Vellore - Munnar in Vista VX: Just AWESOME

Thread Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I'm back with my New TL Vellore - Munnar.

Munnar was in list of visit from very long. finally I made it on last week.

From June 1 onwards I was planning to visit Munnar & finally got leave on 13th & 14th + Saturday & Sunday, totally four days.

While collecting the details of Munnar, I found a thread from Hemant on Travel litnery , regarding the trip to Munnar from B'lore. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ing-bangalore-munnar-trip-mid-may-2013-a.html So I too joined there & got very useful information from our forum Member. thanks to all of them.

BTW, during the trip, I've faced so many changes in Plan. Will let you know along with the TL.

Here are the details of the trip:

Car : Vista VX(Whity)
Starting place : Vellore
Destination : Munnar
Number of Occupants : Three(Myself & My Parents)
GPS Device : My Samsung Andriod Mobile with Google maps.

Day 1(13-06-2013):

I planned to start from home at 3:30am, but we all waked up at 3:30am :). As all the items are packed on previous day. we just had a fresh bath & loaded the packages in Vista & left the home around 5:00am.

While starting the trip:

2013-06-13 04.52.25.jpg 2013-06-13 04.52.49.jpg

Route Planned : Vellore - Salem - Perundurai - chennaimalai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet - Munnar.

(We have a relation at Chennaimalai, so we planned to visit them during the trip. so I've chosen this route.)

After starting from Vellore, We never stopped anywhere in the middle. We stopped after 250Kms from Vellore at Salem Bye-pass to have a Tea.

while Having tea at Salem Bye-pass( I overtook the Xenon some 10mins back also joined with Vista for Tea):

2013-06-13 07.47.58.jpg

while we crossing Salem around 7:30am, We received a call from my Sister from Chennai saying that she also willing to join the trip. we have not informed that we already started our trip & she thought that we will start the trip round 8:00am only[lol]

we don't know what to do next & we are not willing to leave her for the trip. So we took some time to think. in the meantime we finished our breakfast at
some small hotel. the breakfast was really good.

After having the breakfast, we decided to pick my sister at Chennai, So I started the car & headed towards Chennai from Salem.

Before Starting to Chennai, we found this Enfiled riders & I've enquired them & came to know that they are going to Sabarimala from B'lore & they all are from Royal Indian Forum
:

2013-06-13 08.43.54.jpg

2013-06-13 08.44.38.jpg

2013-06-13 08.49.51.jpg

Route Taken from Salem to Chennai as per GPS: Salem - Valapadi - Attur - Kallakurichi - Ulundurpet - Villipuram - Tindivanam - Chennai (around 350Km).

From Salem - Ulundurpet, the road was top notch, we not even felt a single bump. from Ulundurpet to Chennai, As usual four lane NH45. Statted from Salem

at 9:30am & reached Chennai outskirts at 12:10pm. but it took 1hr 20Mins to reach Tambaram to Besant Nagar.

while starting from Salem I had a chat with our TAI watsapp group & asked for the best route from Chennai to Munnar. Then our Senior member called to my

number & asked why I need a route from Chennai - Munnar. I explained him the situation. then he Promised me that he will text the best route to Munnar from Chennai.

We reached Sister home at 1:30pm & had Lunch there. on Thursday 1:30-3:00 pm Raghukalam, So we spent some time at her home, In the meantime I received a Message from CoolDhaya saying that Chennai-trichy-Madurai- Theni- Munnar is the best route.

Then we started at 4:00pm & I decided to halt in Madurai. I was doing some 100-120Kmph & reached Trichy(Samayapuram) around 8:30pm for dinner. we
finished our dinner & started to Madurai around 9:30pm & we reached Madurai around 11:30pm.

I took the room near to Meenakshi temple. The room rent was Rs.1000, but the room was not worth for Rs.1000. As it was already late, I don't want to
waste time. So I accept that room & we stayed there for 7Hrs.

Day 1 came to an End with 1074Kms:

2013-06-14 09.10.44.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Vellore - Munnar in Vista VX : Just AWESOME

Day 2(14/06/2013):

We had a Sound sleep & waked up around 7:00am. the day was brighter than previous day. Heavy Sun rays in the morning itself.

We all got ready around 9:00am & headed towards Munnar.

Route Taken: Madurai - Usialampatti - Andipatti - Theni - Bodinayakanur - Mutuvankudi - Devikulam - Munnar

To avoid city traffic we skipped the breakfast at Madurai & left the city. Near checkurani we brought the breakfast & had it under tree shade before Usilampatti.

Vista Posing while we having Breakfast:
2013-06-14 10.39.29.jpg

The road condition from Madurai to Bodi is excellent. It is a two lane wide road.

Madurai- Theni Road:
2013-06-14 11.21.15.jpg

At Theni we stopped for a tea around 11:30am. After Theni we have to take right to Munnar in Thekaddy road. The road is newly laid road with good sceneries.

After Bodinayakanallur, we started to climb the hill at Munthal. Before the Munthal there is a check-post. But, no-one was there so I proceeded further.

The road we are climbing the hill is very dangerous. road widening is in progress. Because of the there are so many bricks/huge rocks scarted on the road. There is no sign board at any place & no side walls also. We have to be very careful while driving on that road.

Whity taking breathe to Climb the Hill:

DSC05101.jpg

Road condition from Munthal to Kerala Border:
DSC05104.jpg

DSC05107.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

DSC05112.jpg

DSC05113.jpg

Police checking at Kerala Border:
DSC05114.jpg

this road condition continues till Kerala border. Once you enter into Kerala, the roads became very narrow with beautiful sceneries. It is really joyful to drive on those roads.

Roads towards Munnar from Kerala Border:
DSC05115.jpg

DSC05116.jpg

Whity landed in God's Own country[:)] :
DSC05117.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

DSC05119.jpg

Last edited:

Nice starting AppU [clap]. Waiting for the remaining TL and pictures

A small correction - it is "raahukaalam" not "Raghukalam". Raghuram is my name dear [confused]

I think for years together the road condition is like this from Kumili/Thekkady to Munnar. I did on this stretch some 10 years back, some places were very narrow and dangerous.

Good pictures AppU. Whitey looks great and bright especially with the green background. [clap]

Wow ...!
The Really Awaited Travelogue by Appu is out...!
Awesome Writeup and Waiting for More Pics.

That's a massive driving.[clap].

When I had visited Munnar, @ Check post, they were charging Rs.20 for unknown reason. I think I paid around 4-5 check post like that. Each were taking 20 rupees.
Is it happening now also ?

When I had visited Munnar, @ Check post, they were charging Rs.20 for unknown reason. I think I paid around 4-5 check post like that. Each were taking 20 rupees.
You will come across lot of forest check posts when you are going from Pollachi to Munnar. But I don't think they charge anything; only you got to stop the vehicle and enter your name and other details on their register and then proceed.

The Check post your talking about is in the Udumalaipet side and in Bodi side only one check post. Because of wild life santuary you have Forest check post (Tamilnadu and Kerala), Revenue (Tamilnadu and kerala) and Again another two[lol]

Thread Starter #9

From Now onwards, we were not able to predict the climate there. Bright sun will appear for few minutes, then clouds will cover the sun, heavy rain will pour for a minute. heavy breeze will be followed.

ahhh what a climate change!!!
DSC05126.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

DSC05128.jpg

DSC05129.jpg

After we crossed Devikumlam, we found a huge valley on the right side. It was truly majestic:
DSC05131.jpg

DSC05133.jpg

Panaroma Shot of the Valley:
DSC05132.jpg

When I'm nearing the Munnar, we can able to spot the Tea estates.

At time point, It was full of Lush green. I stopped here & spent some 30 mins here:

DSC05134.jpg

DSC05135.jpg

DSC05136.jpg

DSC05137.jpg

DSC05146.jpg

DSC05149.jpg

DSC05156.jpg

DSC05161.jpg

DSC05168.jpg

Couple of Pics which I clicked in my Mobile:

2013-06-14 14.16.42.jpg

2013-06-14 14.17.24.jpg

will continue tomorrow, Stay tuned[;)]

Last edited:

Just a word AWESOME ...!
Waiting for more pics.
BTW where did u stay at munnar ?
Vista really needs alloys.

Thread Starter #11

Nice starting AppU . Waiting for the remaining TL and pictures

A small correction - it is "raahukaalam" not "Raghukalam". Raghuram is my name dear
Sorry Ram Sir, I'm week in translating Tamil to English[:D]

I think for years together the road condition is like this from Kumili/Thekkady to Munnar. I did on this stretch some 10 years back, some places were very narrow and dangerous.

Good pictures AppU. Whitey looks great and bright especially with the green background.
Thank you for your compliments :)

Wow ...!
The Really Awaited Travelogue by Appu is out...!
Awesome Writeup and Waiting for More Pics.
Thank you Buddy, More & more pics are on the way :)

That's a massive driving..

Thank you Buddy,

I found only Two check-post, One in TN & other in Kerala, While going to Munnar, Kerala police checked a Fortuner in-front of me, But not mine[:D]

while returning I've entered the details of Car & My Name & Mobile number in TN check-post.

Just a word AWESOME ...!
Waiting for more pics.
BTW where did u stay at munnar ?
Vista really needs alloys.
Thanks again,

Buddy, Still I've not reached Munnar. Once I reached, I'll let you know where I stayed[;)]

Will install the alloys while replacing the tyres at 45K

1074km is a good distance to cover in one day specially with some hill driving also involved..

The pics are good and the tea gardens look refreshing.

I myself had visited the Himalayan Tea Gardens around the time you were visiting these gardens.

Thread Starter #13

Continuation..

After spending some good 30Mins Break, we again started our trip.

From here, Munnar is some 20Kms. I switched off the A/C & rolled down all the windows to enjoy the chillness there. My camera started clicking the Beauty of Nature, My car moved in snail speed.

Black Roads with Greeny surroundings was Just Awesome to Drive:
DSC05170.jpg

DSC05171.jpg

DSC05172.jpg

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05175.jpg

DSC05176.jpg

DSC05177.jpg

At one Beautiful turning, I found a Tea shop. I stopped there to have a Tea. Once I got down from the car, there was a heavy breeze. It was literally pushing us. Then I ordered Ginger tea & roasted corn. Tea was good but corn is not that much tasty :(

Beauty of Nature:
DSC05178.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05191.jpg

DSC05192.jpg

You can think about the Breeze there,by looking into the trees :
DSC05185.jpg

Panorama Shot:
DSC05183.jpg

Thread Starter #14

Once we finished Tea & corn, again we started,

Camera again started to click the pics:
DSC05194.jpg

DSC05195.jpg

DSC05196.jpg

In Few KMs, we found a beautiful Falls. But, Bathing was restricted there [anger]

@Water Falls:
DSC05197.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05204.jpg

DSC05198.jpg

DSC05207.jpg

I just washed the hand, the water was Freezing cold & the water force is high. I tired to wet my hand-key, but the force of the water took the hand-key along with the water [lol] I filled that water in empty water bottle & kept in Boot [:D]

Beauty of Falls from Distance:

DSC05209.jpg

Good pictures AppU.[clap]
Yes, could make out the breeze, definitely, would have been followed by rain. But so pleasant

Top Bottom