NGT Bans Two-Wheelers From Entering Rohtang Pass

Thread Starter #1
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a show-cause notice to the Himachal Government for allowing traffic chaos in and around the eco-sensitive Rohtang Pass. The Green Court has asked the state government as to why should a complete ban not be imposed on tourism activities in the mountain pass.

A Bench, headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar, raised objections on the state government’s approach in implementing the orders of the tribunal and allowing traffic chaos to prevail in the area. According to reports, not even a single direction of the Tribunal has been complied with. There were around 5,000 tourist vehicles at Rohtang as against the permitted limit of 1,000 per day.

The NGT had earlier banned all diesel and petrol tourist vehicles from entering the mountain pass till August 14, 2015. The Green Court had also limited the number of vehicles from entering the popular area to 1,000 per day.

It had directed each vehicle, permitted to Rohtang Pass, to pay environmental compensation at the rate of Rs 1,000 for petrol vehicle and Rs 2,500 for diesel vehicle.

The tribunal had also said that each vehicle which carries more than six passengers would be liable to pay compensation of Rs 5,000 as environmental compensation and these charges are payable for single entry.

Source: www.zigwheels.com

Why two wheelers have been banned? When courts take onto themselves the role of policy making, which should be done by the government/legislature, sometimes unreasonable/illogical rules are thrust upon the general public. And unlike government/legislature, where you can be heard, here you are just supposed to follow the rule - Court ka order hai.

This is like banning diesel cars over 10 years of age in Delhi. I may keep my car in the best condition, properly serviced and maintained, but I need to get rid of it after 10 years.

Disclaimer: I do not have any diesel car.[:)]

Last edited:
When you are unable to control the situation, BAN everything. The day is not far when a BAN on breathing oxygen will be levied, and everybody who breaths, would have to pay Breathing Tax. Our country is becoming BAN-ned-it with each day.

Thread Starter #4
Its not that bad guys as per the rules the local body was supposed to allow only 1000 vehicles per day so that there is less congestion so that we can travel safe. its not a broad road so imposing such laws for our own safety but i agree that banning only two wheelers will not solve the congestion problem.

If this is banned then bikers travelling to Leh/Spiti via Rohtang will be really disappointed ( Including me ) But if it good for nature and especially any calamity ( Remember Kedarnath ) then it will be really difficult situation.

Top Bottom