With the increase in taxi and bus fares, we decided to go for a two wheeler which would be convenient for daily errands and commutes too. We decided to go for a scooter due to it's great storage space and utility. We fixed a budget of Rs 60000 and here are the options we considered :-
- Honda Activa
- Hero Maestro
- Yamaha Alpha
- Mahindra Gusto Our Final Choice :-
We chose the Hero Maestro finally due to it's good looks, more features and nearby service center and also our family preferred it. Also, Hero gave a 5 year warranty with the Maestro which had won our hearts. Why were the Rest rejected :-
- Honda Activa :- It was too common on Mumbai roads and also there was lack of service centers and good mechanics in our area. Also, it was Rs 3000 more expensive then the Maestro and in that money we could pay for fuel, accessories and service costs.
- Yamaha Alpha :- We have a Yamaha Ray at our Pune home and we wanted to try something new. Also, rattles had started creeping into the scooter's body and the service center was far away from our home.
- Mahindra Gusto :- We were skeptical about the Gusto because it was a new product and also Mahindra was relatively new in the scooter market compared to Hero and Honda.
- We also rejected all TVS scooters since our relative has a Scooty Pep and a Wego which had got starting issues after a year of usage. Also, there was a lack of service centers in Mumbai. Dealership & Buying Experience :-
We bought the scooter from Fortpoint Hero, Mahim. Our salesperson Mr.Vikesh was co-operative and also was informative about the scooter. We paid the full amount at once and then the dealership delivered the scooter to our home. We booked the scooter at 3.30pm and got it home delivered on 7.30pm on the same day. On Road Price :-
Rs 61000 including registration and 1 year ICICI insurance. Accessories offered :-
- Steel guard
- 500 ml petrol
We wanted to buy OEM
accessories but they were overpriced. For e.g :- The handle grip was priced at Rs 100 at the dealership but I sourced a better handle grip for Rs 50. Accessories fitted till now :-
- Handle grip cover - Rs 50
- Seat cover - Rs 160
- Floor mat - Rs 350 2000 kms experience :-
The experience has been very good and till now it has been a very good experience. There was only one problem where the scooter stopped in between and started after some time. That issue went away on its own. The service experience has also been very good but in the first service I was looted as they charged for unnecessary things like Teflon coating and engine flush. Positives of the scooter :-
- Great features like analog-digital instrument console
- Reliable engine like the Activa
- 5 year warranty with the scooter
- Looks better than the Activa (personal opinion)
- Broad seat which can seat two healthy adults
- Great pickup and top speed of 85 km/h Negatives of the scooter :-
- Fiber body. The rear creaks when pressure is applied.
- Mirrors are colored and attract scratches. Also, they used to get loose every 50 km.
- Sudden stalling issue which had occured some time back but has been solved on its own now Here are the pictures :-
Front profile looks attractive
The side seems to be inspired by the Activa
Rear looks similar to the Activa
Instrument console looks good and does a full sweep before starting
High beam indicator. Headlights are not so effective and the headlamp focus is weird
Keyhole has a useful shutter lock
Key given with the scooter
LCD Screen shows Fuel Content, Odometer, Trip Meter and Service Due indicator
Tyre Information and Maximum Weight
Underseat storage is enough to store a full sized helmet and vehicle papers
Kick Start Lever