A Weekend Drive To the Port Town of Haldia

Thread Starter #1
Last weekend (14 Sep), my cousins and I (with family) decided to go for a short drive to Haldia (121 kms from Kolkata). Decided the book the night at Golden Resort which according to Tripadvisor is the best place to stay at Haldia.

Started around 2:30 PM on Saturday afternoon and on the way stopped for chai and refreshments at Shere Bengal dhaba. Drove at a sedately pace of 80km/hr and reached Haldia at about 6 PM. Couple of additional stops on road due to small kid's fooding requirements, but otherwise a good drive. Roads are very good (with 3 tolls on the way) with some small stretches near Kolaghat under repair.

The hotel (Golden Resort) is 4 star and though you get the feeling that it has seen better days.. is still the place to stay at Haldia. Rooms are spacious and food is good too. Lots of space for the kids to play and also enjoy the swimming pool.

We also visited the bank of the river, near the dock area where the municipality has made benches and seats for the public and you get a good crowd during the evening time to view the sunset.

During the return journey, had a good opportunity to test the Figo on the highway and it performed admirably. Not sure if its due to the chassis, you don't feel the 5 less horse power (when compared to Swift) as in reality you dont really feel the lack of power. I was easily doing 100-120 km/hr and still had enough to cruise past larger vehicles (Verna, Xylo etc.). That too in a fully loaded car with luggage.

Also can confirm that the head lights now are just adequate for highway night driving. Upgrade to Philips Xtreme vision and you will not need to go for higher wattage lamps.

The car is very sure footed and excel at the corners and I really had fun driving it back to Kolkata though it cost me my mileage (~16.5 km/lt overall). The brakes also performed very well (though on stock MRF) and saved a dog who had unexpected jumped in front of the car. Braked hard and steered out of the way or would have nearly killed the poor animal.

Overall a very enjoyable trip.[:D]

Attachments

@chayan

Though it was a short trip, the narration, a short test drive report of Figo and the pictures are just wonderful [clap]

Your son was excited when he was airborne from the pool. Too good of a photography.

Last weekend (14 Sep), my cousins and I (with family) decided to go for a short drive to Haldia (121 kms from Kolkata). Decided the book the night at Golden Resort which according to Tripadvisor is the best place to stay at Haldia.
You reminded me of my last visit to Haldia. I stayed there at the Haldia Bhawan, under the Haldia Development Authority. This building overlooked the river and gave a grand view. This is one.
060.jpg
This is a photo of one of the passing ships visiting the Haldia Docks, taken from my room. BTW, did you not go to Geonkhali and Mahishadal Rajbari?
Warm regards,
Rahul,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.

Thread Starter #4
You reminded me of my last visit to Haldia. I stayed there at the Haldia Bhawan, under the Haldia Development Authority. This building overlooked the river and gave a grand view. This is one.
View attachment 109391
This is a photo of one of the passing ships visiting the Haldia Docks, taken from my room. BTW, did you not go to Geonkhali and Mahishadal Rajbari?
Warm regards,
Rahul,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.
Hi Rahul
Our trip was planned overnight and hence we were not able to include these places. Also it was one night stay and we left pretty late on Saturday.

But will include them surely next time we go that side. Is there any good places to stay at Geonkhali?

Also how do you get bookings at Haldia Bhawan?

Please let me know.

But will include them surely next time we go that side. Is there any good places to stay at Geonkhali?
Yes, there is one hotel at Geonkhali. Although I had never stayed there, I was once told by a person that the accommodation was decent. It is located on the riverbank. But you please make sure that you get a room on the first floor, to get a good view of the river. Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the hotel, though I have a photo of it.
057.jpg
This is a photo of the road to Geonkhali.
050.jpg
Please allow me to show a picture of me standing in front of the river.
059.jpg
Also how do you get bookings at Haldia Bhawan?
Haldia Bhawan is run by Haldia Development Authority. Please see this page to get the relevant information. The room rates and the contact numbers provided there.
Warm regards,
Rahul

Top Bottom