My Recent Trip To Kodaikanal

Thread Starter #1
It was on 9th December 2012, I was in my native Palakkad and my wife joined me at Coimbatore Railway Station at 2 pm. After our lunch at KR restaurant, opposite to the station, we started the drive around 3.30 pm to Kodaikanal via Pollachi – Udumalpet – Palani. The distance we have to cover is about 170 kms only. I filled up my Octavia tank at Coimbatore itself, and would be sufficient to reach back Bangalore . By the time we left Coimbatore city limits it was almost 4.15 pm as there was heavy traffic in spite of being Sunday. We reached Pollachi around 5 pm covering 38 kms. As we crossed Pollachi the panoramic view was very good with hundreds of windmills visible from the road. It’s really an awesome view. Though it’s a single road, the condition is very good. We covered next 70 kms to Palani and crossed around 6 pm. We took the bye pass road and took a right turn to Kodai. From this point the road condition is not all that good. After a few kms the ghat road starts, and the road is very narrow and in bad shape. However, the traffic was very less. This road joins Kodai – Madurai road and we took a right turn. We have to cover another 15 kms. The road is extremely in a bad shape and you cannot shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. I think I never seen the roads in Kodai are in such a bad shape during my past several visits. We had our Hotel booking done through cleartrip. We checked in around 8 pm at Hotel Spring Valley, a budget hotel. We had our dinner at the restaurant and retired for the day.

And day two, after breakfast we started around 10 am. The weather in the night was around 12 deg C. The day was very pleasant. First we went to the Pine forest where lot of film shooting take place . It was little crowded but not much. Further we proceeded to view point, Devils Kitchen also called Guna cave because the Tamil movie ‘GUNA’ was shot here, Pillar Rock, The Golf course, Green Valley View. We had our lunch at Hotel Astoria and proceeded to the lake. Around 6 pm we went back to the Hotel.

Day three - kurinji Andavar Temple, Chettiar park, Coakers walk. After lunch we went to the lake side had little bit shopping and came back to the hotel.

Next day around 9 am after the breakfast we checked out and started our journey back to Bangalore. We reached Bangalore around 5 pm, Overall it was a nice journey. I have lot of pics but not able to attach, if someone can help, I can do it.

Thanks

Thread Starter #3
Pics of my Kodai trip

Pictures of recent trip to Kodaikanal

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
Pics of my Kodai trip

Pictures of my Kodai trip Day 3

Attachments

Excellent Pics,

I was been to Kodai for a sight work in BSNL. But, Except the lake, I've not visited any place[frustration]

your Pics tempting me to visit the place soon & will do the same.

BTW, your Octy pics are missing [roll]

@AR Ram

Excellent pictures buddy. I am too planning to do a Kodai in February. I will probably take theni- kodai route since i would be starting from Munnar. Does the hotel you stayed have car parking[secured] within its vicinity?

BTW Where are you in palakkad?

Thread Starter #8
Thanks!

They do have basement car parking and its secured; though they say "at owner's risk". Book through cleartrip and avail discount, and Feb is off season. What's your planned route? From Palakkad the shortest route is Pollachi - Palani - Kodai. I am from Valiyapadam. and you?

Thread Starter #9
Excellent Pics,

I was been to Kodai for a sight work in BSNL. But, Except the lake, I've not visited any place[frustration]

your Pics tempting me to visit the place soon & will do the same.

BTW, your Octy pics are missing [roll]
Thanks AppU

@AR Ram
Munnar is where my wife house and i need to have a few people picked from there.So the route will be Rakakkad-theni- somewhere on the dindigal road take left to kodai. I am used to that route as i have travelled a couple of time via theni to velankanni.

On the way back I might take pollachi route to Palakkad.
I am from Keralassery

Thread Starter #13
Any idea about the condition of the road from Palani to Kodaikanal right now. Please update regarding this.
Details here in my Travelogue during July 2016. Overall nice road.

Ram Sir, how i missed this? Anyways, we too visited those places.
This travelogue was posted sometimes in 2012. I think Mathew's post would give more updates. Thank you both...

Top Bottom