Destination Orange County Coorg (Madikeri)

Thread Starter #1
My type of vacation always involves lot of physical activity, in India generally most of the places we visit during our vacations involves such activities whether you want it or not. Even though during the trip one would feel tired exhausted but later when you recall your memories you like it and it gives a feeling of on achievement after all we are growing old everyday![frustration]

But this time I choose a different menu, I chose a place which is famous for relaxation called 'Orange County'. I had been hearing lot of stuff and hype about this place. I think its become a household talk in the techie world, its like "You have not been to Orange County?...hmmm" (as if your life is so wasted...[evil]). So finally packed our stuff.

Please note this trip took place 2nd Sep 2012, I wanted to write this travelogue but never got a time to publish it here, so after my last 'Goa Trip' travelogue I felt I should do this too. So here it is..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Destination Orange County Coorg(Madikeri)

Journey:
Basically this trip was for my family of 4. Since I am from Mangalore, it’s about driving distance (about 170kms). Started from Mangalore at about 8:00 AM; since the HW 88 is now better than before was able to reach small town ‘Sullia’ at about 10:30. Had our break and light food and started out to Madikeri(Coorg). Next step is crossing the western ghat(region called ‘Sampage’). Couple of years back these roads were really bad and I had a bad feeling. Initial leg till we reached ‘Kodagu district border’ was not so good.(But now at the time of actually writing this travelogue, almost all the bad roads have been totally rectified and have new roads built!) But once I entered Kodagu District the whole thing changed! A perfectly built Highway were I could enjoy the smooth scenic ride. Although I have some questions for the highway builders, why they provided additional curves on the road where it was not necessary? People who get nausea while travelling might get sick faster than you think [frustration], Ok back to topic we just stopped at some interesting points to view some of the spectacular views from Kodagu district. Please note this area is always wet during rainy season. Here are couple of pictures from the road!

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Thread Starter #3

Orange County:
Finally we reached ‘Orange County’ at around 2 PM, yep it took some time as the last leg of our journey did have some road issues. Very narrow roads and some confusion on direction. But thanks to my GPS enabled phone.
As we stopped our car at the lobby we were greeted by a ‘traditional local band’,[clap]. That was something I never expected! As we walked in to the reception area, ‘Kodava Style’ saree clad girls treated us with the freshly brewed coffee and the hot towels, it was really refreshing!
IMG_4149.jpg

We were taken to ‘Presidential Villa’ and given the instructions and the know how’s about the villa and the surroundings. So far all good. The rooms were perfect nothing to complain about. Had a spacious living area with satellite TV, Fridge, Coffee maker, kettle and microwave. Everything was clean and shiny. It even smelt good. The bedrooms with large queen size bed and climate control. Attached were a large bathrooms with bath tub, standing shower and other amenities in perfect condition.

IMG_20120904_102930.jpg

IMG_20120902_140504.jpg

IMG_20120902_140533.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_20120902_141411.jpg

They have 3 separate eating places inside the Orange County; we stuck on to ‘Granary’ all the time. Food was really mouth-watering, there was abundant food of all varieties and we just went crazy with the food. And here I must say that ‘This was the best eating experience I ever had in India’. [evil]

Thread Starter #4

Activities:
They have lot of activities organized through the day (no charge ofcourse) to keep you busy (if that is the way you enjoy our holiday, like me!) There are activities such as village walk, plantation walk, forest walk, Kaveri river boat ride etc. We could not do the forest walk as it was raining and we did not have right gear (mainly the waterproof shoes to walk in the forest), again we could not do Koracle (Boat) ride as the water was full because of the rains and powerful current was there. Also they have play area where you have chess, caroms and TT. There is also a swimming pool but again it was raining and was cold for swim. There is also fishing activity in the local small pond.

Some of the pictures

Plantation Walk
IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

Library, where you could relax and sip a frothy coffee!
IMG_4041.jpg

More cottages spread across the wide estate, some with private swimming pools!
IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_20120902_154239.jpg

Thread Starter #5
More pictures..

Library from outside
IMG_20120902_154107.jpg

Library from inside
IMG_20120902_154221.jpg

If anyone thinks about god, here is a small church
IMG_20120902_180205.jpg

Granary, where we ate is on the first floor, ground floor there is a playing area and the auditorium.

IMG_20120903_100051.jpg

I must say "Coffee was just fantastic"!
IMG_20120903_170045.jpg

Thread Starter #6
The conclusion:

What I liked
  • Perfect rooms and amenities, all happy smiling employees greeting us with ‘Namaskara’ where ever we go!
  • Perfect room service.
  • Best food offered.
  • Coffee served where ever possible for free (during the ‘walks’ and when ever you are at reading lounge.
  • Walk in the greens, sound of birds water all natural and in a safe environment

What I wished they had
  • Most of us these days are always want to be connected to internet but there was no internet facility available, I wished they had Wi-Fi connection in common areas atleast, I had Tata-Photon dongle which did not work. My Airtel 3G switched to ‘Edge’ mode but was able to connect to my emails.
  • Activities need to be more interactive and more planned. Walking in the village is ok but I wanted much more involved activity. Just by eating and relaxing does not make a holiday for me(I know 99% of the people who come here for the relaxation and outstanding place for that). So you might feel the activities too dull.
  • Road to the ‘Orange County’ was not good, I dropped my idea of visiting the Coorg city because of the road condition during our stay.
  • Needs tennis and shuttle badminton courts. Swimming pools needs to be heated one(at least the common pool)

What you need to carry

• Full body covering cloths, this area rains or drizzles all the time. Hats and rubber shoes must if you are a activity person.
  • Carry internet enabled phones if you are connected person.
  • Camera is a must as it’s very scenic.
  • Carry all your medication and essentials as it’s kind of remote and once you are in you may not leave the place, you tend to get lazy(Thanks to good food they serve)

Over all the best location and the best experience. But overall I felt the tariffs are definitely higher than I would justify. Hope you enjoying reading it.

Thank you and Drive Safe!

Nice to read about your stay,what are the expenses like,i guess it differs from seasons.

I learnt swimming here when i was a kid(lost touch now).
Good to see the place has improved alot.

Thread Starter #9
Nice to read about your stay,what are the expenses like,i guess it differs from seasons.

I learnt swimming here when i was a kid(lost touch now).
Good to see the place has improved alot.
Prads, thanks for the feedback, place is very good for relaxation. But its more pricey, in our case I think we paid something like 20~24 K per night this included the lavish food for 2+2, but still does not justify that price!

Another short and nice travelogue ! Thanks Indian for sharing it.

20-24K is really over priced i feel. Dinner & lunch ->2000 per person also will end up only 8000Rs + Breakfast of 500x4 ->10000Rs for food a day(MAX). 14K for room ?

By the way, how many days you stayed? Could not find it (or i missed). Being passionate on photography, photos are less this time too?

Would love to see roads from Mangalore - Sulya - Madikeri road including those bad patches

Thanks again

Thread Starter #11
Another short and nice travelogue ! Thanks Indian for sharing it.

20-24K is really over priced i feel. Dinner & lunch ->2000 per person also will end up only 8000Rs + Breakfast of 500x4 ->10000Rs for food a day(MAX). 14K for room ?

By the way, how many days you stayed? Could not find it (or i missed). Being passionate on photography, photos are less this time too?

Would love to see roads from Mangalore - Sulya - Madikeri road including those bad patches

Thanks again
Yes it was expensive, no doubt about it. I have lot of my friends praising it like hell. Its the talk of the wify world. So wanted to taste it. That's all. We stayed for 2 days. But there were something like 50 cottages and you know what? they are 99% full. You need to book well in advance. But once in people tend to spend time in the food or inside their cottages. Even for the nature walk kind of activities very few people came out. [frustration] Probably all tired people come there just to forget the world [evil]

I will see if I have more pics of the trip, but mind you now the road condition is extremely good. Only one thing I am not sure the 20 Km ride from Madikeri town to Orange county itself.

Thread Starter #12
More roads
IMG_3789.jpg

Western Ghats
IMG_3815.jpg

Road from Madikeri to Orange County
IMG_3877.jpg

Inside Orange County
IMG_3941.jpg

My daughter watching the peacocks passing by, for her money worth spent at that moment [evil]
IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Main Lobby of the Resort
IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_20120902_115914.jpg

Thanks for sharing with us Indian.

You have summed up it well.

For me driving in midst of nature is more of relaxation.

I have been a frequent visitor of Coorg, during our every visit to Mangalore. Since 2009 - 2012.

You should have tried, Madikeri's East End.

There was Abbe falls, Dubare Elephant Camp, Raja's Seat and Bhagamandala is worth visit during October - September.

Well we have a relative in Madikeri.

The roads are good in Madikeri City.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks for sharing with us Indian.

You have summed up it well.

For me driving in midst of nature is more of relaxation.

I have been a frequent visitor of Coorg, during our every visit to Mangalore. Since 2009 - 2012.

You should have tried, Madikeri's East End.

There was Abbe falls, Dubare Elephant Camp, Raja's Seat and Bhagamandala is worth visit during October - September.

Well we have a relative in Madikeri.

The roads are good in Madikeri City.
Thanks Mukesh, I have been visiting Madikeri frequently, thanks to the short driving distance [clap]. East End I make sure I take atleast one lunch there. It is one of the best restaurants available at Madikeri IMO. All the places you mentioned have been visited. BTW I did stay in Dubbare Forest inn during my previous visits, here are some pics from that trip. My experience is about 2to3 years old but that was the best experience I had at Madikeri.

Top Bottom