Need Help in Buying a Bicycle Under Rs.5,000

Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
I am thinking of shifting my idea from a Gearless scooter to bicylce! As i am in 10th and cops will be a problem.

The budget is 5000 Max.

1. Dont want gears.
2. Shocks is necessary.
3. A large one to accomodate a 5'6"

Thanks.
Please keep the replies pouring in.
I dont have time, getting it this weekend!

350Z

Core Team
Re: Want A New Bicycle! Help Needed!

I am thinking of shifting my idea from a Gearless scooter to bicylce! As i am in 10th and cops will be a problem.
You may obtain a license to ride gearless scooter (Sub-50cc) if you’re 16. Otherwise, electric bikes are also an option which neither require a license nor registration.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi
Electric Bike is the best option. But if you really like cycling then go for a geared one but with out suspensions. Suspensions below 15k are cheap(no use at all) and it makes the cycle heavy.

Please check this one from BSA.
Hercules Mach 19" 6 SPD Bicycles | Adults Cycles | Best Adults Bicycles | Cycle Manufacturers India | Bicycle Companies

if you stretch the budget a liitle i.e 2k more you will get Btwin Rockrider 5.0 or Hercules ACT 110S. Both these cycles are VFM and durable. check firefox Hardtrail series

http://www.playgroundonline.com/products/Btwin+-+ROCKRIDER+5.0+(MAN)/9243.aspx
http://www.bsahercules.com/Product-Features.asp?pid=200
http://www.firefoxbikes.com/Hardtail_26Cyclone.html

Last edited:
Ah.. someone looking for a cycle.

First thing off - don't buy a full suspension cycle. Unless you stay in a place where there are no roads. Or if you have a real bad back problem - then you shouldn't be cycling not in India at least.

Coming to your requirement. The budget you mention in on par on what a 10th standard student should be getting. Don't look at all the fancy cycles now. Its your parents money so do with whatever little you can. Your future education is going to cost a lot. So help them to save it for you.

Get a cycle that fits your requirement well. When I was your age I had a Streetcat. Used it from 9th Standard till I graduated. So that was a 7-8 years. And it went well.

Considering the above look for something that falls close to that.

PS: Don't even think of a mechanized machine till you are at least 18. Battery operated or otherwise. Maintenance costs are too high for a student this young.

Thread Starter #6

lxi.

Suspended
First thing off - don't buy a full suspension cycle. Unless you stay in a place where there are no roads. Or if you have a real bad back problem - then you shouldn't be cycling not in India at least.
Buddy, Roads in my area are nicely cemented ones. Almost every road is cemented. But, I will use the cycle for tutions where there is no road, Just stones and Broken Roads.[frustration]

The budget you mention in on par on what a 10th standard student should be getting. Don't look at all the fancy cycles now. Its your parents money so do with whatever little you can. Your future education is going to cost a lot. So help them to save it for you.
Yes, Yes, I am also trying to save thier money, So opting for a low priced cycle!

Get a cycle that fits your requirement well. When I was your age I had a Streetcat. Used it from 9th Standard till I graduated. So that was a 7-8 years. And it went well.
Nice, You would have maintained it well. So I have Zeroed upon DTB VX (Without Gear, With Suspensions) and X Sport (Without Gears, With Suspension). Tell Which is BEST?

PS: Don't even think of a mechanized machine till you are at least 18. Battery operated or otherwise. Maintenance costs are too high for a student this young.
Yes, Agree with you buddy. Will drive my Alto LXi once 18![evil]

Last edited:
go for Hercules fusion (no gear with adjustable suspension) for 4500 only and also well built for tough roads i too own one

Hi,
The suspensions you will get under 15,000 are mostly cheap. They will not help you on bad roads and after all it makes your cycle heavy. Go for gears as it helps in riding but no suspension. If though front suspension but not full suspension. You can easily ride through bad patches with out suspensions.

Earlier am using a Hero Octane Astra for cycling but now i upgraded to a Trek 3700 D. Hero Octane is with full suspension and now i knew the drawbacks of it as Trek is more lighter and gives a smoother ride.

Any day i will prefer a geared cycle than one with suspensions.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would get one of these:

Firefox Bikes » BMX Fox » Toxin

Specification
Frameset
Sizes : 12"
Frame : Steel Oversized BMX
Front Suspension : Steel Rigid
Rear Suspension : N/A
Drivetrain
Shifters : N/A
Front Deraileur : N/A
Rear Deraileur : N/A
Crankset : Steel 1 piece, 40T
BB Set : Steel, 9 pieces
Freewheel : 16T
Pedals : Alloy
Wheels
Wheels : Steel 36H Rims
Tires : Wanda BMX 20 X 2.125"
Components
Seat Post : Steel, 25.4 X 300mm
Handlebar : Steel BMX
Stem : Steel, 22.2mm
Headset : Steel 8 pcs.
Brakeset : Alloy "U" Brake w/Alloy Lever
Extras
2 Stunt Pegs

Attachments

Hi
Firefox is a good brand . But i heard about some issues with both firefox and Hercules in cyclist forums. Mainly i think Firefox problem is with the availability of service for their high end bikes and Hercules has some problem with gear shifts but there are many owners who are happy with these.

Prefer according to you requirement

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11

lxi.

Suspended
go for Hercules fusion (no gear with adjustable suspension) for 4500 only and also well built for tough roads i too own one
Buddy, If you have one. Can you post a pic for my reference. But i dont think it will be available here. Because in my area, There are 90% DTBs and 5% Street Rider and 5% X sport.

Buddy, Roads in my area are nicely cemented ones. Almost every road is cemented. But, I will use the cycle for tutions where there is no road, Just stones and Broken Roads.[frustration]
I still have my reservations on a full suspension cycle. Also with rear suspension you need the effort involved in pedaling is higher. Physics will tell you why.

Yes, Yes, I am also trying to save thier money, So opting for a low priced cycle!
Awesome, they will be proud of you.

Nice, You would have maintained it well. So I have Zeroed upon DTB VX (Without Gear, With Suspensions) and X Sport (Without Gears, With Suspension). Tell Which is BEST?
No experience with both. But I really think you should rethink the full suspension bikes.

+1 spitfire. Dont go behind those fancy cycles. You will give up cycling soon. But from the posts i understnad that you already made your mind on full suspension. then go for it and please have an ownership report also.
Enjoy cycling. Please opt for a rear view mirror and a Bell

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

lxi.

Suspended
Hehe. I have seen Rear View mirrors on Rickshaws! Lol.
But a Bell is a thing I am gonna put up.
Actually, The budget is also low because the cycle will be used till Jan2013 (Till me 10th class). Then I will buy a Tvs Wego or something other better than it! After one year, it will go kabhaaad ke bhaw. I have had an Atlas Storm (MRP-3500 Rs. and sold for Rs.300 after one year) and then bought Street Racer (MRP-3800Rs. and sold for Rs.700 after 2 years) , both were sold at kabhaad prices!

Top Bottom