7 Days Road Trip and Splendid Goan & Mahabaleswar Holidays

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends

Just came back to Bangalore on 10th August 2013 evening after 7 days Road Trip to Jog Falls, Goa, Mahabaleswar and Panchgani.

Originated from Bangalore on 4th August 2013.

Car : My favorite Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi ; Top Speed – 195 kmph ; FE – 20.3 kmpl

People travelled: Me (self drive), my wife

Distance covered: 2423 kms, and 500 kms yet to go, Total: 2923 kms.

Camera used: Nikon D5200 (18-105 lens) 24.7MP, Sony CS 7MP and Tripod

I am making a detailed travelogue and will be posting it soon with lot of pictures

Re: 7 days Road Trip and Splendid Goan & Mahabaleswar Holidays

Ram Sir great to see another Travelogue from you. Waiting for it :)

Wow!!! [clap] another achievement added to your hall of fame Ram Sir.
Bring it on. I am glued to this thread [;)]

Woowwww. Excellent time to visit Mahabaleshwar. Waiting for more from Travelogue and Pics.

Thread Starter #5

The trip was planned a month before and the accommodations were booked in advance at Goa and Mahabaleswar through Cleartrip. As usual we were carrying all the essentials. We were looking at the weather forecast and found that it would be raining all the way. We made sure that we had taken two umbrellas also with us which we found very useful later.

Day 1: Bangalore to Goa – 710 kms

The route we travelled was Tumkur>Tiptur>Tarikere>Shimoga>Sagar>Jog Falls>Honnavar>Murudeshwar>Ankola>Karwar>Panjim>Calangute

On 4th Aug 2013, as we wanted to start early in the morning, previous night itself I filled up the fuel tank. We started at 5.30 am from the house. We took the Outer Ring Road and the traffic was not that heavy being on Sunday, crossed Tumkur within an hour and deviated from NH 4 to Shimoga and Sagar. The first few kms the roads were not all that good but later I found it very good though it’s a two lane road. And the traffic was also very less, so I could maintain a good speed. Around 8.10 am, we reached a place called Kadur and stopped for breakfast. Though it was a small hotel, the idly/sambar served was really delicious.

After the breakfast, we started at 8.40 am, and crossed Tarekere at 9.15 am, and then Bhadravathi at 9.35 am. As we were nearing Sagar it started raining intermittently that reduced the driving speed. Around 11.05 am we reached Sagar town and Jog Falls is another 29 kms away. We continued our drive, and it was greenery all around and the drive was really pleasant. Around 11.30 am, we deviated from this road and took a left turn to Jog Falls which was only a couple of kms away. We crossed the bridge over the furious Sharavathi river. At 11.40 am we reached the parking area of Jog Falls. Being on Sunday, there was a heavy flow of tourists and vehicles, however we managed to get a parking place.

Jog Falls
Jog Falls is created by the Sharavathi River falling from a height of 253 m (830 ft), making it the second-highest plunge waterfall in India after the Nohkalikai Falls with a height of 335 m (1100 ft) in Meghalaya.

Sharavati, a river which rises at Ambutirtha, next to Nonabur, in the Thirthahalli taluk and takes the northwesterly course by Fatte petta, receives the Haridravati on the right below Pattaguppe and the Yenne Hole on the left above Barangi. On arriving at the frontier it bends to the west, precipitates itself down the Falls of Gersoppa, and passes that village (properly Geru-Sappe), which is some 29 kilometres distant, discharging into the sea at Honnavar in North Kanara.
The Sharavati, flowing over a very rocky bed about 250 yards wide, here reaches a tremendous chasm, 290 m (960 ft) deep, and the water comes down in four distinct falls. The Raja Fall pours in one unbroken column sheer to the depth of 830 ft (250 m). Halfway down it is encountered by the Roarer, another fall, which precipitates itself into a vast cup and then rushes violently downwards at an angle of forty-five degrees to meet the Raja. A third fall, the Rocket, shoots downwards in a series of jets; while the fourth, the Rani, moves quietly over the mountain side in a sheet of foam. The Tourism Department has built steps from the viewpoint to the bottom of the hill where the waterfall can be seen at the opposite side. There are approximately 1400 steps built to reach the bottom of the hill. – Courtesy Wikipedia

The view of Jog Falls was really great. And due to Monsoon, the falls were at its best. It was drizzling all the way and due to heavy mist the falls were playing hide and seek. I took every opportunity to capture maximum number of pictures and video clippings. My earlier two visits to Jog Falls were ended up in JOKES, as there was no water, but this time it really compensated.

Almost spending some 50 minutes there at Jog Falls we started at 1.30 pm, and Honnavar is another 58 kms from this place, where we thought we would have our lunch. Around 2.00 pm we had our lunch at a hotel called Shiv Sagar at Honnavar, but not up to the standard.

We continued the drive at 2.20 pm towards Murudeshwar which was only 27 kms away, and reached there at 2.40 pm. The temple was closed at that time and couldn’t have darshan. After spending some time and taking some photographs, we started again at 3.15 pm.

Around 5.00 pm we crossed Karwar and entered Goa at 5.25 pm. Panaji is another 95 kms from this point. At 5.30 pm we stopped at the toll booth to pay the Entry Fee to Goa, Rs 250/- for cars.

Around 7.15 pm we reached the Resort at Calangute.

We enjoyed every second of the journey though it was our 6th visit to Goa.

to be continued

Attachments

Thread Starter #7

Remaining photos of Day 1

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
Amazing set of pics. Your travelogues are detailed and excellent with lots of pics.

Top speed of 195kmph is amazing!
Thank you mastiandroid5. More details and pictures are on the way

I was doing that speed only for few seconds. I was confident about the car but not the road.

Wow. Finally, the wait is over.

By the way, Did you not click Jog Falls with your 5200 camera ? Looks like all these photos are from Point & shoot camera (with date on the photos).

Falls looks awesome. Wish I could go there right now :)

Thanks a ton for posting the travelogue.

Thread Starter #13

Wow!!! [clap] another achievement added to your hall of fame Ram Sir.
Bring it on. I am glued to this thread [;)]
Thank you for your compliments.

I am posting the pictures and TL ASP

Thread Starter #14

Woowwww. Excellent time to visit Mahabaleshwar. Waiting for more from Travelogue and Pics.

Mahabaleshwar was really nice and green. It was raining heavily there and the roads had become bad and dirty. And some of the roads were closed too.

Thread Starter #15
Wow. Finally, the wait is over.

By the way, Did you not click Jog Falls with your 5200 camera ? Looks like all these photos are from Point & shoot camera (with date on the photos).

Falls looks awesome. Wish I could go there right now :)

Thanks a ton for posting the travelogue.
Hi appus!!

Yes all the photos were shot with D5200 including the video. The original HD video clarity is very good.

Top Bottom