Bajaj To Revive Popular "Chetak" Scooter

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
bajaj-chetak-front.jpg

Friends,

BAJAJ, a name that needs no introduction in Indian 2-wheeler Industry has plans to revive it's famous 2-Wheeler Scooter i.e Chetak. Seeing the rising competition in the Scooter's segment BAJAJ is planning to showcase an All New Chetak Scooter in the next year's Auto Expo.

With popular brands like Vespa making a come-back, it will be nice to see how the once popular "Chetak" shall be a accepted by the market. Also, Bajaj's image in the motorcycle segment is quite strong with products like Pulsar, Discover et al. Thus, Being from Bajaj stable, lets wait and watch how "Chetak" gets benefited by the brand image.

News

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Re: BAJAJ To Revive Popular "Chetak" Scooter.

@Akash, man you are full of surprises ! I am still digesting the Luna relaunch news, you gave me another pleasant shock of Bajaj relaunching the legendary Chetak [:D] I think good old 80's and 90's are coming back !

While Bajaj has been known as a great bike manufacturer its quiet a dismal that they are not showing the scooter industry the amount of importance as it does for their bikes. The scooter segment in India is a far more tougher market than the bikes market and has quiet a stiff competition up here. Its a great news that the Chetak is again making a grand entry into the market and I hope that Bajaj does a careful R&D of the current situation of the market and produce the scooter accordingly to ensure that its a run away success. Also the pricing needs to be quiet VFM unlike the Vespa and with the amount of features all Bajaj offers this one might not be any different. Let's watch out for this space.

@Akash, man you are full of surprises ! I am still digesting the Luna relaunch news, you gave me another pleasant shock of Bajaj relaunching the legendary Chetak [:D] I think good old 80's and 90's are coming back !
I was about to say that. I really wish the manufactures revive those good old Yezdi, Rajdoot, contessas, 118NE and Premier padminis too.
As Luna and Chetak are on their way back I think more such rides will join their league and the day is not far we can spot people flaunting
the Elvis presley pompadour on their vintage rides on our roads [clap]. Good job akash.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@lame; I too feel that re-introducing old cars would be great but as we know old cars with new technology won't be profitable to the companies. Moreover; the expense to re-introduce a 2 wheeler and a 4 wheeler are poles apart buddy.[:)]

Regards

Akash

This can be done like how Volkswagen revived the Beetle in the "New wine in an old bottle" way[lol] (Old looks and modern engine & features). Its obvious that such cars won't be made as competitors for the likes of Maruti Swift (just meant a highly popular daily commute car, no brickbats please), but as a little high priced limited edition vehicles, not expecting sales in big numbers. Practically speaking I know it is going to remain as just a dream of many.

Last edited:
I hope Chetak comes in 2 variants, Manual geared and CVT type. Manual will give higher mileage, low cost and will sell well in rural areas and CVT, no need to explain! Best for city, ladies and comfort seekers.

Nice news Aakash.With the growing industry of scooter segment and with the success of vespa launch surely all two wheeler manufacturers are looking into this segment.
RSVB, i dont think bajaj would be thinking to launch it with both the options but as of now gearless scooter which seems tobe the demand of our market should be launched.

Bringing the Chetak back would be like bringing the padmini back it would fail. Today the competition is much stronger and hopefully will be even more so with the new launches.

Bringing the Chetak back would be like bringing the padmini back it would fail. Today the competition is much stronger and hopefully will be even more so with the new launches.
There is no confirm news of the same engine specs, same body frame and same scooter that bajaj had launched years back would be launched.
Its the name Chetak that would be used to relaunch in new avatar, new trim, shape engine specs everything with legacy of Chetak carried forward.
With the todays market scenario surely bajaj would study this before relaunching this scooter.IMO

How I wish it would be a fuel injected two stroke engined scooter. They have the GDI technology from orbital and it should not be difficult.

I hope Chetak comes in 2 variants, Manual geared and CVT type. Manual will give higher mileage, low cost and will sell well in rural areas and CVT, no need to explain! Best for city, ladies and comfort seekers.
If Bajaj launches the Chetak with a manual gearbox then there might be a fan following it like you told. They might be starting the trend again which was left behind long back and there might be a huge crowd for it. But the expenses and costs incurred eith it might be quiet high. So let's see how Bajaj takes on it.

Was the Manual Chetak very expensive?
At least, the technology of manual gearing is less complicated than CVT.

Was the Manual Chetak very expensive?
At least, the technology of manual gearing is less complicated than CVT.
Yep, I agree with you that Manual Chetak was not expensive. But if its the case that Bajaj is launching both the CVT and Manual production costs might go up. Both need some specific modifications like the brake lever for example. These small modifications at the end might push up costs.

Top Bottom