Suzuki Samurai Restoration Idea

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone

I just turned 19 and have got the nod for getting a nice bike or car.I was always into the old vehicles and my budget is 50K rupees (Actually 1L but that's another story and I need your help).I always loved the Suzuki Shogun THE BOSS! but listening to my father's story of how many of his (then rich) friends owned few of them,mileage was low and maintainance was high,combined with the nearly non-existant availability of spare parts...I had to drop the idea.

But Suzuki Samurai is a bike that is still very famous,Just above Half as powerful as the Shogun but both the problems were solved - Mileage was really good and maintainance was cheap.The bike was built well and parts are still plentily available,easy to get.But I really want the Shogun style of looks.So after few weeks of search,I was able to find one for 8K....In a pathetic shape though,Perfect for a Restoration.

Would it be practical if I try to make it look like a Shogun or should I stick with the originality in Restoration ? What would be the cost of a complete Restoration both cosmetically and mechanically ? Is it feasable ?

Also need your help in this Thread,Guys -
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/nostalgic-era/33811-restoration-does-make-sense-anymore.html#post562142

Thanks a lot everybody :)

I would suggest you to stick with the original Samurai parts. Though the Shogun parts may easily fit and would be swappable, it would lead to unnecessary problems with RTO officials in case your bike is stopped for checking. Also, you may need to re-register the bike once it turns 15 years old and the Shogun look may not help. Having owned a Shogun, I know that was a bike more popular for its engine than it's looks. Cost of complete restoration would depend on the condition of the bike and the amount of parts that need to be changed. If you are planning to change all bores, pistons and engine related parts, as well as do a full rewiring and painting, it may come upto 25k. Would suggest you to first get the bike done mechanically, and then decide on what kind of look you want on it. Keep it mechanically stock, and you can decide about the cosmetic part at a later stage.

Thread Starter #3
I would suggest you to stick with the original Samurai parts. Though the Shogun parts may easily fit and would be swappable, it would lead to unnecessary problems with RTO officials in case your bike is stopped for checking. Also, you may need to re-register the bike once it turns 15 years old and the Shogun look may not help. Having owned a Shogun, I know that was a bike more popular for its engine than it's looks. Cost of complete restoration would depend on the condition of the bike and the amount of parts that need to be changed. If you are planning to change all bores, pistons and engine related parts, as well as do a full rewiring and painting, it may come upto 25k. Would suggest you to first get the bike done mechanically, and then decide on what kind of look you want on it. Keep it mechanically stock, and you can decide about the cosmetic part at a later stage.
Thanks for the response sir.I think you make Perfect sense here.RTOs will make a problem out of it.So if at all,I go for this,I will stick with the Samurai theme.25K doesn't sound too bad for a complete rebuild.

Really wish I could get an actual Shogun and parts weren't this hard to get and mileage was atleast 30kmpl.

If you are planning to change all bores, pistons and engine related parts, as well as do a full rewiring and painting, it may come upto 25k.
[surprise]
Do share the leads for such a cost effective source for complete restoration. I'm spending at least 2 folds of what you mentioned here at Chennai for a proper restoration.
At least for the future restorations (if any) I could make use of your source.

Last edited:
[surprise]
Do share the leads for such a cost effective source for complete restoration. I'm spending at least 2 folds of what you mentioned here at Chennai for a proper restoration.
At least for the future restorations (if any) I could make use of your source.
I had got my Shogun fixed in Pune by a mechanic who used to work for a TVS service center, quite a few years back (2013) which had come to around 20k.
I did not get it done in the TVS service center but had the mechanic work on it independently.
I don't remember the exact parts changed, but yes, engine work(not sure of the extent of it) and rewiring was done. Painting was not required, and I had acquired the Panels slowly and changed one by one. The price would much higher now, and I made a mistake quoting without considering inflation and further difficulty to acquire parts. I had later moved to Bangalore, so am not in touch with the mechanic anymore.
The contact is Abdul -9822953548(Pune), but I am not sure if he still takes up such work.

Top Bottom