A Solution To Avoid Side Stand Engaged Driving on a Bike

Thread Starter #1
Hey Friends,

This is very common for us to forget to disengage the side stand of a bike and at times it proved very dangerous. So here is a solution I found in facebook today and felt to share with you.

Please FIX This Extra CLIP at Your Side Stand of Your Two Wheeler & Avoid Accidents. It Does Not Allow You to Change GEAR, If Your Stand is NOT RELEASED...

Now we need to enquire with local auto parts or mechanics for this clip. If we do not get one I think it is a easy DIY to get this made with a workshop and fix it[:)] But got one doubt looking at this pic as if we want to disengage the side stand then will this not touch the gear arm ?? may be it may go inside with the disengaging angle of the side stand, need to check this practically

Attachments

Why our great two wheeler companies not come with these kind of things except that cheap and not lasting beep alarms. two problems i found.

1. side stand fixing position is different in different models. for some bikes it comes straight under the gear lever and in some new generation bikes, there is big distance between side stand and gear leaver
2.there is only tow shifter available for most of the new bikes. Heel side part or rear half of the pedal is missing.

(even for this type bikes, we can make the mirror image type of clip shown in the picture)

Hey this really excellent. Thanks for sharing RK.
Simple & superb! [clap].
This simple idea can further be enhanced by the auto manufacturer's. [:)]

Thread Starter #4
Yes, it looks to be a simple one but it is a important one as I have seen lot of people falling down from their bikes with the side stand engaged. So this kind of thing needs to be provided by the manufacturers along with the vehicle.

We really need to see how do we get this done on our own, I started thinking about it, but time is a constraint to me and I wish some of our enthusiastic DIY experts on the forum come up with a correct one and help us.

This is nice solution. But I think I have seen few bikes which have OEM beeps when side stand is not put to rest. It was surely in Kinetic Challenger bike.

Thread Starter #8
For toe type gearshift we can use the L clamps in such a way that it should obstruct the gear. attached is the sample design,
Your right ZMR with your suggestion. Yes a beep will also do if one can be fitted[:)]

In the original pic I posted in the beginning has something wrong position as while disengaging that cannot fold in side as explained with yellow color in the pic.

And the correct position of this clip should be like the one I have shown with silver color and in dotted I have shown how it will be if engaged[:)]

It is just an Idea as I could not show it properly with editing, it can be further refined and redesigned

Attachments

Well after looking at all the weird things shown above, I am happy with my technique and it's very simple "check the stand before moving" and yes, this technique is yet to fail..at least for me.

Well after looking at all the weird things shown above, I am happy with my technique and it's very simple "check the stand before moving" and yes, this technique is yet to fail..at least for me.
If your technique is yet to fail then you definitely deserve [clap]
I am glad to know that TSIVipul also drives bikes!

My Pulsar 180 sometimes give wrong indication eventhough the side stand is fully closed the red indication doesn't go off, sometimes i am confused with that.

For single Gear liver box i think its difficult to fit.

Most of the side stand indicator comes in the indian bikes and scooters(Specially TVS and Bajaj made) whether it is light or beep sound, not lasts more than 1 year.

Top Bottom