Headlight Upgrade on GS 150R?

Thread Starter #1
My 2010 Suzuki Gs 150 R's Stock Headlight has a very poor light throw.This monsoon increase my troubles and i can't see the road/potholes clearly. To add this, light decrease while we reducing throttle.Sometimes in city, i confuse that whether the bulb fused and i have to change the points or show hand in front of the light to confirm it is working. HL position is correct and the bike has all stock settings including bulb and reflector still looks like new one. the wiring and coil also good and when we use HL in narrow village roads without any other light, then it ok.

is there any good bulbs available like Osaram knight breaker plus or Philips night vision for cars? Are they available in 35 watts?
is that 55/60w could increase light throw? If then can i use H4 bulbs came for cars?
i had 4 numbers of H4 bulbs available in my car.whether my battery and coil with stand it? i had upgraded the battery on the day one itself with the help of Showroom guys and replaced it with Amaron 9Ah battery. it still working perfect.
I know using 55w or above in motor cycle headlight are illegal as per law. But i don't mind if i get good light throw using them and not interested to do any changes in charging coil.

Last edited:
as you say that the headlight brightness differs with change in acceleration,the headlight must be AC powered by the lighting coil directly.That battery doesn't play a role here.

As per my experience just changing the bulb to 55W doesn't improve the brightness as the coil could not provide the required power to completely power the bulb.it looked too yellowish in my try for the splendor.if your bike has a better lighting coil it may work.you can try it though.

yeah the H4 bulbs will work

My 2010 Suzuki Gs 150 R's Stock Headlight has a very poor light throw.This monsoon increase my troubles and i can't see the road/potholes clearly. To add this, light decrease while we reducing throttle.Sometimes in city, i confuse that whether the bulb fused and i have to change the points or show hand in front of the light to confirm it is working. HL position is correct and the bike has all stock settings including bulb and reflector still looks like new one. the wiring and coil also good and when we use HL in narrow village roads without any other light, then it ok.

is there any good bulbs available like Osaram knight breaker plus or Philips night vision for cars? Are they available in 35 watts?
is that 55/60w could increase light throw? If then can i use H4 bulbs came for cars?
i had 4 numbers of H4 bulbs available in my car.whether my battery and coil with stand it? i had upgraded the battery on the day one itself with the help of Showroom guys and replaced it with Amaron 9Ah battery. it still working perfect.
I know using 55w or above in motor cycle headlight are illegal as per law. But i don't mind if i get good light throw using them and not interested to do any changes in charging coil.

am replying as am also using the same GS 150 R bike

please note the poor headlight throw of 2010 model GS150 R bike is due to its head light unit design and their is nothing wrong with the power output or brightness of the bulb, even if you change the bulb to better power ratio or brightness or white color emiting bulb the outcome would be just 10 % better
at the max

so better you change the headlight reflector to the indian standard round reflector or remove the default one and costume fit a separate headlight

Thread Starter #5
as you say that the headlight brightness differs with change in acceleration,the headlight must be AC powered by the lighting coil directly.That battery doesn't play a role here.

As per my experience just changing the bulb to 55W doesn't improve the brightness as the coil could not provide the required power to completely power the bulb.it looked too yellowish in my try for the splendor.if your bike has a better lighting coil it may work.you can try it though.

yeah the H4 bulbs will work
Thanks harikishen, yes you are correct. the headlight powered from the coil directly. if it was connected from battery like in the unicorn, it may be given a consistent output. though different forums suggesting the wiring upgrade, bad experiance from the past bike stopping me from this.

Yes in usual 100/125cc bikes, coil doesn't have the power to light up the 55w bulbs, but i expect my bike will be little better, since it is 150cc and it is Suzuki and they usually known for their better lights (GS 150R & zeus are exception).

Thanks Vinayan,
Is this Philips prime bulbs are available in our area?I mean Cochin Specifically?
Do you have any experience with these? Which one is better in these 3 models? As per the site these bulbs give only 30% increase in light. Due to the bad design of the reflector, i suspect that there will not be much noticeable difference. As per the description in Philips night vision & Osaram Night breaker plus coming for the cars have 100% increase in light throw.

What about Philips prime 25W bulb? earlier i had replaced my brother's crux headlight bulb and My Dio's bulb to 25W halogen which locally available(these bulbs does not have that black mark in front of them). Though it really increased the light and reduced the light differ in different acceleration, Light intensity is less and the points doesn't have difference. also holder got melt in the continuous usage and light failed though bulbs were not fused.
am replying as am also using the same GS 150 R bike

please note the poor headlight throw of 2010 model GS150 R bike is due to its head light unit design and their is nothing wrong with the power output or brightness of the bulb, even if you change the bulb to better power ratio or brightness or white color emiting bulb the outcome would be just 10 % better
at the max

so better you change the headlight reflector to the indian standard round reflector or remove the default one and costume fit a separate headlight
we all know MSN it is the problem with that reflector, but still Suzuki doesn't know this or they are not interested to change this. This is the main problem with the GS150R and the Zeus also.We own their new product Hayte also, but i feel it has better reflector and light too.
I am not going for the white/ blue colour bulbs, since it will only decrease the visibility.
My plans are
1. Currently i had 4 numbers of 55w ordinary halogen bulbs available as spare in my car and Osaram Night breaker plus in my car headlight too. I shall try these 2 type bulbs next week. if they are not better,
2. I will check for Philips prime 25W/35W. If it feels really worth i will go for it. If not
3. i will check the possibility of fixing old pulsar type round headlights. i am still a fan the light throw of old pulsar and the only thing i hate in My Gs 150 R is its HL and visor. But i suspect the possibility of fixing round lamp and also worried about the looks. i am not sure about how the meter console is fixed. Do you know any body done this in Gs 150 R? If possible somebody share a photo of the same.

Last edited:
You just need to change the reflector to round one

That will do

Someone in **** did that i believe and the outcome they got was effective
The latest version of gs 150 r seems to have addressed the issue

Thread Starter #7
No sir. As per my knowledge, they only changed the HL visor not reflector. So though it looking better lights not increased. Could you please ping me link to the site/forum you mentioned.

By the way, did you done anything for this? Mine is still stock one. Not a single scratch and not opened till now.

Right now am using Philips city vision moto 35/35 W on my Xtreme with better visibility and 40% increase in light. cost was Rs 450/- ,but this one not listed Philips India website. You can try on good reputed shops for the same.

Sorry can't hold but need to ask, All CBR variant bike comes 60/55 w H4 bulb as stock with DC lighting then how come it is illegal to use one ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
+avenger too i think. But i heard , above 35 W for bikes and 60w above cars are illegal. May be someone ho have much knowledge in our laws can clarify this.

Sorry can't hold but need to ask, All CBR variant bike comes 60/55 w H4 bulb as stock with DC lighting then how come it is illegal to use one ?
5) Halogen bulbs with P45t cap shall not be used for headlights on all
vehicles. Wattage of halogen bulbs
shall not exceed 70/75 watts for 24
volts and 60/65 for 12 volts systems.

the above quote taken from CMVR
1989 , so upto 60/65W legal for bike.

@ Releesh did you get that bulb ?

Last edited:
Hi Releesh,
Why not convert your bike to full DC. If you are looking for the steps to do,Please follow the link [:)]
replace with
--http://www(.)****(.)com/talkies/motorcycle-ownership-experiences/6831-suzuki-gs150r.html#post173758

I don't know why i am unable to post the link, anyway you can google with the link provided you will be taken to the page.

Last edited:
I own a SUzuki GS 150R and I am also facing the same issues with head light and after a long struggle, I have modified the headlight to HID 4000K 35W white bulb. Now I am satisfied with the white bulb, which gives a five times better light when comparing to ordinary bulb.

Top Bottom