In Search of White Gold: Delhi - Narkanda - Agra - Delhi

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first travelogue on TAI and it is about my recent trip of Delhi-Narkanda-Agra-Delhi.

Stats of the Trip:
Date: 15/03/13 (evening) to 18/03/13 (evening)
Distance: 866 + 500 = 1366 Kms
Fuel Average:
A.) Delhi Narkanda Delhi: 866 Kms (13.5 Kmpl)
B.) Delhi Agra Delhi: 498 Kms (15.5 Kmpl)
Places Covered: Narkanda, Tanni Jubbar lake and Agra
Travelers: 5 Persons (Myself, One Childhood friend and three college time friends)
Highlights of trip: a.) 14 halts because of vomiting, b.) Loads of snow and driving on snow, c.) An Emergency call from friends home, d.) Drive at 165 KMPH and e.) Impromptu Agra visit
Leaving you with some teasers before the main log roll, enjoy

Thread Starter #2
Re: In Search of White Gold: Delhi-Narkanda-Agra-Delhi

Hi,

Here are the Pictures

Mods: I am unable to add pictures to this thread, kindly help
thanks

Attachments

Hey tornado78, nice teaser. I have been to Narkanda during new year with my friends. This is a great & silent place to hangout with friends. Did you went to Hatu peak?

Awaiting eagerly for the great travelog. But teaser pic are nice. After seeing the photo (the snow one), I went back noticed which place you visited.

Thread Starter #6
@Mukesh:
No we did not go to the Hatu Peak as the road was full of 3-4 feet of snow, yes indeed its a wonderful place to chill out, but we had to leave the place much before than planned due to some emergency at one of friends place.

@Amit: Thanks, the log will start rolling from tomorrow onwards.

@ Visran: Yes, these are good FE figures, But this time it was five people with their respective luggage on board on Delhi Narkanda Delhi route and Four People with their Luggage coupled with some high speed driving in region of 150+ lead to less (15.5kmpl) figure.

hey nice pictures tornado78. 3rd picture from top is good, seems you people enjoyed alot. and next time if you come to Narkanda do visit Hatu Peak, it is good place to visit. Waiting for more pics. [:D]

[clap] Awesome teaser Buddy,No words to describe the third pic[clap]. I can see the joy in all faces including ARIA[clap]

Can't wait for full travelogue.

nice. Yours is a 2 wheel drive car isnt it? Or am I wrong. I'll go through your ownership report again.

Long trips to the hills, is always fun in a TATA.

EDIT:
ooopppssss, Sorry. Yours is a 4X4. My BAD.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
hey nice pictures tornado78. 3rd picture from top is good, seems you people enjoyed alot. and next time if you come to Narkanda do visit Hatu Peak, it is good place to visit. Waiting for more pics. [:D]
I have being to Narkanda 4 times (May 2000, Oct. 2010, May 2012 & March2013) and being to Hatu Peak twice in 2000 and 2012. Its an awesome place and especially the drive, its scary and very steep. but the panoramic view it offers is superb.

This time iam writing my Log in MS Word so that I wont break the flow and will update chapters accordingly. for a time being enjoy more pics in the next post.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Hi All,

So finally I have started writing my first ever T-Log on TAI, this log is about dream, friendship and our love for cars and travel.

Chapter 1 - Prelude:

It was the winters of January 2011, when we 5 Friends went for a short trip of 3 days to Dhanaulti and Haridwar where I first time had an experience of driving on snow laden roads for a very short patch and I along with others liked it so much that I decided to drive a 4x4 vehicle on such kind of roads and be there in such conditions for atleast a week time. Time passes away and I graduated from an Indigo Ls (2005 model) to An Aria 4x4 Pleasure 2012 model. I purposefully purchased 4x4 Aria for such conditions where I can fulfill my thirst for driving on such kind of conditions where you will encounter slush, mud, sand and snow.
I purchased my Aria in Feb 2012 but was unable to go to such places due to extreme work pressure and lack of long leaves (though I spend 35 days in Europe as a backpacker) I was unable to explore hills. Although, in last one year I have been to Pushkar Ajmer twice and Dalhousie once in my Dragon (Aria). So once the initial fear of driving such a big vehicle was tamed I planned for a long 5.5 days getaway for Spiti Valley in the month of March to see and feel presence of White Gold and also increase my experience of driving in hills before my Leh Trip 2013 (I still in planning phase).

Initially, the plan was to drive down from Delhi to Kaza - Pooh with three of my college time friends and enjoy our journey and destination both, but than another childhood friend of mine chipped in and asked us to cut short our trip to 3.5 days so that he can also join us and than we have to cut down on number of places to visit and finally come down to Delhi to Narkanda trip only.

At last we were 5 people all together were going for the trip to Narkanda only for 3.5 days. we were unaware that whether we will get some snow or not there in Narkanda. That means it was just a trip where we 5 were suppose to enjoy in the company of Hills and some old memories.

The trip was undertaken from 15 March eve. to 18th March eve.

Planned Itinerary:
15/03/13: Leave Delhi by 5PM and reach Panchkula and stay in Guest House
16/03/13: Leave Panchkula as early as possible and reach Narkanda and enjoy weather and ambience of the place. Stay would be at Thanedaar PWD guest House
17/03/13: Visit Hatu Peak and Tanni Jubbar Lake and if we want to see Shimla than evening would be spent in Shimla
18/03/13: Leave Shimla Early to Delhi and than rest on Monday evening before joing back our offices on Tuesday.

Actual Itinerary:

15/3/13: Left Delhi at 5PM and reached PAnchkula at 8.50 PM,
16/3/13: Left Panchkula at 6.40 Am and reached Narkanda at 12.40.
17/3/13: Left Narkanda at 7.20 Am and reached Delhi at 3.40 Pm. Left Delhi at 3.45 and reach Agra at 7.15 Pm.
18/3/13: Left Agra at 12.45 PM and reach Delhi at 3.45

The Story Continue with many questions,
how we spend 6 hours for a 4 hours journey from Panchkula to Narkanda
Why we left early from Narkanda
How we have seen Snow
DId we manage to go Hatu Peak
Shimla?????
Agraa, How come Agra in place of Shimla
An Emergency Call
Drive at 170 KMPH

Thread Starter #12
Hi All,

First Of all thanks a lot for your appreciations and interest in this log. Kindly let me know how to multi quote comments please.

Now back to T-Log

Chapter 2: Trip Preparations and welcoming new member in Our Group

So, now this trip was on cards from last one month or so and twice the dates gets changed due to work and inclusion of 2 different friends at different time therefore by keeping the up coming trip in mind and with the 4th Service of my Car was schedule at 30K I have gone to service center for its 4th 30000 kms service before the trip to get back in shape.

We all decided to start on 15 evening and stop at Panchkula in Govt Guest House, so that we can save a lot of time on next day from Panchkula to Narkanda. SO a phone call to friend in Panchkula who is supposed to book guest house for us and he said Ok job will be done and a day prior to our journey he said room is booked for us and we can stay there. Bookings for Narkanda and Thanedhaar PWD guest house were delegated to another friend of mine who stays in Delhi but has keen interest in Narkanda and he has been there almost 10 times and in a good relation with caretakers of these guest houses. On the date of journey he confirmed that there is no rooms available in Thanedaar as some govt programme is going on but we can try in PWD Narkanda.

Service was done on 27th Feb (well in advance) and the car was also checked properly prior to leaving and no other specific preparation was done for the trip due to the nature of trip as we were just going to Narkanda (or we were wrong). I was the only one who was almost fully prepared with One Full Jacket, One half Jacket and one full sleeves sweater, One warm cap and one normal cap and One Naga Shawl. Apart from me others were just carrying only one thin jacket.

New Member: As initially we were four people but somehow another college time friend of ours met us a week before the trip and shows us his inclination to be a part of it and we talked to each other and said yes to his presence. Now a bit of intro about all the members this trip

1.) Myself: An environment planner by training but now into Indias biggest real estate firm
2.) Riz: An Asst. Professor in Delhi University, the most valla as per us but the most busy as per him
3.) Vakil: He is a lawyer by profession
4.) Mr Whirlpool: He is into service wing of whirlpool, the most busy but always has time.
5.) Mr Teacher: His last outing was in year 2000 when they went to Goa from COllege trip.

Me and Whirlpool are childhood friend and we were in same class since 2nd standard till 12th. RIz Vakil and Teacher were a year junior to me in College and since year 2000 we know each other.

The time was decided for Friday 4PM from GT Karnal Byepass, we all were supposed to meet one of my friends place near GT Karnal Byepass and leave ASAP. But things gets mixed up and I reached there first at around 4.15PM, others were supposed to reach before 4 but they mange to reach there by 4.50PM and soon after we were on roads and we checked the time and zero the trip meters at GT KArnal bye pass to Zero at 5PM.

Chapter 3: Day 1 (15/03/2013) New Delhi to Panchkula We all left Delhi at around 5 Pm and todays target was mere Panchkula which is just 250 Kms from Delhi. The Delhi Chandigarh highway is in a very good condition and we have covered a good distance in no time and soon we realize to take a break (loo+ tea) at just after karnal. So we dropped our anchors at Zhilmil Dhaba Karnal to have evening tea with some pakoras and get fresh up. We spent almost 30 minutes there and when we again started our journey the colour of sky changed from grey to black and we turned on 6 lights (2 fog+2Low+2HIGh beams) of my car to get crystal clear vision ahead. I drive with high beams only on those roads which are divided by a median. Mixed music was on and we enjoying Zindagi na milege doobara, Enrique, Britney with funny and not so funny incedences of our college days and some childhood memories and enjoying our memorable moments from our previous trips. In no time we were at Ambala Canntt Flyover and after that we missed a cut and kept on driving on Amritsar road, soon we realize our mistake and taken a U turn to come back on the right track to Panchkula. At around 8.45 or so we were at our Guest house after filling the Dragon with her Diesel Diet in Panchkula.

We ordered food from outside spent a lot of time prior to food and at around 12 we retired for the day as we have to get up early 5 am for the nest day Journey, which is just 4 hours as we have planned or is it just 4 hours?????

Sorry no pictures for the day as we were just busy in our selves and I was busy in driving.
Weapons for Shooting:
One Canon 550D with 18-55 and 55-250
One Sony DSC H7
Samsung Galaxy S2

Top Bottom