Anniversary in Wayanad – My First Ever Travelogue!

Thread Starter #1
Anniversary in Wayanad – My First Ever Travelogue!

At first, I planned to publish a very detailed TL while planning for this trip. However, making it short for reasons you guys obviously know. Few bitter experiences turned this trip not to be so great, but yet, a good one to cherish and few lessons learnt.

It was our 7th Anniversary (am I getting old?) and we wanted to celebrate it elsewhere than just normal. Refer to the Prelude @ http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/13943-prelude-anniversary-wayanad.html. We always have some friends to join together for any trip and proposed to few such. Few of them agreed and in which one couple had their son’s 3rd Birthday on the same day of our anniversary. They too wanted it to be celebrated in a different way as we did our son’s last Birthday in Shivanasamudhram (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/8555-shivanasamudram-talakad-weekend.html). One couple were from Chennai and they too wanted to join. Welcome all… So, 4 Families with 3 kids… Whatte Fun!

All set, Homestay Booked, Bags Packed, Tank Filled, Drinks Stocked, what else? Route as suggested by all – Bangalore – Mysore – Gundalpet – Sultan Bathery – Kalpetta. We started by morning 4:30 AM, which was originally planned for 4. IST, can’t help it. We again spent 30 mins to cross the twin railway crossing before Tumkur road due to heavy traffic. Took a Tea Break @ somewhere after Ramnagara and entered Mysore without any breaks. That’s where we broke… I don’t want to detail it again, [frustration] it’s all here. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...3-prelude-anniversary-wayanad.html#post321370

Lesson: In case of such accident, be cool, get the police to the spot and settle down with some amount.

Anyways, had Breakfast at Kamat in Mysore and headed to Gundalpet. After few KMs, the A/C stopped working all of a sudden. Rather, the blower wasn't throwing much of air as it should be and the cooling is almost none. Moreover, there was some strange noise more than the air blow. I switched it off for an hour or so and started again. Worked well. (Had the same issue again while returning at the end of the trip just before reaching home. It again worked well the next morning... Couldn't guess the issue. I anyways had reported this issue with FASS while I gave it for Body Work.)

Drive from Gundalpet to Wayand was a pleasure being inside the Forest and on great roads though it’s just a single lane. But worth to mention, Speed Breakers do the Spoilsport.

Stopped for Tea after entering Kerala border, while still in the end of forest (RTO Check Post) and had nice Kerala Kattan Kaapi (Black Coffee). Here we start our Mallu Food Festival!

From there, we had to cross Sulthan Bathery, Meenangadi to reach Muttil which is where our Homestay was booked. It took about 40 Mins.

Homestay - As we all wanted Homestay against Hotels/Resorts, we happened to get one called Karakkatt Homestay for good rates. The tariff was just Rs. 750 Per Night / Per Couple. As we wanted 4 rooms for 2 nights, it totaled to 6K and he was ready to give it for 5K. Everyone was happy and readily agreed to pick this "after seeing the pics in their website" (karakkatt holiday home) and paid an advance of 1K by net transfer.

One family which was coming from Chennai reached there as early as 7 AM and had their shock of their life by seeing the condition of the Homestay. It's no where near to what is shown in the pics... At least somewhat? NO... It was old, unpainted, untidy, dirty with all insects and their ****s! Our friends had asked the owner to clean it at least for which he replied the maid hasn't come yet. Then our friend cleaned the rooms herself as we were getting kids which is not a place to be.

They then called us and have updated about the Homestay, but not to the extent of all of these, but just said, "Don't expect too much". And when we reached, we shared the shock they would have had... All were upset and especially me as I was organizing this trip including this Homestay and just had an accident few hours ago... I said, we are not staying here, whatever be it. Let's go out, have lunch, come back and check out. We did so, however, the owner wasn't ready to refund the advance or even some of it, which we very well expected to be. But the reason he said was agitating to all that "we already have used the rooms and he now need to clean it". Everyone shouted at him for their satisfaction and moved out.

Went to couple of places and checked. Finally, landed in a place called Green Mount Homestay, in Kalpetta which was quite good and reasonable. It had 4 rooms in Ground & 1st Floor. Each room with a Bigggggggggg Bathroom and a small living room type arrangement with a sit out / balcony. He quoted 1200 per night including breakfast. All liked it and especially after seeing the 1st one. The service was good too and on time. Bonfire was arranged once for a cost of 500 which is a bit high. However, he didn't charge for the Tea/Coffees which we had numerous times. On the whole, it was a good and pleasant experience being there. I would highly recommend, rather command to stay away from Karakkatt.

We settled in and had Coffee / Tea etc. and decided to relax for the rest of day as it’s already 4 PM. After a while, we went out to buy snacks etc. for the party. Got some Hot Hot Freshly prepared Banana Chips and Spicy Mixture. Those were the Heaven on Earth, really. We also wanted Mallu Spl. Beef Ularthiyathu (Roast) and Chicken Snacks and ordered those in the nearby hotel. With all stuff, we back Home, got freshened up and SAT… Had an amazing time with all friends for few hours. The Fun & Joy is immeasurable. Ladies too joined us to finish of those delicious Chips & Mixture and the soft drinks. The Room Service was available to get the food parcels from the same hotel. All stuff we got from that hotel weren’t good and especially Beef Ularthiyathu. It was just a Chinese Chilly Beef. This hotel is called “New Hotel” but there since 1979 or so… Stay away if you want authentic Mallu Food. Retired for the day by about 1 PM or so as we all decided to leave early in the morning for sightseeing. We planned for Banasura Sagar Dam, Meen Mutty Falls (Small), Lakadi View Point for that day.

Saturday, our Anniversary and friends’ kid’s B’Day. As decided last night, we all woke so early in the morning by about 8 AM… Finished BF, Idly, Chatni & Sambar. Yup, disappointing as it wasn’t Aappam, Puttu, Kadala / Mutta Kari etc. but requested it for next day at least and he agreed. All got ready as early as 11 AM and headed to the Cake Shop. We already have ordered it for the kid’s B’Day, so picked it up and moved to Banasurasagar Dam. The parking is about 500 mts from the entry point. There is a jeep service for Rs. 100 from the entry gate till the dam and return too. The views were splendid and likely to be rained. Found a pretty small and neat place to celebrate the B’Day. Decorated the place and had a cake cut session.

Had some Photo Session and enquired about Speed Boating. Two Hours waiting period… Yup, just saw the boats from a distance and moved back Jeep point. We all were damn hungry but had wait for about 20 mins for jeep. Meen Mutty Falls was ahead of Banasura, however, since we had to have lunch, we came back about 5 KMs for a hotel. Had an awesome Fish Curry Meals, with some Fish Fries which weren’t so great to mention. Headed back to Meen Mutty Falls and found a paid parking place. We learnt there that, we need to trek for about ½ KM to reach the falls. Still, you can’t take bath as it’s far from the view point. Started climbing… All were dead tired while we reached the falls but the kids 4 Yrs & 3 Yrs were so enthu and fresh. They walked all way up & down on their own. We gave a big round of applause for that… The Falls isn’t very great, but kind of OK. Way down back, stopped at a place and had Lemon Tea, Sharbath, Bread Omlet etc. and jumped in to the cars for Lakadi View Point.

The Lakadi View Point is about 27 KMs from there and we reached there by about 7 PM. It was pitch dark there then and couldn’t see anything. However, it was very misty and so we thought it would be a good idea to come back there the next morning. While moving back home, saw an accident which could have just happened as we didn’t see any while going to the view point which was just about 20 mins back. A Santro & a Lorry had Head On Collision. Can’t see anybody in the car as they would have been taken to hospital. But can see the Engine Bay is almost done… Maybe because of the Mist as it was absolutely Zero Visibility there… Hope they all are doing good and nothing major.

Way back home, stopped at a different hotel and the first thing we asked was Kerala Parotta & Beef. He nodded and we jumped in. It was simply amazing… Even the Chicken Masala with rich Coconut Oil flavored was mouth watering. Done till nose and reached home. The Care Taker arranged for Bonfire and we all sat encircle. The Bonfire was supposed to be of the previous day, but couldn’t do as it was slightly drizzling. So, we had a couple of Beers and did justice to the Bonfire. It wasn’t so cold to have a Bonfire, yet, it gives a good feeling of being on a trip right.

Day 3, Sunday – Started again with Kaapi and Break Fast (Aappam & Kadala Curry). The Kadala Curry was bit disappointing as they have used White Channa instead of the traditional Black Channa and the taste too wasn’t so Mallu… So somewhat OK…

We thought to cover Lakadi View Point, Pokode Lake and one among Chembara Peak, Soojipura Falls or Edakal Caves. The first two were covered and nothing much great about it and were thinking which one to take for 3rd as we have very less time left. We learnt, none of it is doable having kids as we have to trek. Moreover, the Chennai friends got to reach Calicut by 5 PM for the bus. So ideally, they should leave Kalpetta by at least 3 PM. Hence, we thought go to Homestay, Check Out, Have Lunch and head to Edakal. The Chennai folks can board Calicut bus from Sulthan Bathery instead.

For Lunch, again the same hotel of last night, we ordered almost all that was listed in the Menu. Most of it was good and some were excellent. Nothing was disappointing at all. By the time we finished the lunch, it was already 2:30 PM and the Chennai folks were to leave. Hence, thought the rest can cover Edakkal if possible.

To be Contd...

Thread Starter #2
Cont...

Now, another disaster… The Chennai folks couldn't get the tickets for return thru Tatkal as planned. Hence, they had to opt for Bus which is scheduled for 5 PM from Calicut and so, they got to leave by at least 3 PM from Kalpetta. After lunch by about 2:30 PM, the ladies wanted some "quick" shopping... We all went to a shop and lost some time and it's already 3:15. To add, it started pouring like never before and the people in the shop suggested taking bus from Kalpetta to Calicut won't be a good idea as they can't reach by 5 PM. We got to arrange for a cab now, which is not only expensive but again the time. Yet, that's the only choice. There was one Tavera available for 2K, which we felt to be extremely high for this distance (60 KMs). We got a jeep for 1600 bucks. But then I thought, couple of us can go and drop them and come back as the distance is not too much. For the rest, I spoke to the Homestay owner for couple of hours, and he readily agreed. Such a nice chap... Hence, we sent out that Jeep who also charge 50 bucks for waiting...

I went to take my car out of parking, but just can't. Three cars were parked behind me in that narrow space (Vallet Parking) and the security guys had to remove it all to take mine. It took about 15 - 20 mins to get my car out and by that time one the friends reminded me that we should cross the Forest before 6 PM or else we won't be allowed. If we go to Calicut and return, we will not be able to make it before 6 for sure. Aaaaahhhhh we already have sent off the Jeep too... Catch 22. No choice, call the Tavera now...

Later the next day we got to know that they still were not able to make it on time and delayed by 20 mins. Somehow, the travels made them to board another bus which dropped them till Palakad and from there they had to take an auto and catch their original bus which was waiting… Seems they got troubled to the core.

Lesson: We should have sent them off right after the lunch, thus saved 2000 bucks + a lot of tension.

We then left from there for Bangalore, and it was pouring. Rain vanished while we crossed Kerala Border and had Kattan Kaapi from the same place we stopped the way up. Started again thinking Mysore to be the next Pit Stop, but stopped in between as we saw some vegetable markets in the highway. Picked up a good amount veggies for Rs. 110 which is just doable for a KG of Onion and some Curry Leaves in Bangalore.

Next scene, RRR Hotel in Mysore, quite famous for Biriyani. Are you guys still hungry to have Biriyani even after hogging till nose there for last 3 days? The answer is always “Yes” and it was in Chorus! [clap] Finished the dinner and headed back Home, Sweet Home by about 12:30 AM.

On the whole, it was a good trip with great company. Despite all bitter situations we faced, we still had a very good memorable time with all friends, Booze Party for hours together, Visited some places which were pleasant and most importantly, hogged the Kerala cuisine like being on the last day on this earth [:D]

About Wayanad, not a great place, but good for a visit. If visiting with Kids or Elderly people, not a right choice as every point / place need to be trekked for at least a KM or two. If visiting during monsoon, may look lush green and beautiful, but stay indoor. Winter (Nov – Jan) would be ideal with pleasant to cold weather.

PS: Actually, I started this post just to list down the couple of bitter experiences apart from the accident. However, made it a TL as I wanted to make one in the beginning. Pics are yet awaited from my friend’s SLR.

Thanks for the TL though it is sweet and sour mixed. But thank God, nothing major happened.

You faced the problem with the AC, because the evaporator was getting choked with ice formation, mainly due to the malfunctioning of thermostat I feel. Once ice is formed inside the blower, the throw and the cooling will be less just like the traditional refrigerator's freezer cabin. Once it is melted off, it will come back to normal. You can suspect the thermostat and the Ac filter. (A probable cause for poor FE too)

In case of accidents, its always better to call the cops. But at times it may not be possible in some situation like you were in.

Its always advisable to book the accommodation after seeing the review about the service, location, pricing and importantly discount.

Yes, everyone make mistakes, and we learn lessons only through mistakes. So, don't worry, take it in a sportive way, and an experience too.

A small tip out of my experience; At least 5 minutes before you switch off the engine, switch off the Ac compressor manually and run the blower high, so that all the ice formed inside the evaporator will be melted off, thus prevents the fungus and dirt formation inside, and helps the efficiency for a longer period.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the TL though it is sweet and sour mixed. But thank God, nothing major happened.

You faced the problem with the AC, because the evaporator was getting choked with ice formation, mainly due to the malfunctioning of thermostat I feel. Once ice is formed inside the blower, the throw and the cooling will be less just like the traditional refrigerator's freezer cabin. Once it is melted off, it will come back to normal. You can suspect the thermostat and the Ac filter. (A probable cause for poor FE too)

In case of accidents, its always better to call the cops. But at times it may not be possible in some situation like you were in.

Its always advisable to book the accommodation after seeing the review about the service, location, pricing and importantly discount.

Yes, everyone make mistakes, and we learn lessons only through mistakes. So, don't worry, take it in a sportive way, and an experience too.

Waiting for the remaining TL and pictures as well
As I expected, you were the first one to comment... [clap]

Yes, I too have suspected the Thermostat. Let's see what FASS would say. BTW, even I thought about the Poor FE issue connecting with this. Then skipped it I am eventually trying to connect everything there... But when you too have mentioned the same, that's a point to consider for sure.

We earlier had booked many such resorts just by seeing pics and reviews over net and none were turned out to be disastrous as this so far. This one was an exception. However, it's good to have a thorough review from all possible sources before we finalize anything. It's a lesson of course.

TL is done. Just pics are awaited.

Your first day went with accident, bad home stay etc.
But after that you had merry time .

How much time dose it take from Bangalore .

And what about your figo mileage this time. Got any good news on this during this trip.

Thread Starter #6
Your first day went with accident, bad home stay etc.
But after that you had merry time .

How much time dose it take from Bangalore .

And what about your figo mileage this time. Got any good news on this during this trip.
We started by 4:30 AM and reached Muttil (Near Kalpetta) by 12:30 PM. Like wise, from Kalpetta we started by 4 PM and reached home by 12:30 AM. So, about 7 - 8 Hrs including breaks.

Nothing great about Mileage. 15.04 - 4 adults and 1 kid on board with 50 - 60% AC. Considering the Hill Drives, Speed Breakers, Long Idling etc. not sure whether it's a decent figure or less. But surely not something to be proud about.

We started by 4:30 AM and reached Muttil (Near Kalpetta) by 12:30 PM. Like wise, from Kalpetta we started by 4 PM and reached home by 12:30 AM. So, about 7 - 8 Hrs including breaks.

Nothing great about Mileage. 15.04 - 4 adults and 1 kid on board with 50 - 60% AC. Considering the Hill Drives, Speed Breakers, Long Idling etc. not sure whether it's a decent figure or less. But surely not something to be proud about.
couple of last lines in my previous posting is edited, with a small tip

Thread Starter #8
couple of last lines in my previous posting is edited, with a small tip
Noted Sir. Thanks.

A small tip out of my experience; At least 5 minutes before you switch off the engine, switch off the Ac compressor manually and run the blower high, so that all the ice formed inside the evaporator will be melted off, thus prevents the fungus and dirt formation inside, and helps the efficiency for a longer period.
I do this regularly (everyday), but for a minute or two on the same blower speed set while the A/C was on. Will practice it as suggested by you. Thanks much for the tip.

Finally a Happy Ending to a not so-good starting day. Nice to know that you enjoyed the trip despite of some bitter experiences.

Edakkal caves are something people talk about more. I have never visited Waynad even though it is just 140KM from my home in Kerala [cry]. Will do this in an year or two :)

Regarding reviews : - If a person is written only written one review & given highest ranking (5/5), i do not normally take it. Sometime he may be right. But, i check for other reviews.

Do not pay amount unless it is travel websites (known ones). Or pay some 200rs or so. Anyways, do not worry much as you got a better place to stay.

And, normal behavior of keralite (than the business minded people) is to make the guest comfortable to the maximum. Many do not like that black channa, so they might have prepared white ones for you. You know white is more expensive than black :) . I love that and when we have some guest here, we make sure we prepare white ones.

Some road side restaurant 'Thattukada' makes yummy dishes than some Big named restaurants. Since that is a tourist spot, can not expect much though.

Thanks again for writing the travelogue. Congratulations on your first one.

By the way, I was thinking about Columbia Asia in bangalore / Outer Ring Road (ORR) and not the one near Mysore. That is in Mysore Ring Road (MRR) and not ORR :)

Nice to see another foodie in TAI

EDIT : Forgot to mention - Upload the Pics once you get them

Last edited:
Nice writeup Figoian [clap]
Sorry to hear about the Chennai couple. Hope they made home in time, safe.
Never ever trust the pics of the homestay/hotel posted on their websites. They all are mostly fake [anger]
Waiting for the pictures.

Thread Starter #11
my home in Kerala.

I love that and when we have some guest here, we make sure we prepare white ones.

Nice to see another foodie in TAI
I picking only the points that are favorable for me... [:D] When are you calling us home? [:D] But make it Black Channa for us!!!

I picking only the points that are favorable for me... [:D] When are you calling us home? But make it Black Channa for us!!!
You can come on any Sunday with prior notice [:D] . Our breakfast on Sunday's are normally at 10.30 - 11 AM :)

:waiting: for the pics

Thread Starter #13
You can come on any Sunday with prior notice [:D] . Our breakfast on Sunday's are normally at 10.30 - 11 AM :)

:waiting: for the pics
Like it... High time to have a "Like" Button in TAI too... [lol]

Sure. Reminded my friend for the pics. Will get it soon.

Unable to upload the pics as all are 3 - 5 MB or more in size. Will have to resize and upload...
That is not an excuse. [evil]
There are many tools to do that. If you do not have ACDsee, try Irfanview . You convert as a batch (if you do not want to crop individually) and upload.

We can not wait anymore ! You will be banned for life if you failed to do so. (hope mods do not see this)[glasses] (By the way, sunday we had black channa [;)] )

Last edited:

Top Bottom