Suggest Moderate Modifications for Karizma ZMR

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am riding ZMR since Nov 2011 and it's a kind of hassle free and highly comfortable bike if being compared with Pulsar which I had (2006 Oct- 2011 Nov). Riding Pulsar was really fun and it used to give a teenager feeling while ZMR gives comfort to my back and it's a rider pleasure and it's not meant for racing but touring.

I am planning to slighly upgrade the bike for better performance and smooth ride. My modification will not consider change in the look, upsizing the tyres and modification with Exaust.

Kindly suggest on following in terms of advantage, cost and brand name.
1: Replacemnt of Spark Plug:
2: Replacement of Air Filter:
3: Replacemnt of Clutch and Front brake lever
4: Any onther suggested modification.

My budget is around 5k to 10k.

I would not suggest changing of spark plugs/air filters on a 223cc four stroke EFI bike. The ECU is already tuned for injecting a particular amount of air mixed with a particular amount of fuel at a given throttle opening unlike in a carburetted bike in which you could alter the air/fuel flow by changing jets and fiddling with the air-fuel mixture screw.

Similarly, the spark plug timing is also determined by the ECU map and any changes to the elctrodes may not necessarily bid well for the entire combustion process.

What I mean to say that you may go for a filter/plug change but the results may or may not be to your satisfaction unless you can find someone who could tune your ECU map (and its very rare that you would be able to find such a person - its way beyond the capabilities of a roadside mechanic).

However, if you really want to do a trial and error, go for a K&N filter (Rs. 3500) and an Iridium triple electrode spark plug (Rs 450). You can get both at performance racing store:

Performance Racing Store

You can also try Methods Automotive, though they usually deal in car parts:

Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories

What would you achieve by replacement of clutch and brake lever is something that I fail to understand. If its merely for looks, you may scour local Bangalore markets - you will find all such gimmicky stuff aplenty.

However, if I were you, I would keep my ZMR as stock as possible and enjoy its long legged performance with assured reliability.

Last edited:
^^Can I use these iridium triple spark plugs on my 220?
If yes,then will it need any changes to be made?

What will be the effect of this mod?

Thread Starter #4
However, if I were you, I would keep my ZMR as stock as possible and enjoy its long legged performance with assured reliability.
Hey Sam, point taken. I will not play with any parts which can cause disturbance to PGMFI engine.

Suggest me what is advantage of mixing 3M oil with normal engine oil.
Yes brake and clutch lever is for look, I like some aluminum or chrome lever.

@ERTIGA_ZMR: I do not see any immediate advantage of mixing 3M oil with engine oil. In all probability, it would be some kind of a ploymer that would form a protective coating - its something that no one can see or verify under normal usage conditions. Maybe if you compare a motorcycle that has run 100000kms on it with another motorcycle that has covered similar mileage on normal engine oil, you may be able to find a 0.01mm difference in piston dia, which is hardly of any consequence.

The Karizma is a normal commuter bike with relaxed performance. It does not require such expensive treatments and is designed to run perfectly well on manufacturer specified engine oil. Don't waste your money. Just stick to the manufacturer recommended specifications for all OEM parts and fluids and the Karizma will serve you reliably for many years over thousands of kilometres.

@TSIVipul: Don't waste your money. Stick to the OEM plug. If performance could be increased perceptibly by installing a 400-odd rupee spark plug, don't you think Bajaj would be fitting the same to the P220 at the factroy level itself?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
@ERTIGA_ZMR: I do not see any immediate advantage of mixing 3M oil with engine oil. In all probability, it would be some kind of a ploymer that would form a protective coating - its something that no one can see or verify under normal usage conditions. Maybe if you compare a motorcycle that has run 100000kms on it with another motorcycle that has covered similar mileage on normal engine oil, you may be able to find a 0.01mm difference in piston dia, which is hardly of any consequence.

?
Thanks Sam, your knowledge is really awesom. I sold Calliber Chroma just after 16k, Pulsar after 36K and I sure will keep karizma approx 50K as it's slightly better than Bajaj ageing engine. But 100K km is really too much to resist for new set of two wheels. I am also die hard biker and dreaming to buy a Harley in distant future not sure how it goes.

But you know, I am itching to do some sort of basic modification not sure what to do.I am a person who keeps the bike always healthy with routine check up like get the Chain lubricated on every 600 Km and regular service at 1800 KM.That's all the bikes I used were always in a mint condition.

Can I go for CBR 250's clutch and brake lever. I like the aluminum color over black painted.

@ZMR:Buddy I think you may be happy with some K&N air filters or you must visit some auto modifiers for some serious and of course perfect advise for your bike.But remember one thing:You are going to lose your warranty at the same time.

@Sam:Thanks a lot buddy for your advise,actually you may be right because I have covered just about 1600 kms on the bike from the day I bought it.Right now it has Shell Helix in her belly,which I'll be changing to some bike-recommended oil as soon as it goes for service.
BTW,why Shell Helix is not recommended for bike?Is the high revving engine any reason behind that?

Thread Starter #8
@ZMR:Buddy I think you may be happy with some K&N air filters or you must visit some auto modifiers for some serious and of course perfect advise for your bike.But remember one thing:You are going to lose your warranty at the same time.
Vipul, actually I will definately ask the HM serivce supervisor b4 installing non standard stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sam, your knowledge is really awesom. I sold Calliber Chroma just after 16k, Pulsar after 36K and I sure will keep karizma approx 50K as it's slightly better than Bajaj ageing engine. But 100K km is really too much to resist for new set of two wheels. I am also die hard biker and dreaming to buy a Harley in distant future not sure how it goes.

But you know, I am itching to do some sort of basic modification not sure what to do.I am a person who keeps the bike always healthy with routine check up like get the Chain lubricated on every 600 Km and regular service at 1800 KM.That's all the bikes I used were always in a mint condition.

Can I go for CBR 250's clutch and brake lever. I like the aluminum color over black painted.
Karizma engine has the highest ELF (Engine Life factor) among all Indian motorcycles apart from the Bullet. If ridden and maintained carefully, I am sure the engine can last for one lakh kilometres.

Going for XYZ brake lever or not is a purely aesthetic decision. If it fits on the yoke, and if you like it, go ahead by all means. If it doesnt fit on the yoke, you will have to change the yoke to that of the CBR 250. It's all a trial and error affair.

@Sam:Thanks a lot buddy for your advise,actually you may be right because I have covered just about 1600 kms on the bike from the day I bought it.Right now it has Shell Helix in her belly,which I'll be changing to some bike-recommended oil as soon as it goes for service.
BTW,why Shell Helix is not recommended for bike?Is the high revving engine any reason behind that?
As long as the oil meets the specifications laid down in the owner's manual, the brand of oil doesnt matter. Manufacturers recommend that brand with which they have a commercial tie up for obvious reasons. There is very liitle you will achieve performance wise if you change the brand of oil provided all brands have the same specification. Regular oil change is the key to a healthy engine. What blood is to the human body,oil is to the engine. If your blood group (OEM oil grade) is, say O- and the surgeon fills up your veins with A+ blood (non OEM oil grade), what would happen?

Similar thing happens to an engine too if an incorrect oil grade is used. What is important is - 1. stick to OEM grade of engine oil; and 2. Change oil at manufacturer specified intervals.

jalex has explained oil grades in his KTM Duke 200 thread. Check it out.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/7892-ktm-duke-200-i-7.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Sam bhai,

I spoke to Service Centre Head, he mentioned that we can go for Iredium Spark Plug and KN filter. By using so it will not affect any timing of PGMFI engine but it can increase the FE and performance. Kindly let me know if you have any other idea.

During rainy season , Zapper tyre is not so good with rear disc braking. I fumbled once on Friday evening while was on 30KMPH and my cousin on his Black ZMR he was about to fall down.Kindly suggest good tubeless tyre with better grip.

Michellein tyre does not have tubless section for bikes, could you please provide some good pointer.

I don't think adding a K&N and an iridium plug would perceptibly increase the peerformance. Consider this, even if it reduces the 0-100 kmph timing by a second or two, is it worth spending Rs. 4000 on it?
A K&N filter increases the airflow inside the cylinder head. If a proportionate amount of fuel is not injected inside the cylinder to combust with the increased airflow, the air-fuel mixture would run lean and the engine would overheat. Maybe the service head means that the PGM-FI system will automatically adjust the fuel intake to the increased airflow. But I suspect this.

Save your money. Avoid this. Try only if you don't mind wasting Rs. 4000. Even if it works, the performance gains won't be very satisfactory.

Go for Pirelli Dragon at the rear. Its a good tyre but it wears out soon. Rs. 3900.

Thread Starter #15
So what did you finally do to your ZMR? And hey, this is cheating - where is the ownership review?
As of now nothing Sam. As you suggested it will not increase the performance. I am against of doing cosmetic changes, it does not add value.

Ownership review, I will try for it for sure.

What about going for Joel exhaust for Karizma?
Long time since interacted with you.How you doing buddy. How much Joel exhaust will cost and what are advantage. BTW , I may upgrade it to Suzuki Inazuma in near future. These days I am rarely riding this beauty and totally loving Vespa S and car. But it does not make ZMR out of sight, this is indeed the best bike I owned till date.

Top Bottom