A Weekend at Yercaud. Travel from Chennai in Our New Alto 800

Thread Starter #1
It has been 3 months since we brought home our new blue boy Alto 800.
2013-05-11 08.01.16.jpg
All this time, I rode him in the Chennai city (meaning heavy traffic and senseless auto rickshaws) and occasional highway drive from one of my workplace. Both, I and our boy were itching to get onto a NH and throttle like we never did.
I was waiting for an occasion and a reason to take him out for a long drive and there it was. On August 19 we will be celebrating our first wedding anniversary. Is there any better occasion and reason to plan a getaway? As the milestone falls on Monday, I won’t be able to take a break from work because of official reasons. So we shifted the plan to the previous weekend were Ramzan fell on a Friday and we had 3 days to spend.
I evaluated destinations that our boy could get us within 6-7 hours. Pondicherry was too close and doesn’t offer anything special for someone from coastal region and also I planned for a 2 night stay. I did not have much choice other than Yercaud. Thus we pinned down the destination.
This being an economical trip (Leave alone petrol expenses:-P), I evaluated economical and safe stays through Tripadvisor and HolidayIQ. Finally depending on the reviews, I booked MM resorts.
Wify packed all the needful and was ready for the travel. I filled up our car on the previous day itself at Shell. I woke up at 4 30 AM and cleaned up the car. Our blue boy was ready to take us long.

We started from Chennai at 5:30 AM.
Our first out of many breaks at a fuel station on outskirts of Chennai.
At FS.jpg

Four lane narrowed down to two lane at few points. But if it is as smooth as you see below, who cares.
Smooth roads.jpg
NH.jpg
We maintained a steady speed between 85-95 KM’s. I didn’t want to stress our little boy.

Suddenly we were surrounded by hills.
Nearing.jpg

My wify was laughing at my speeds. All the other cars were big boys and they zoomed past us. Even 90 felt like 30. But I stressed on safety and smoothness of the journey.
driving.jpg

After the delay caused by so many breaks, we reached Yercaud at 2 PM. Following are few snaps at MM resorts.
MM (2).jpg
MM.jpg
MM3.jpg

At Anna park
lake.jpg
rats.jpg
pea2.jpg

Boy resting while we have lunch at the Water front.
car resting.jpg

View from hills
view.jpg
We had a lot of these guys everywhere.
monkey.jpg

Enroute Servaroyan Temple. Highest peak at Yercaud.
ser.jpg
serv2.jpg

At maha meru Temple.
meru2.jpg
Route to Yercaud
C-Y.jpg
From Yercaud
Y-C.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on your trip. Waiting for the remaining parts. I will be doing this on this Sunday in our Dzire. Booked Hotel Sheravoys (Orchid room) for a night. Hope they wont let us down.

By the way, Warm welcome to TAI.
Nice to know that you preferred safety over speed.

Take care,

@Vinodchandran88

Welcome to TAI.

Wonderful details of your trip and beautiful pictures. I believe Villupuram-Ulunthurpet-Kallakurichi-Attur-Salem road is superb now. How was your first hand driving experience on a long drive with your new Alto? Was it raining in Yercaud?

Thread Starter #5
HI AR Ram

Thank You. Yeah the entire stretch was fantastic to drive. Butter smooth. I was truly amazed by the comfort this route offered me. Both when we were inside and outside the car. There were well maintained large fuel stations for refreshments throughout the route. I slowed down a bit only on SH 18 as the route was little bumpy after you turn from Ayodhipatnam HP fuel station.

And talking about my first long drive (apart from Kanchipuram visit which I do not call a long drive), It was great. This was my first hill drive too. My Alto supported me well. I am more confident and relaxed now [glasses].

It was raining only after Mr. sun is off. Days were pleasant and cool but not cold as in other hill stations. Still a good choice for 2 days stay.

Regards
Vinod Chandran

Vinod,
That is it ? No more photos ? Two nights ? Did not visit other places than on photos ? Ladies/Gents/Baby seats / pagoda point / loop road / etc etc ?

Looking forward for complete journey details.

Thread Starter #7
sorry appus, most of the snaps were of our own. I didnt have a travelogue in mind when I did this.

ATTACHING FEW MORE SNAPS.....

PAGODA POINT
pagoda 2.jpg
Pagoda point1.jpg

LADIES SEAT
ls 1.jpg
ls 2.jpg
ls 3.jpg
ls 4.jpg

KILIYUR FALLS
kiliyur 1.jpg
kiliyur 2.jpg

Good pictures again.[clap]

hope you might have gone for the boating. And your Alto color is just beautiful.

Wow nice trip Vinod and nice pictures. Meanwhile what was the distance covered and what was you fuel details how much did it cost?

Thread Starter #10
@ AR RAM

Thank You. Ya we did visit the lake and boating. Believe me the pedal boats are in horrible condition there. Torque blue which was not my initial favorite is my current favorite replacing the granite grey.

@ Kinky

Thank You. We covered 840 Kms. Mileage as per FTFT method is 19.75 kmpl on highways and 15 kmpl after hill driving.

Total Cost (only Basic Expenditures leave alone shopping/ munching/ entrance fees)
Fuel ~ 3500 (I had more than half tank fuel after doing the trip)
Room rent ~ 2500
Toll~500
Food~2000

Total 8000 INR.

Thank You
Vinod Chandran

Last edited:
@ AR RAM

Thank You. Ya we did visit the lake and boating. Believe me the pedal boats are in horrible condition there. Torque blue which was not my initial favorite is my current favorite replacing the granite grey.

@ Kinky

Thank You. We covered 840 Kms. Mileage as per FTFT method is 19.75 kmpl on highways and 15 kmpl after hill driving.

Total Cost (only Basic Expenditures leave alone shopping/ munching/ entrance fees)
Fuel ~ 3500 (I had more than half tank fuel after doing the trip)
Room rent ~ 2500
Toll~500
Food~2000

Total 8000 INR.

Thank You
Vinod Chandran
Yes pedaling the boat is really tiresome, as it moves very slowly.

The cost of the trip looks reasonable. Most of the cases Toll will work out around 50ps per km.

All the Pics are Excellent Vinod[clap]

I never been to Yercard so far. after seeing your pics, I wanted to see those places [:)]

Hope will do a small trip soon.

Top Bottom