My Trip To Valparai and Wayanad

Thread Starter #1
My trip from Bangalore to Valparai and Wayanad

It was on 8th November, 2012, Me and my wife started from Bangalore at 10 am and from Coimbatore around 3.00 pm to Valparai a distance of 100 kms. We passed Pollachi around 3.45 pm and further proceeded, took a right turm to Valparai and 60 kms more to go. Though it’s a single road the condition is very good. On the foot hills, Azhiyar dam and a small park is situated, but nothing great about it. From this point there are 40 hair pin bends, and surprisingly the road is very broad. On the way we came across a leopard crossing the road, but by the time we took the camera out it ran off. As we reached the top hills its really an awesome view, the entire place is covered with tea plantations and was looking like a green carpet. Every few minutes we were forced by the nature to stop the vehicle to take pictures. Around 5.30 pm we reached Valparai town. We didn’t have a prior booking for hotel accommodation, however we got it easily because the place was not crowded being on a weekday. You don’t have much accommodation choices at Valparai too. After keeping our baggage in the room we went out to explore the place. Every where it’s the enchanting view of tea plantations. After dinner at 9 pm we came back to the hotel and retired for the day.

Day two : After breakfast at 8 am we checked out, started our journey to Kalpetta, the district head quarters of Wayanad, for the first 30 minutes of the drive was little difficult due to heavy mist and poor visibility, but it was really great. Valparai is about 3500 feet above sea level and the weather in the night was around 13 deg C. The distance to Kalpetta is 275 kms and we want to take the shortest route ; Valparai – Pollachi – Palakkad – Mannarcadu – Manjeri – Areekode – Mukkam – Thamarassery – Kalpetta.

We reached Pollachi around 9.30 am, from Pollachi bustand took a left turn to Palakkad, from this point till we crossed the Tamilnadu border the road was in bad shape, and distance to Palakkad is 40 kms, this road joins Coimbatore – Palakkad NH, continued on this road, after 500 meters continued straight (Left is to Cochin and Kanyakumari) Again after 500 meters turned right to Palakkad bye pass, and the road going to Calicut. After two kms I filled up my Octavia tank at a company owned Indian oil petrol bunk on the right hand side. We continued the journey, at Manjeri we had the lunch – fish curry meals, really great. All along from Palakkad the road condition is very bad. From Manjeri took a right turn and passed Areekode, Mukkam and at Thamarassery the road joined Calicut –Mysore NH and I took a right turn to Kalpetta. From here the road is much better till we reached Kalpetta at 5 pm. We were late because of bad road condition. We had a hotel booking done through cleartrip at Peter’s Hill View Residency, opposite to the fire station. A decent budget hotel with car parking. As this hotel doesn’t have a restaurant, for the dinner we went to Kalpetta town, a km away, came back and retired for the day.

Day Three : We started at 8.30 am, had breakfast at woodlands restaurant, went to KURUVA ISLAND, 36 kms from Kalpetta, a small island, have to cross the river on a bamboo ferry, spent about two hours, those who admire the nature – it’s a wonderful spot. Came back on the same ferry, had a nice Kerala traditional lunch at a food joint near the river. We started from there at 2.15 pm and went to BANASURA SAGAR DAM, which is 38 kms away. From the parking area we had to walk a km to reach the dam. This is the largest Earth Dam in India and second in Asia. Speed boating was there, but we couldn’t make because of crowd. We spend some time at the Nature Park there, came back to the parking area, had small shopping there. By the time it was 5.30 pm. We reached Kalpetta at 6.15 pm, 22 kms drive, went around the town had dinner and came back to the hotel.

Day Four : We packed up our luggage, checked out from the hotel at 9 am, had breakfast at Kalpetta, we went to POOKOT LAKE, had boating there, and at 11 am we started our drive to Bangalore a distance of 285 kms (via Sultanbathery – Gundlupet – Mysore – Bangalore), the road up to Sulthabathery was a hell, after wards its not bad till Gundlupet, we had the lunch here, started at 3 pm, reached Bangalore at 7 pm. The total distance covered was 1200 kms. We enjoyed the whole trip.

SOME MORE PHOTOS TO FOLLOW -

Attachments

Ram,

Good piece of pics you have up there. It was a treat to watch them.
Had been to Waynad last month and with your amazing sense of photography relived those moments. Thanks!!!! [clap]

Which camera did you carry??

Thread Starter #4
The pictures taken from Wayanad

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Pictures taken from Wayanad

Attachments

Top Bottom