A Trip With Porsche From Germany To Greece (Video)

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

the video shows me travelling with my classic Porsche 944 S2 to Greece. The trip starts in southern Germany, crossing then Austria and Italy. From Italy we went with a ferry to Greece. All in all, including a lot of trips inside Greece, we made some 5000 km. Greece has a lot of fantastic mountain roads:

Porsche 944 S2 traveling to Greece - YouTube

The trip, our annual holidays, started in the evening in my hometown Rastatt. After 1 hour we passed Stuttgart, I think every car enthusiast knows this town as home of Mercedes Benz and Porsche. After Stuttgart we went over the small mountains of "Schwäbische Alb". Only 1000 m above sea level but separating the water of the rives Rhine and Danube. After the mountains we entered in the federation state of Bavaria. Here we found an empty highway and the Porsche was running with 250 km/h (over 150 Miles/hour). Thus we made the 160 km to the Austrian border in 45 min. In Austria we changed on the national road, because the highways has a speed limit of 120 km/h (75 Miles/hour). Anyhow passing the Alp mountains on mountains roads in a Porsche is much better. We had to pass the Fernpass and the Brennerpass to come to Italy. In Italy, we slowly left the Alps and came to the great plane of the river Po, more or less boring part of the trip. Starting from Ravenna we followed the coast line of the Adriatic Sea until the port of Ancona. Here the first day ended after some 1000 km.

The second day we spent on the ferry from Ancona to Patras in Greece, which takes about 22 hours. Patras is already at the peninsula of Peloponnes but reaching our goal at the south end of Greece it took another 4 hours for 250 km on more or less small roads. Staying some 50 km south of Kalamata, a city known for its fine olives, we made a lot of excursions to the surrounding.

The following videos are made on trips in the neighborhood of Kalamata. The first one shows a car ride from Sparta to Kalamata through the Langada canyon. Italian Engineers built the famous road over the high mountains of the Taygetos during the second world war. Most guides report this road as one of the most beautiful in Greece. The road is in good condition and a marvelous track for a Porsche. The start and end point are practically on sea level but the highest point of the track is about 1400 m above sea level.

Porsche 944 racing through Langada Canyon at Sparta - YouTube

This video shows the Porsche only at the beginning. More it is a hike to the famous monasteries of the Lousios gorge. The way is small and an endless up and down along the gorge. The fauna found along the path is very unique. The monasteries have a long tradition, starting with hermits settling there already 1000 years ago. For the complete gorge you would need a full day:

The monasteries of the Lousios gorge - YouTube

The last video shows a small road just near our residence. It gives you a very good impression of the landscape in one of the most south places in Europe:

Î*λατσα - ΚαταφÏγιο Let`s travel by car from Platsa to Katafigio - YouTube
All in all we have been 4 weeks on the way. After some 5000 km we came well back to Germany, the consumption of the Porsche have been in average 11 liters on 100 km and about 1 liter of oil for all the distance.

Best regards,

Jürgen

You seem to have a very interesting collection man.
Porsche 944, Audi 100, Golf Mk1, VW Passat 35i, Peugeot 206
Audi 100 is the car which made Audi what it is today.
Golf killed the british. And you have the first one.
Can you post some pics of them?

Thread Starter #5
You seem to have a very interesting collection man.
Porsche 944, Audi 100, Golf Mk1, VW Passat 35i, Peugeot 206
Audi 100 is the car which made Audi what it is today.
Golf killed the british. And you have the first one.
Can you post some pics of them?
Hi,

my Audi 100 is from 92. I had the famous model from 82 with the 5 cyl. engine before. It was a fantastic car and I was very stupid when I sold it, but I learned the lesson, it has been the last car I sold.

I'll post in the next time some videos about the Golf. There I can add some pictures. As far I see, there is now "gallery" for my cars in this forum.

Regards,

Jürgen

@Dr,

Those videos are excellent exploring the village side of Europe. I recollect my road trips to Paris,Holand,Koln during 2009 from Dusseldorf !!

That back ground score for the first video is really good, is it possible to send me an mp3 of that[:)]

Top Bottom