Time for Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty Trip

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Decided to have yet another trip to Mysore and Ooty with Family (5 Members).
My plan is,
16-06-2013 --> Bangalore to Mysore
17-06-2013 --> Mysore to Ooty & Sight Seeing @ Ooty
18-06-2013 --> Sight Seeing @ Ooty & Coonoor
19-06-2013 --> Sight Seeing @ Ooty & Ooty to Bangalore

Please suggest which are best places i should cover during my stay in Ooty. As i am not moving much is Mysore so already planned for it. However, need suggestions on Ooty. Travel gurus please share your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Time for Bangalore-Mysore-Ooty

More than Ooty, I enjoyed the spots on Gudallur road while coming back. (did not go thru 36 hair pins). You will see many vehicles stopped while coming from Ooty. You will love those places. Trees, lakes (if you walk down), lots of scenic views. I must admit, i loved those scenic spots better than crowded Bottanical Garden [;)]. Could not visit Coonoor as there was a landslide and trains were cancelled. I wanted to experience that train journey.

Happy and Safe Journey. Have a wonderful time

Thread Starter #4
More than Ooty, I enjoyed the spots on Gudallur road while coming back. (did not go thru 36 hair pins). You will see many vehicles stopped while coming from Ooty. You will love those places. Trees, lakes (if you walk down), lots of scenic views. I must admit, i loved those scenic spots better than crowded Bottanical Garden [;)]. Could not visit Coonoor as there was a landslide and trains were cancelled. I wanted to experience that train journey.Happy and Safe Journey. Have a wonderful time
Thanks Appus, will convince my family members on this. As few of them are first time going to Ooty, so they want to stay in town only. Will update.

A drive to avalanche and emerald lake .. you will love it
Avalanche also I heard of it. Can you please provide the road map to this place, that will be a great help to plan.

Also dont go late in the evening, i would suggest you to drive back to ooty town by 7, as it becomes dark ... best time would be to go there by 3 or 4 pm and enjoy couple of hours and return back, also local people in ooty are very helpful..just ask directions if you are lost... But dont miss the location, its simple mind blowing,,,

do post some pics..once you are back.

thanks

Hi Sooz_punto

You can try on both the ways to Ooty. Bandipur to Mudumalai drive will be very good. Make sure you cross this stretch before dark as a safety measure, this stretch is closed for night traffic also. If you want you can have a stop over in Mudumalai. Early morning there is elephant safari into the forest. From Mudumalai take left to Masinagudi, and you can go to Ooty on this way which is very short, I think around 40 kms only. No heavy vehicular traffic on this route, the road is little steep with 36 hairpin bends, but good road, and you can go without any strain.

And from Mudumalai if you go straight, its Gudalur route. Probably you can try out while coming back as appus suggested.

You can't predict the weather in Ooty, it may rain also, but don't worry you can enjoy the trip. Important spots are - Botanical Garden, lake, ladies seat, wax museum, tea museum etc., more information you can get from the web.
TTDC offers a decent budget family accommodation at their youth hostel with ample parking, which comes on the left hand side as you enter Ooty town, and before the signal. Their website is - ttdconline

Have a nice and safe trip sujeet[cheers]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Hi Sooz_punto

You can try on both the ways to Ooty. ....
Have a nice and safe trip sujeet[cheers]
Thank you RAM sir for such valuable tips and info. Yes, I am going through 36 hair pin route while going up and while coming back may try Appus route [;)]. Rain is another factor i have to look for but as you mentioned i will try to cover places without thinking much on such factors.

Sooz, have a nice and safe trip. You can refer this thread for further details about Ooty - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...334-red-hotty-exploring-queen-hills-ooty.html
Sorry for pitching in late, missed this thread!
No need of sorry mate, already gone through your post. As a fellow Punter, I always enjoy your pics and posts. Thanks for the wishes.

Thread Starter #11
Also dont go late in the evening, i would suggest you to drive back to ooty town by 7, as it becomes dark ... best time would be to go there by 3 or 4 pm and enjoy couple of hours and return back, also local people in ooty are very helpful..just ask directions if you are lost... But dont miss the location, its simple mind blowing,,,
do post some pics..once you are back.
thanks
Sure cagebee, with family will not roam late in evening pouside of ooty town. Will take of localities if needed at any moment. Pics and report will be there for sure [;)]

Thank you RAM sir for such valuable tips and info. Yes, I am going through 36 hair pin route while going up and while coming back may try Appus route [;)]. Rain is another factor i have to look for but as you mentioned i will try to cover places without thinking much on such factors.

No need of sorry mate, already gone through your post. As a fellow Punter, I always enjoy your pics and posts. Thanks for the wishes.
If you are taking Masinagudi route, only the last 20 kms you will have this 36 hairpin bends, but easily manageable, you will enjoy the drive.

Have a nice and safe trip

Thread Starter #15
Hi TAIs,

Here are the specs to start with the Travel Log,
Start Date: 16-06-2013
End Date: 19-06-2013
Total Days: 04 Days
No of Trip Makers: 5 Adults
Total KM Covered: 695.6 KMs
Avg. FE: 17.2 KMPL with A/C, (22.0 without A/C and Best in this TRIP)
Destination: Mysore and Ooty

All the preparations were made in advance. Accommodations were booked in advance for Ooty, Tyre pressure checked, Tank filled, bags packed, Maps on place, led Torch, Vehicle Kit, Extra Tyre with proper Pressure, lots of dry foods and snacks with Cold clothes and we are ready for our trip.

Places Covered Day-wise,

1. Day-1: SrirangaPatna Temple, Mysore Palace
2. Day-2 : Ooty, Boat House, Rose Garden
3. Day-3 : Botanical Garden, Doddabetta Tea Factory, Pykera Lake
4. Day-4 : Coonoor Toy Train, Back to Bengaluru

Day-1
Planned to start from Bengaluru early morning so that we can have famous Thatte idli in Kamath restaurant on the way to Mysore. However, my mother in law did not feel good in the morning and hence we started only @ 10 AM after taking our breakfast on 16-06-2013. We had the plan to visit Srirangapatna temple on the way to mysore which is just 20 Kms away from Mysore. Srirangapatna temple is a famous temple for Anatasayana Bishnu avatar. I drove with moderate speed upto srirangapatna which took around 2:30 hrs and I got the best mileage of this trip 22 KMPL without A/C and 5 people on-boarded. If you have an Android phone with GPS system, you will reach directly to the temple.
The Temple
Ample amount of space is there to park your car in front of the temple. Parking charge is just 10 rupees. The temple closes @ 1 PM. We just reached on time @ 12:45 PM and were the last bunch of people to enter the temple. Temple is purely made up of stones and you can feel the rough stones as soon as you enter inside the temple. The statue of lord Bishnu was really eye catching and worth visiting the temple. Other god statues are also present inside the temple. Photography prohibited in front of the main statue but other places it's allowed. Took some snaps and sat after darshan on the entrance to take rest.

After a small gap we started towards Mysore which is only 20 Kms. Reached mysore KSRTC bus stand @ 2:00 PM and took near by a lodge for one night stay. The plan was to stay in Mysore for 1 day and next day morning to start for Ooty. In the evening we visited Mysore palace to see the palace lighting.
The Palace
We have visited many times mysore famous palace in the day time. It is a treat to watch the palace from inside. But what about the external part. If you want to experience the external beauty of the mysore palace, be there every sunday from 7 PM to 8 PM. We always wanted to witness the awesome lighting of the palace. The whole the palace is decorated with lights such a way that it is unbelievable sight. We reached there around 7:15 PM and spend time upto 8 PM taking some pics. There is also a lawn where you can sit and enjoy the scene. Some music was also played by the local police men. But exactly @ 8 PM they are shutting off the lights and music.

Now the first set of PICs.
IMG_8530.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8542.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg

Top Bottom