from the side window and within no time we were in the Taj Mahal.
Since my wife wanted to have an album of this trip, we hired a photographer for this trip. I must say they are very shrewd and one should negotiate with them, first when I spoke to the photographer, he quoted a rate of 60INR per shot and minimum of 60shots. For this price he will be printing the photographs, setting it in an album and giving us a CD as a soft copy. 3600 INR total, and when I heard 3600, I said do I look crazy or what? 3600 INR?. I don’t want it and started walking, but then my wife was eager to get the pics ( which I seriously can’t afford to ignore for my own safety reasons). Hence the deal was struck at 2400 INR. But the photographer did a good job and although the price was on a higher side, I didn’t mind ( as my wife as happy).
By the time we got out, we were thirsty and hungry, but the show was not over ( atleast for the guide). He starts with the story that the people who built taj mahal, their future generations are still here and they are the one who makes original Taj Mahal Miniatures. After listening to this, I ask “ Then what the @#$% did you guys sell me?” to which he says, those are original too. Government sources it from them only. He takes us into this narrow alley market and before entering he warns me to lookout for my wallet as there may be many pickpockets. He asked me to just follow him. We diligently followed him, hoping to look at the people who will be making the TAj mahal miniatures, but he takes us to a shop similar to the Government shop from where we bought Taj Miniatures. I got angry, but not to show to him ( as I was not comfortable in that place). I just declined to everything they showed and finally got out of the shop.
Since, he was unable to sell us anything ( which would have resulted in, him getting some commission out of the sale) he asks us if we want to purchase authentic “Panchi Petha”, to which I said Yes. Then he took us to this shop, where there were varietly of Petha’s. We took 2 packs for 500 and started from there to the parking lot.
Soon I started wondering about one things, what would be the cost of 1kg petha, I thought maximum it would be 400INR/kg and when I measured the weight of the 2 packs I bought was not even more than 500gms. I laughed at my stupidity and how easily the guide convinced me to buy it.
Later to our horror, he took us out from the same gate from where we entered. I got seriously angry for them lying to us, but then I said never mind, whats happened has happened.
By the time we reached parking lot, the photographer got us all the prints in an album and gave us a CD.
We bid them adieu and as a tip my wife gave the guide 200 INR ( which he seriously didn’t deserve)

Here are the pics:

Entrance of Taj.jpg
After the ticket checking and security check, this is the main gate for the taj entrance. The white chorten type structure which you see on the top of the strucuture, when the Tai was being built, with every year passing, one of these were erected. There are total of 22 of these ( Only 11 in this pic) hence it took total 22 years to taj to be built. ( as told by my Guide)

taj entrance gate as seen from taj.jpg
In this pic you can see the other 11 ( but need to zoom)

@torq118

Wonderful pictures [clap].

These kinds of guides are there everywhere exploiting the tourists. Best thing is to avoid shopping going with them and with their guidance. of course there are genuine people also, but identifying them is difficult.

I must say they are very shrewd and one should negotiate with them, first when I spoke to the photographer, he quoted a rate of 60INR per shot and minimum of 60shots. For this price he will be printing the photographs, setting it in an album and giving us a CD as a soft copy. 3600 INR total, and when I heard 3600, I said do I look crazy or what? 3600 INR?. I don’t want it and started walking, but then my wife was eager to get the pics ( which I seriously can’t afford to ignore for my own safety reasons). Hence the deal was struck at 2400 INR.
Holy cow[surprise] 3600 for photo shooting may it be 2400.
What a rip off ?? It is too high.
In my recent visit (Sep 2013) to Mumbai near gateway of India we also hired a photographer.But deal was struck with Rs.15 per photo with Hard copy.

Never take the help of guide to purchase anything . They will try to cheat you all the way they can find.If at all guide is required, take the govt. certified guide (they are also not safe).They are at least better than those non certified.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Holy cow[surprise] 3600 for photo shooting may it be 2400.
What a rip off ?? It is too high.
In my recent visit (Sep 2013) to Mumbai near gateway of India we also hired a photographer.But deal was struck with Rs.20 per photo with Hard copy.

Never take the help of guide to purchase anything . They will try to cheat you all the way they can find.If at all guide is required, take the govt. certified guide (they are also not safe).They are at least better than those non certified.
You are absolutely right, I learnt it the hard way, all i do is [lol] on me for these silly mistakes.

You are absolutely right, I learnt it the hard way, all i do is [lol] on me for these silly mistakes.
If you can carry a tripod during your trips, it will help you a lot in situations like this. And the photography also will be better.

Thread Starter #12

If you can carry a tripod during your trips, it will help you a lot in situations like this. And the photography also will be better.
Sir,
these shots are not taken from SLR, but Samsung galaxy tab3

Thread Starter #15

By the time we got out of the Taj Mahal, the clock was ticking at around 2:15 PM. We were hungry, thirsty and tired. The weather was hot, infact hotter than Delhi. My wife had already started to talk about dumping the Fatehpur Sikri in the list, when I asked about if she would like to go to Agra Fort, she straight away declined citing hot weather as the reason. Since I didn't want her to come with me forcefully, we started looking for a place to eat. There was this restaurant ( I don’t remember the name) we ordered few regular things and we settled down on the sofa. The restaurant was new, it was inaugurated just a day before and looking at the prices, I thought that the owner wants to get rich within a week. It took some time for our order to get served and by the time my wife had decided that the Agra is done, she is not interested in Agra fort and was asking me to head to Vrindavan. After some thought I said okay and soon we were back on road.
20130928_151614.jpg
The diversion for Vrindavan after you get down from Yamuna expressway is tricky. After enquiring the direction from a cop and gps, we were on the right path. The road to Vrindavan is narrow and has potholes where you would never expect. There are many 90 degree turns but there are hoardings that will keep you on track.
20130928_160612.jpg
Narrow roads.

20130928_160719.jpg
Crossing the river - sparkling water.

On the outskirts of the Vrindavan, there was this huge traffic jam. Just as I turned off the engine, there was this Yogi approached me and said “The jam is huge, you should take a u turn and head to Kesi Ghat, from there, there is another way to reach the main temple”. Since a Godman had told me this, I didn't doubt it and took a u turn and headed to Kesi Ghat.
Since I had some sky light left for the day, my wife and I agreed to have a small boat ride at the Kesi ghat and then head to the temple.
As soon as I Parked the car, there was this man approached me for the offering me a boat ride. The rate he quoted was 400 INR and said that he will take us for a ride to the places ( names of which I don’t remember).
The ride was worth it, we had a good time.
Kesi Ghat.jpg

kesi-12.jpg

kesi ano.jpg

kesi close.jpg

clos.jpg

boatman.jpg

WHile on the boat ride, the boatman took us to show the tree where Shri Krishna ji use to get on, after taking all the clothes of the Gopis. Also he showed us the temple of the Nag, that Shri Krishna ji conquered.
Tree.jpg

kalia naag temple.jpg

kalia naag closeup.jpg
The Boatman was a good man, he warned us not to get into the words of the Panda ( local priests at the tree and Naag temple), as they will take commitment from you for x amount of donation.

Later we went to the Bankey Bihari temple, since the temple is situated in the very crowded area, hence I could not click pics.
way to BB temple.jpg
After the visit, we drank Lassi and ate Kachori there. Both the things were delicious and bought Mathura ke pedde.
Vendors.jpg
Since the clock was ticking 8 PM, we decided to head back home, we started from there at about 8:30 and reached Gurgaon by 11 PM.
While coming back, I thought of cruising at the max speed possible. I tried and touched 170KMPH without any hassle, but the tyres were making so much noise, that I started fearing a tyre bust and reduced the speed to 100KMPH. The visibility of the highway at night is magnificent with lots of cat eyes and thermoplastic road markings, you really enjoy it.
top speed.jpg

End Mileage.jpg

total trip KM.jpg

The End!! ( Tlog to Silised Lake, Alwar Coming soon [:D])

Last edited:

Top Bottom