Lovely 1.5 Decade 1.4 Lakh Kms: Yamaha YBX (Refurbished)

Thread Starter #1
Hello fellow TAIs. Happy to connect with you all with this thread.

Like to take you folks to a small trip on my YAMAHA YBX 2000 model year. Yes its a 1.5 decade old bike.

The year 2000 then, i was doing my schooling we bought this bike. YBX was a replacement for my dads humble work horse hero honda CD 100. Sad the bike was lost in theft.

My family was always associated with 4 stroke bikes, so the inclination was to YBX rather than RX. Me being in schooling have never driven an RX 135 or 100 back then missed the opportunity or a chance to pick an RX...

Still i would say YBX is the closest bike in 4 stroke category which can stand close to RX in terms to riding pleasure. Man i just love to hear the throttle sound, the lovely exhaust beat specially in the first two gears. its actually a music to my ears.

The pick up the bike initially had was awesome, you can actually feel the forward rush mainly due to light weight construction. The power out put was 11.5 BHP for a 125 CC unit.

Now after 15 years of owner ship, Lovely college days with the bike the odo reads 40K, which is a second rotation , yap the bike has done 1,40,000 KMS.

Had a rebore in 1,00,000 KMS - 4 years back.

Have done count less small one feet wheelies in city traffics, the bike has involved in 4 small accidents and 3 major accidents.. Well i could not forget one, i was throne away from the bike at 75 KMS while overtaking a qualis.. How ? There was a dog crossing the raoad, it missed to qualis tyres and struck in my bike. Its only after the roll over i understood that the bike has hit a dog.

My bad i was not wearing helmet on that day, while being dragged on the road for about 20 - 30 feet i noticed my face being rubbed with the road [frustration]. First thing i did was to look for a mirror.

To my utter shock half of my face was white, yes the outer skin was wipped away. No eyebrows, No eyelashes. That moment i thought i lost my cute face. I might turn up looking like a villan.

The accident happened in Vellore, Thanks to CMC hospital i completely recovered from the accident scare. I took 2 months time.

Buddies always were HELMET, If at all i was wearing one on that day i would have recovered form the accident in just 2 days!

Ok Now about the restoration, Well me and my dad loved to maintain the vehicles at top notch condition. We loved to wax the machines, at least once in two months. The best wax polish we used was DUPONT 3000 S . It got discontinued few years back. Now im liking megulier.

The Bikes fuel tank started developing leaks, When checked with the service station the guy suggested to a welding job. To my horror the tank looked like a garbage can with Putty swipped in the bottom. i hated to even drive the bike.

Thought of repainting the whole bike, But i noticed extreme rust development inside the tank. So finally decided to give a make over to the old beauty. Ordered full body kit.
It took about 2 months time to procure all the parts. Changed front wheel.

My bike wears the old pulsar headlight assembly, Original YBX unit was not bright.

My bikes original colour was maroon, This time i opted RED which turned out looking really good. Though the graphics looks bit heavy [surprise]

Pics for you to enjoy.

Fuel Tank / Side body panels / Rear body panels / Front bumpers / Seat covers / Front wheel - All replaced.

All others you see are original parts, Wanted to maintain the original engine paint. Thought few areas are faded it added character to the bikes age.

1,40,000 KMS for a wheeler is a great achievement. Still the driving comfort and handling is un changed.

Love Yamaha ! Always.

Attachments

Re: Lovely 1.5 DECADE 1.4 LACS KMS YAMAHA YBX - REFURBISHED

Congrats buddy, happy to see a fellow rider who love to restore a 15 year bike rather than upgrading to a bigger / better one. Few cents from my side,
- Paint the rear hub and replace the spokes (that spoils the look of entire bike)
- Clutch & brake levers were positioned in poor ergonomics. This may be of your liking, but hard to reach during panic situations

Do you mind sharing the cost involved?

Thread Starter #3
Thanks buddy. Spent around 17000 which includes 3000 towards reregistration.

Yeah. You are correct the casting parts looks bad. I'm more worried of the quality and long term durability if repainted locally.

I'm beginning to hear mild tick tick noise from the engine. Which might be due to crank and tappet related ageing.

Also having an idea to do a complete engine rebuild after 3 years. Including crank shaft replacement. Where I can club the repainting of aluminium parts.

Also noting some ageing in chassis, which might require a full repainting, think it will hold good for next 3 years.

The job was done in Yamaha authorised dealer walajapet.

On the clutch and break. First time some one drives my bike, they need to be careful for me now I'm used to it.

More over my current driving range is only 10 kms a day... If I don't take the car.

Mr.Boss I saw your RX 135 restoration thread. Lovely work there. Any idea how much cost would be involved for a full engine work including crank and tappets.

Is there a possibility to order a new engine from the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Boss I saw your RX 135 restoration thread. Lovely work there.
Thanks for the complements [:)]
Any idea how much cost would be involved for a full engine work including crank and tappets.
Including Crank & Tappet replacement? Sorry, I don't have idea. Take reference of my Pulsar engine work which includes reboring, Piston & Rings from Goetze / Usha (I don't remember exactly), Crank balancing, New Valves and valve seating. All these costed me around 3k
Is there a possibility to order a new engine from the company.
I don't think they sell a complete engine. But parts are available including the crankcase.

hi om_nivaz, awesome story with pics man. I too have a 1999 model YBX and have restored it recently. You can refer my restoration thread for any engine rebuild queries. Even my bike has done 1.5 lac plus in past 15 years. In fact it is going strong day by day ! Happy riding

Thread Starter #6
hi om_nivaz, awesome story with pics man. I too have a 1999 model YBX and have restored it recently. You can refer my restoration thread for any engine rebuild queries. Even my bike has done 1.5 lac plus in past 15 years. In fact it is going strong day by day ! Happy riding

Hi kiran. Read your ybx thread, we have a similar bikes. In fact my bikes factory build colour code is black.
My dad always prefer number 5... We selected an engine number ending with 5 it turned out to be a black colour bike. Requested a swap to maroon fittings...
Saw you have used couple of different sproket settings in your bike. Can you give me some more technical details as to different combinations of possible changes and its pros cons. My current sprocket might soon need a replacement.

Top Bottom