Hesaraghatta Grasslands

Thread Starter #1
I had been to Hesaraghatta grasslands yesterday. Three words to say about this place "Amazing, Superb, Wow". If you are a nature lover you will surely like this place.

For those who have not heard about Hesaraghatta grasslands, here it is..

Hesaraghatta is the last remaining grassland in and around Bangalore and requires immediate protection. These grasslands are unique & threatened ecosystem supporting very specialized flora and fauna including birds of prey that migrate from Europe and Central Asia in winter as well as the recently rediscovered Schedule 1 Lesser Florican (Sypheotides indicus) – one of India’s most threatened birds.

We planned to start at 5:30AM and reach there by 6:30AM to see the sunrise. Alarm's set for 5 AM. There was no mistake in the alarm. It buzzed sharp at 5AM, how can we wake up so early on a chilled Sunday morning. So alarm snoozed for 30 minutes, and one more snooze for another 30 minutes. Finally we woke up at 6 AM and started the journey at 7AM.

All checkpoints done.
Camera - checkmate
GPS - checkmate
Snacks - checkmate
Soft drinks - checkmate

We started driving the ring road towards Hebbal. Even in the early morning there was heavy traffic in the Hebbal ring road. What are all these people doing on the roads on a Sunday morning.

Excellent roads all the way until Hesaraghatta. Some of the snaps taken on the way
IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Beautiful grasslands and my silver baby

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

Panorama shot of the grasslands
IMG_1523.JPG

One thing I felt bad about was: There were few guys in two cars, couple of bikes (all are different groups) who were having drinks & having fun in the jungle adjacent to the grasslands. Oops, we are in India and what can we say about these so called educated people. Felt bad and had to avoid them.

It was around 9 AM and it's time for breakfast. Taj Kuteeram is about 5 mins drive from this grasslands. We went there for breakfast.

Taj here is a very small one with only about 9 cottages. After the breakfast we went around the the Taj. The reception people were kind enough to offer us "Pot making" activity. It was complete fun. We asked if we could take the pots with us and he happily agreed. But it had to be dried for 30 minutes atleast. Oh! what do we do?

He suggested to visit the Nrityagram, the famous gurukul dance school. We went to the dance school. The entry fee was a bit high though Rs 50 for each person. It's a small place but very neatly maintained. Tried to check my photography skills.

IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG

A very old VW beetle (?) parked in the dance school

IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG

We collected our pots and headed to Hesaraghatta Lake. It's a huge man made water reservoir back in 1894, but very sad to see that there is absolutely no water. Very sad that no measures taken to maintain this water reservoir. It should be a boon to the water problem. Funny though there was a sign board which read "Swimming and washing prohibited here" [clap].
IMG_1554.JPG

As it was only about 1 PM, we decided to visit Byalkere Peacock reserve also. After reaching there I felt, OMG why do we call this "Peacock reserve" [evil] Very close to the road and there are few new houses constructed, under construction adjacent to the peacock reserve. No sign boards, we could not find any entry gate also. We drove around the reserve to see if there is any entry or anything of that sort.

Luckily one passerby came and we stopped him to ask. He told that these days there are no peacocks here. He pointed to the entry gate, but we could not find it. If anyone is planning to visit this peacock reserve you can forget about visiting here.

We headed back to our home. The weekend ended and now back in office [:D]

It really gets better in the rainy season, i used to visit this place for fishes when i was in school and college. Awesome place for a drive seriously !

PS - People are avoiding going to hessaragatta due to chicken flu these days !

Top Bottom