Royal Enfield Himalayan Unveiled

Thread Starter #1
The Himalayan is believed to be the codename for Royal Enfield’s upcoming adventure touring motorcycle. With the adventure touring market on the rise in India, proof being Triumph selling significant numbers of their Tiger range and Bajaj coming up with their own adventure touring motorcycles, the Pulsar AS 150 and Pulsar AS 200, the Himalayan could leverage from its positioning in the market, slotting right in the middle of entry level adventure motorcycles and the premium segment.

There is a striking difference in design between the current breed of Royal Enfield motorcycles and the Himalayan. The rear seat is high up as the entire tail section is lifted to provide better suspension travel to tackle off-roading, although the rake angle of the front forks look pretty similar to the current motorcycles like the Thunderbird.

The tank on the Himalayan looks specially attended to, with quite a visible increase in the volume, translating to larger fuel capacity. For the engine, the Himalayan is expected to feature a completely new 390 cc, single-cylinder unit.

Given the Royal Enfield riders’ preference for long distance touring over vastly varied terrain conditions, the Himalayan would serve as a logical option for those looking to upgrade.

Royal Enfield Himalayan spotted testing in Chennai

Attachments

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan Spotted Testing in Chennai

royal-enfield-himalayan (1).jpg

royal-enfield-himalayan.jpg

A fresh batch of spy shots of Iconic bike maker Royal Enfield's Himalayan has emerged online, not long after we saw the first set of spy shots of the adventure tourer.

In the latest images, the most striking thing is the RE Himalayan's exhaust. The last time when the test mule of Royal Enfield adventure touring motorcycle was spied, the model was seen with a Continental GT styled exhaust, but this time around the bike flaunted a dual-tone upward positioned exhaust. Apart from this, the images posted by GaadiWaadi also reveal the handle bar, seating position, and the new instrument cluster of the Himalayan.

Expected to be powered by new 410cc single block, air cooled engine, the new adventure motorcycle of Royal Enfield will be developed by famous motorcycle designer Pierre Terblanche, who is part of the company since last November.

There is not much detail about Himalayan tourer as the model is believed to be in its early stages of development, but the repeated sightings of the new Royal Enfield on the roads indicate that the launch is not too far off. There seems to be mono-shock absorber and front and rear disc brakes in place for the new Himalayan.

Rumours also suggest that Royal Enfield has applied for trademark in India as well as Europe with the name, "Himalayan". The model is expected to hit the road by next year, with a price tag of around ₹2.75 lakh. [roll]

Royal Enfield Himalayan Spied Testing again, New Details Emerge [PHOTOS]

Akash1886

Honoured Member

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Friends,

Here is the fully production ready model of the Himalayan, which looks to be a proper adventure bike with the design of a scrambler.

Link

Regards

Akash

looks like a scrambler. may be RE's are venturing into the scrambler's but will the pushrod engine give the performance of a scrambler is something i doubt.

410cc Royal Enfield Himalayan to be priced @ Rs. 1.65 lakh

So, some very interesting news crops up on the internet.

The next big thing from Royal Enfield, the Himalayan will be priced around Rs. 1.65 – 1.85 lakh. Royal Enfield wants to play the volumes game and will intentionally price this new & advanced motorcycle lower than the existing 500cc models.
The Himalayan will be launched around November 2015.

Expect the scrambler-styled model to be priced around Rs. 1.65 lakh & the full adventure-spec model to be priced around Rs. 1.85 lakh.

The design which we have seen in earlier spyshots has been confirmed to be 90% the real deal. Only at the front, a new beak will be added which is synonymous of adventure motorcycles worldwide.

Powering the Himalayan will be a 410cc, single-cylinder motor producing over 28 PS of power and over 32 Nm of torque. The engine is in the final testing & tuning stage. The engine will get overhead cams which will replace the traditional push rods, this will result in a much more refined engine. Also, the new motor is expected to revv freely up to 6,500 – 7,000 RPM and will also get a counter balancer to reduce vibrations.

The chassis is an all-new double cradle frame developed by Harris Performance. The subframe has also been reinforced to increase luggage carrying capability.
The Himalayan will get a new instrument cluster with digital display for 2 trip meters, compass & altitude meter.
Source

so finally the suspense is revealed. good that there are changes to the engine and measures have been taken to reduce the vibrations. however i doubt whether this would sell as the company is expecting it to. given the market trend it would have been nice if they would come up with cruiser bikes not Thunderbird kinds but real lay back cruisers. the fan base would have increased by many folds its IMO.

so finally the suspense is revealed. good that there are changes to the engine and measures have been taken to reduce the vibrations. however i doubt whether this would sell as the company is expecting it to. given the market trend it would have been nice if they would come up with cruiser bikes not Thunderbird kinds but real lay back cruisers. the fan base would have increased by many folds its IMO.
I agree with incarnation.I don't think this category is the strength of Enfield.If they are changing the engines and looks too,then it is a very dangerous zone they are stepping in too.May be they looking for a different consumer rather than an Enfield fan. The best,that I would expect,would have been a twin engine push rod bullet at 1.5 to 2.5 L with a better styling .

@generalmax if they come up with twins nothing like it. Harley will have to shut doors in India. i don't know whats stopping them from getting on the drawing boards and redesign the engine that was previously designed. May be a meteor, interceptor or for that matter a 976cc V twin engine which they came up in 1924 or the 1000 cc cannon. these models were previously manufactured. the only thing the company need to work on is the emission norm. also i somewhere heard while chit chatting that Indian companies cannot produce engines above 250cc. anything beyond this will have to be imported or should come through a joint venture. how true is this info i do not know. if anyone knows please shed some light. how i wish they would come up with V twins in a cruiser bike. will cefinitely book it come what may.[:D]

Clearest snap of the Royal Enfield Himalayan emerges

Royal-Enfield-Himalayan-side-spyshot.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan has been spotted testing a number of times and the launch of the bike is expected before the end of the year.

The Himalayan will be the only 400 cc adventure tourer when it is launched in the market.
The latest and the clearest spyshot of the adventure tourer has surfaced courtesy of Motor Vikatan.
The Himalayan has a single-tube chassis with the rear getting a new subframe along with brackets for carrying saddle bags, and an upswept tail pipe. Many parts of the tourer are borrowed from the Continental GT such as headlight, fuel tank, instrument cluster and brake discs at both ends.
The engine is reportedly a brand new oil-cooled, single cylinder, four stroke 410 cc motor producing 29 bhp of maximum power and 32 Nm of peak torque. Transmission will be taken care of by a 6-speed unit.

The Himalayan will be the only 400 cc adventure tourer when launched in the market and according to the Motor Vikatan, the launch will happen on the eve of Diwali with a price tag of over INR 2 lakh.

Source: Motor Vikatan and Indian autos blog

All is well with it except that the Rider isnt wearing a safety boot nor safety gloves very strange though.

Last edited:

This guy had come out to drink tea ? Was he testing or just teasing people? [;)]People around don't even mind the bike? This picture clearly says,no pillion rider allowed!I think the machine is different from the RE classics and sound will be way too different too.

yes its a more powerful engine used. i think this was designed from the scratch. its not the regular push rod engine that is used in this machine. also this is more of an offroader ( adventure) or scrambler kind of looking bike from the RE stable. Probably this is an experiment by RE to venture into different kind of segments which is definitely a good news. I had read somewhere that they will be coming out with bikes with differrent engine specs ranging from 350cc-1250cc not sure when though. if that happens Harley India will have a economical contender which will be a good news for the consumer in the 0.5 litre and the litre segment. wish this news goes true.

A few observations

- Pillion seat cushion on lower side
- No provision for pillion grab handle :suspect:
- Rider foot pegs more on the aggressive side [thumbsdown]
- Daily commute during monsoon :- the person following this RE scrambler would have a tough time wading those flying dirt [cry]

Good that you posted, i was just going through the news on Shifting gears.

Now, lets hope the pricing is right. Bring it on RE.

Top Bottom