A Visit To The Great Living Chola Temple

Thread Starter #1
Guys,

Here I came with my Latest travelogue.

This trip has planned couple of the days before the trip. It was a round trip of 790Kms.

First I need to say this is a pilgrim trip. We planned to visit Trichy, Tanjore, Kumbakonam and my grandma house at Cuddalore.

Here is the trip details:
Car : Vista VX (you all know[;)])
No. of people: 4 adults with a 8months baby
Km's covered : 790Kms.
Mileage achieved : 20.5 Km-pl with full time A/C, speed between 100-110Kmph.
Route traveled : Vellore - Trichy - Tanjore - Kumbakonam - Cuddalore - Thiruvanamalai - Vellore.

We started from Vellore on Friday(10/05/13) morning 6:00am & filled the tank at nearby HP bunk. My first destination was Trichy. Due to morning time, the road was free, so I done above 100Kmph most of the times, once I entered into Chennai-Trichy NH, I've done above 120Kmph.

we reached Trichy Samayapuram temple at 11:00am and had a dharshan, then went to Srirangam. As I already covered Srirangam & Samayapuram in my last Sabarimali trip. I've not included any details here.

Story starts here:

Once we finished our Dharsan st Srirangam, we headed towards Tanjore around 3:30pm. we decided to have a Tea break after leaving the Trichy city limit. around 4:15pm we left the city limits, all the city traffic was over, an open fresh Highway welcomed me :)

I started searching for Tea shop, there I found a road side restaurant with beautiful parking area. I've never seen such kind of beautiful restaurant anywhere. Really loved the place. We spent some 1Hour there. I really enjoyed the evening breeze with hot gobi manjurian & Tea.

Neatly maintained parking:

a (2).jpg

a (14).jpg

a (3).jpg

a (4).jpg

If any one traveling on Trichy to Tanjore don't miss to spend some time here:

a (5).jpg

a (6).jpg

a (7).jpg

Re: An visit to The Great Living Chola Temple

Where is the rest of story, Appu? Awaiting for magnificent Tanjore temple pictures. The motel looks clean and neat.

@Appu

Nice start and eager to see some "chola" era things soon[clap]. I always had in mind to visit those places ruled by "chola's" after watching a movie of Raghavan in which Karthi, rima sen were the cast

Appu, Restaurant location looks good and specially the climate seems really well. Waiting for next part.

Nice start! Awaiting rest of TL and pics. I just love the Tanjore temple. Architecture beauty!

Where is the full story. Waiting to see more. By the way, the mileage return by your car with the parameter seems to pretty nice.

AppU,
waiting for detailed Travelogue and photos. You found a great restaurant though [:)] ! They put parking lines on road ? [surprise]

Appu, i am just hooked on to this thread.

This place is in my next to do list.[:)]

Brihadeshwara temple is the famous one over there.

So planning to do Valparai and this one as well.

Waiting for your detailed travelogue.

Last edited:

Nice travelogue to start with. Waiting for the rest of the story and pics. Please post some pictures of the road conditions.

Thread Starter #11

Continuation:

I forgot to mention one thing here, Visiting Tanjore big temple was one of my childhood wish. Whenever I hear or read about the Tanjore big temple, I thought to visit the Temple at my next trip. but, nothing was happend till that day.

On the Day, I was full excited to visit the temple.

After having the snacks, we headed towards Tanjore. Trichy to Tanjore is around 57 Kms. the road condition is Excellent. It is a four lane road,
we can proceed 120Kmph, without any disturbance.

Road condition between Trichy-Tanjore:

a (18).jpg

Once we entered into Tanjore, I felt like entering into Ancient days. the roads are very very clean, even the whole town is clean. While driving the car, I was thinking about the king and his period. Even all the roads, buildings are changed. I was thinking about the days of King on that area.

Tanjore Town:

a (19).jpg

a (20).jpg

a (21).jpg

Saw this ManiMandabam of Raja Raja cholan on the way to Temple:

a (23).jpg

a (24).jpg

My Mobile GPS shown the route to the temple. when I first saw the temple at some distance, I was over excited. but,my GPS started to play with me for the very First time, Yes it shown wrong route. it shown the road behind the temple. So I ignored it & asked some autowala to the main gate.

Nearing Temple:

a (22).jpg

a (25).jpg

a (26).jpg

a (27).jpg

a (28).jpg

Parking is just opposite to the Temple. they have charged Rs.20 for car.

I was expecting some fee for the entrance & camera, but to my surprise, Everything is free.

Before Entering into Temple, Here is the small intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVHYmTctIfg

Last edited:

Nice pictures[clap]. Overall road conditions in TN is much better than KA[frustration]. I have seen and experienced this.

Thread Starter #13

Where is the rest of story, Appu? Awaiting for magnificent Tanjore temple pictures. The motel looks clean and neat.
More pics on Big Templs is on the way

@Appu

Nice start and eager to see some "chola" era things soon. I always had in mind to visit those places ruled by "chola's" after watching a movie of Raghavan in which Karthi, rima sen were the cast
Visit it once in Life time.

I have never done this stretch. Please include the road conditions and stay options...
Even for me also, this was the first time on this stretch.
road conditions are really excellent through out the stretch.

Appu, Restaurant location looks good and specially the climate seems really well. Waiting for next part.
Yes Buddy, Nice place to spend the evening time with loved ones[;)]

Nice start! Awaiting rest of TL and pics. I just love the Tanjore temple. Architecture beauty!
Where is the full story. Waiting to see more. By the way, the mileage return by your car with the parameter seems to pretty nice.
More pics are about to come.

AppU,
waiting for detailed Travelogue and photos. You found a great restaurant though ! They put parking lines on road ?
appus, the lines are not on the Highway road.

It is a well laid parking with beautifully marked lines.

Appu, i am just hooked on to this thread.

This place is in my next to do list.

Brihadeshwara temple is the famous one over there.

So planning to do Valparai and this one as well.

Waiting for your detailed travelogue.
Advance congrats for the trip, It is really a wonderful place to visit,

Nice pictures. Overall road conditions in TN is much better than KA. I have seen and experienced this.
Thank you Buddy, Even some worst roads also there in TN, I've experienced [;)]

Thank you Buddy, Even some worst roads also there in TN, I've experienced [;)]
Sir, come to Bangalore, I can show you worser that those worst roads a Metro City can have[frustration]. Dont know where all these road taxes go, and KA charges highest in India.

Thread Starter #15
Cont..
Once I parked my Vista, We all ready to enter into the temple. at the entrance I spotted some Muslim ladies. It shows, Architecture has no religion.

First Gopuram:

a (29).jpg

The Entrance is smaller then normal temple, There are two Gopurams, once I crossed the first Gopuram, I spotted an Elephant blessing the people.I've no mood to enjoy these normal things, so we proceeded towards secound Gopuram.

Secound Gopuram:

a (32).jpg

a (33).jpg

a (34).jpg

a (37).jpg

a (38).jpg

once I passed second Goupram. I wondered, how much space infront of temple.It was a magnificent sight. The time we entered was around 6:30pm, Day light & Electrical lights made the temple more & more beautiful.

No words to Describe its beauty..

a (36).jpg
a (39).jpg

Next I headed towards Nandhi, It was gigantic. I don't want to bore you guys, here are the pics because I'm speech less [:)]

Gigantic Nandhi

a (40).jpg

a (41).jpg

a (43).jpg

a (46).jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom