Vespa Brings New Range of Scooters in India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Yes!
Piaggio a wholly owned subsidiary of Italian 2 Wheeler Maker, Better known for its 3 Wheelers in India is now going to introduce its Vespa 2 Wheeler Scooters in India by Next Year followed by brands such as Gilera, Aprilia and Derbi, a small motorcycle. In order to launch all these brands, the company is setting up a Rs 360-crore two-wheeler engine plant at Baramati to power its scooters.

This will be Vespa’s third entry into India. Vespa was considered a household name in geared scooters due to Piaggio’s initial entry into the India through a licence-manufacture agreement with Bajaj Auto in 1960s. The agreement expired in 1971 and Bajaj Auto started making geared scooters like the Chetak. In 1983, Piaggio tied up with LML to make geared scooters, but the joint venture was called off in 1999.

Source: Motorbeam

Drive Safe!
350Z

Excellent! Now, here comes the real threat for Honda ! I always fancied to have their MP3 series and XEVO models in India.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Its nice news that such modern scooters are making their way to India.
There was even a news about Yamaha bringing its sporty looking scooters to India.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Yes! But i think yamaha will not launch those as they give more sporty feel!

Piaggio's move seems to be good & if priced properly & supported by good service, they will get good market share!

I think Vespa will have a tough time against established players. They have to bring innovative products with attractive pricing and a good marketing team.

Vespa and Piaggio are familiar brands in India. So, IMO it won't take that pain to establish. Dealer network & ASS are the major area they might face the challenge. As CC said, here they need to compete with the established players.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
Vepa Scooters Coming To India, Again?

The iconic scooter manufacturer Vespa is all set to begin its third outing in the Indian scooter market. Vespa entered the Indian market way back in the 1960’s with a JV with Bajaj which ended in 1971. Then Vespa tied up with LML for its second innings in India, between 1983 and 1999. Now Piaggio, Vespa’s parent company has given the green signal for Vespa’s Indian re-entry. The Board of Piaggio has approved a proposal to invest around 30 million euros (Rs 170 crores) over two years to set up a manufacturing plant with an annual capacity of 1.5 lakh units in India. The Italian manufacturer wants to take advantage of the lucrative Indian scooter market, the Indian two-wheeler market being the second largest in the world.

Piaggio also plans to establish boutique showrooms for selling the range of Vespa scooters. Piaggio would first roll out the Vespa LX 125 scooter by the end of 2012. Then would gradually bring in more powerful scooters. Piaggio is bullish about the Indian scooter market and is hoping to sell around 1.1 lakh units in the first three years and estimating revenues from the scooter business to touch Rs 400 crores in these three years. Piaggio Vehicles India Pvt Ltd, which is currently manufacturing three- and four-wheeled small LCV’s, is the segment leader in leader in three-wheeled LCV’s. The company’s plant is located in Baramati, Maharashtra and the future Vespa scooters could also be manufactured here in addition to the proposed new factory.

GTS250_575.jpg
(Courtesy: IMB)

Drive Safe,
350Z

Wow scooters with disc brakes and alloy wheels! But can these scooters survive against the likes of the sporty Yamaha , Bajaj , HH??!!

Just noticed that the spelling of vespa on thread topic is incorrect.
But interestingly, I read it as Vespa. [:)]

I am not sure if this will be a hit in today's trend. Geared scooters are getting scarce and giving way to gearless scooters. In such a climate, will the geared Vesap scooters make any impact. It could not make it to the top even when gearless scooters were just imagination.
Nothing against the scooter but this was just a view point.

The scooter (from the image) actually looks gorgeous with disc brakes and alloys. I always like Vespa looks even in the good olden days when it was introduced.

Wow scooters with disc brakes and alloy wheels! But can these scooters survive against the likes of the sporty Yamaha , Bajaj , HH??!!
if you are talking about activa, avaiator etc then i dont feel they are typically scooters. or even if they are they dont offer disc brakes and other such features which will be coming in vespas. hope vespa will be successful this time.

Top Bottom