Replacing My 350cc Bullet (1986) With a New Bullet 500

Thread Starter #1
I am thinking of selling my old bullet(1986 model, CI engine) and buy a new bullet, am I thinking straight?

The thing is I am riding this bike from the last thirteen years and I am looking for a change and in my life I have not ridden any other bike than bullet. My dad passed on to me his bike after totally restoring it when I was just 13, and I have been riding it ever since. Although i was very much involved in small repairs and maintenance myself earlier and know my bike inside out, but from past 4-5 yrs i have been just riding it and not maintained properly and hence its showing its age in many places and may require some engine work and full re-paint with chrome buffing.

checked out all the bikes available in market from 150cc to 300cc but did not like any of them, So I started to think to buy a new bullet but i know the charm isn't there but still in a dilemma, as I am thinking I can upgrade to a standard 500 bullet(carb version) from the existing 350

what do u think guys?

Last edited:
Re: I am thinking of selling my old 350cc bullet(1986 model) and buy a new bullet 500

If possible, please restore the bike and keep alive it's legacy as it was passed by your father.

And If your income sources permits, you can also buy the 500 Carb. So, that you can have two different bullets.

well you have been riding bullet mean you are accustomed to the gears and brakes on the other side. To have more people adopt bullets, RE have reverse the brakes and gear position. it would be tad bit difficult. Again, as every one say and even i say old bullet have their own charm. Dont sell the old one. Restore it and also buy a new one.

I am thinking of selling my old bullet(1986 model, CI engine) and buy a new bullet, am I thinking straight?

The thing is I am riding this bike from the last thirteen years and I am looking for a change and in my life I have not ridden any other bike than bullet. My dad passed on to me his bike after totally restoring it when I was just 13, and I have been riding it ever since. Although i was very much involved in small repairs and maintenance myself earlier and know my bike inside out, but from past 4-5 yrs i have been just riding it and not maintained properly and hence its showing its age in many places and may require some engine work and full re-paint with chrome buffing.

checked out all the bikes available in market from 150cc to 300cc but did not like any of them, So I started to think to buy a new bullet but i know the charm isn't there but still in a dilemma, as I am thinking I can upgrade to a standard 500 bullet(carb version) from the existing 350

what do u think guys?
I own a 500Std and it's an excellent byke with the best ELF (engine life due to its low end rpm at 3800) and better thump among'st all bullet models. But if your majority of riding is in city, then you may also consider a 350cc for better mileage.

That CI engine bullet is what I call a bullet with a heart. Though difficult to maintain there is something to that.Anyway,if you get good price we cannot stop you from selling that.The best thing will be to restore it and use it on weekends.The new bullet can be classic if your drive to work is less and a TB if it is a long drive. Would prefer you to go for 350 keeping the mileage in mind.

Never Never Never!
Never sell that Ci 1986 Bullet. It sells today for about 1.2L here in Chennai!
CI bullets are the true bullets, others are bullet like looking craps.
I think you are already used to this CI Engine type of gear-brake arrangement. If you have any experience with today's bikes, then the UCE REs will be easy for you.

well you have been riding bullet mean you are accustomed to the gears and brakes on the other side. To have more people adopt bullets, RE have reverse the brakes and gear position. it would be tad bit difficult. Again, as every one say and even i say old bullet have their own charm. Dont sell the old one. Restore it and also buy a new one.
Totally wrong.... brakes or gears at opposite side, it will hardly 5-10 min to adjust. Not at all difficult.

Stop talking nonsense guys. What's so great about the old bullet? It spends more time at the mechanic than on the road. Take advantage of the hype and sell it at a high price. That's what I did. The new one also have some quality issues but are modern bikes with a classic look.

If possible retain the old one and buy new bullet, you may restore it later in remembrance of your father.
What's so great about the old bullet?
Except for the below mentioned points, nothing so great about the old bullet
- Antique / Classic status
- Crisp thump (than the latest ones, with factory fitted exhaust)
- Ability to do lower speeds at higher gears
- No (much) abnormal noise from engine (latest ones with self start gearing makes noise)

PS: I'm not against the old bullets. Here is my mechanic's fully restored Bullet (1990 model), converted to Electronic and added disk brake at the front. I love riding it and I take for a spin very often
IMG_2723.JPG

Keep the old bike with you and don't sell it as we all know that "Old is gold". And still even though we have the most fancy looking bullets nowadays, but still it is a head turner than the present models.

If you are mostly used to the reversed brakes and gear shift pattern of your old bullet then drive a normal bike (for example: drive a bike which has a toe and heel shifter like the modern RE's have) for 2 - 3 weeks and after getting used to it buy a RE 500.

Peter Saab,I know you are a scorned owner.[;)]You had a vintage bullet.Sadly it had made you spend lots of time and money at the mechanic .You sold it off and bought a KTM .
Sir,Please don't kill our enthusiasm for the bull.There are many CI engine bikes which are well maintained and used for daily usage.This also had got an iconic image as it was the same machine from the 40's which was used till the end of the last century.We love the bike with all its lacks and issues.For example,my grandfather had a bull which, sadly he cannot pass it to me,as I was too young for that.All his army/military stories revolve around that bike and whenever I see a 50/60 era bullet I think, I have an affection for that. He also gave his manuals/books of that time on how he to manage the bike.My interest in bikes made him buy me my first bike when I was 20.I bought my first bullet when I am 35.So some attachments will be there.My son is so attached to my bullet that he is like mad for it.When I will have extra money I will buy and restore an old bull for me and will give my bike to my son.(though only after he reaches 18).I don't want to make me look like an emotional fool,but the bikes do have an emotional attachment for many.Bullet remains top among them,it is passed on to many generations.In this rapidly changing world,what is left of humanity may be these attachments to bikes and cars of your parents.

what do u think guys?
I have a 87 model fully restored bike. I have the vehicle since 2005. It was passed to me by my dad. He still drives it once or twice in a year. I added disc brake, changed it to 12v electric system. No other changes. Now I feel it is hustle free.

I have driven both new 350, even the classic 350. No doubt the new ones are good. Good stability when braking and all. I still feel the old 350 better. It is more heavier, might not be fast as the new bikes but very good torque.

My bike was repainted in 2003, except for a few scratches on the tank it's fantastic to drive. I got offers to selling it at 1.5lakhs. But I will not sell it.

It is the only vehicle which has gained back market value more than a new one.

Built like a Cannon. Goes like a bullet. Bullet.

@generalmax thats what makes us INDIAN for others we are emotional fools. however for us we are what we are Period. @ Peter sir i know the red bull that you had restored it was a head turner for sure.
However RE's are special among people who fall for it. may be it didn't make you fall enough or it showed you more tantrums than any other bike. and yes you are right splendor is done a fab job and took the abuse too. KB100's have done their job too. Yamaha's have done their job too. Yezdis have done their job a tad well by running with any kind of fuel it was filled with. However having said all these. Apart from the yezdi's and bulls we don't call any bikes classic. so lets say those who have fallen for bulls live in the yester years who believe old is gold and who believe it is not just a machine but a piece of family history or legacy.

Last edited:

Top Bottom