DIY Solutions For Royal Enfield UCE Starting Complaints

Thread Starter #1
Hi Bulleteers,

This is my first post in TAI. In this I just want to give a DIY solution for the common starting complaints which I have experienced with my Enfield UCE Standard 350.

Please excuse me for the non technical languages and terms used.

The bull will not start in the following conditions.

1. A blown fuse
  2. Carburetor - Airfilter connecting hose disconnection
  3. Faulty spark plug
  4. A faulty TCI (CDI) unit
  5. Faulty wiring kit

So, these are the issues. What is the solution then. I will explain one by one.

A blown fuse

This can be easily identified as the indicator, park light, brake lights will not lit up if the fuse is blown. If the lights are not working, open the tools box. You can find the fuse container. Please look into the image below.

DSC_0106 - Copy.JPG

Check the fuses. If the fuses are blown, replace them with the spare fuses. Also do not forget to buy a new set of fuses for spare.

Carburetor - Airfilter connecting hose disconnection

This issue can also be detected easily as there will be loud noise when the hose is disconnected. Also we can hear the sound of air while kicking. The hose will look like the image below (black).

DSC_0103.JPG

If the hose is disconnected, open the tools box. Pick the screw driver from the tools kit. Loosen the long screw connected to the hose. Place the hose correctly on the carburetor. Tighten the screw. Do not over tighten the screw as it will leads to the disconnection again.

Faulty spark plug

If the two issues are not found, next is to check the spark plug if it is not replaced nearly.

For the spark plug disassembly, open the tools box. take the tube spanner and the "L" rod. Pull the spark plug adapter using the screw driver. Then put the tube spanner on the plug and loosen the plug using the "L" rod.

You can find the help for reading the spark plug here

Check with a mechanic if you are not sure about the spark plug condition. If the plug is faulty, replace the plug.

A faulty TCI (CDI) unit

If the TCI unit is faulty, there will be no spark or irregular spark on the plug.

DSC_0106.JPG

To check that, pull the spark plug from the cylinder, insert it in the adapter and try to start the engine. If there is no spark in the plug, the issue may be with the TCI unit. You can check with another TCI unit, borrowing from any friend's bull. If that works, buy a new TCI unit. It costs about 900INR.

Please remove the cables from TCI unit carefully.

Faulty wiring kit

This is the most tricky fault. I cannot explain all the issues related to the wiring kit. I will explain the issue i experienced.

My bull used to turn off or showing missing while I turned the handle to the left. I was very confused on this and my mechanic found an issue in the wiring kit. If the engine is turning off specifically when the handle is turned, the issue may be with the low quality wiring kit in the >1L priced bike.

I have seen many people trying to crank the engine and looking for a mechanic around. Hope this will help them.

Re: DIY Solutions for Enfield UCE Starting Complaints

There are a bunch of non-petrol heads who are blessed with a heavy pocket to get these macho machines, but with their zero knowledge on basics / fundamentals they depend on the mechanics for such a small issues. I hope atleast a few could get benefit with your post.

BTW it's not something new to say about the quality of REs, do take care of your frame (painting / rusting) ASAP
0103.JPG

my friend has experienced one of the issues mentioned that is. engine gets turned off when the handle is rotated. i thought this was only for his bike, turns out this is a common fault. should this happen on such a costly bike with so much wait time.

Top Bottom