Drive with ME: Udaipur

Thread Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here. Any comments/feedback would be much appreciated.

I will share with you my trip to the Udaipur beach near Digha, West Bengal.

Well to start with, it was not founded by the famed Rana of Rajasthan, err… may be, dunno about its origin, but location…nearer to Kolkata than you thought… Digha.

I will share my driving experience to the beach destination and tit bits which you may find helpful for your planned or unplanned journey

We (me, my wife and our WagonR) left the city on a Saturday morning at 7.30. Crossed the Vidyasager Setu – paid a toll of Rs. 10 and whoopee we zoomed through the Kona expressway. Soon we reached Ankurhati and and carried on NH6. A breezy drive on the expressway till we took a break at the famed Sher-e Punjab at Kolkaghat for our breakfast. Stuffed Parathas with curry and pickles just turned the mood better and we resumed our journey after an odd break of 35 minutes. Just after crossing Kolaghat we took the left turn towards Nandakumar. Once Nandakumar arrived, we took the right bend from the loop and moved onward to Contai. As we left the National Highway, speed started falling down as the road became narrow and busy, but still well commutable. En route passed Nachinda temple, Chawlkhola more (the bend you need to take for Mandarmoni), Balisai, till we reached Old Digha. A few minutes of driving further brought us to the boundary of Digha vis-a-vis West Bengal and we took the left turn to reach the WBTDC camp site at Udaipur. The West Bengal Tourism department has set up a large lodging facility with non permanent structures – tents. The tents looked good with attached toilets. The room was basic but clean and so was the toilet. Mind you folks they do not have canteen/proper fooding facility yet, but supplies you with

home cooked food (chicken-roti) at night if you request the manager there. The beach was a five minutes walk from the tents. The path leading to the beach was horrendous as vehicles, bikes, humans, dogs and even cows were trudging through the same ankle deep sand laden path. I was shocked to see the beach at first as i thought that some sort of mela was going on at the end of the path connecting the beach. Clumsily placed stalls selling tea to coconut water, hordes of bikes and cars being parked as well as roaming around marred the very impression of the serenity that I was expecting away from the bustle of the Digha beach. However a few minutes stroll along the beach away from the maddening crowd soon brought us some respite as the cacophony thinned out.

We walked for a couple of kilometers till we reached the new Digha beach. Spent some time there and came back to our camp as daylight faded away.

Dinner was served at around 10 pm and and we explored the camp area thereafter, till we decided to call it a day.

Checked out of the hotel next day and started our journey back to Kolkata along the same way.

You can visit my link for photos of the beach.
rajeshsblog | get onboard & share the journey…

Top Bottom