My 1939-40 Hercules Deluxe Bicycle: Restoration & Conversion To a Classic Roadster!

Thread Starter #1
Hey Guyz!
This time, I got hold of a bicycle used by my ancestors of ancestors.
Yeah!
I went to my grandma's home and I went to the store room what is there.
I saw all sorts of things like old cardboard boxes, old TV sets, etc etc.
And one thing I saw with a black colour cover on it. I removed it with fear.
There stood a bicycle named Hercules De-luxe ![:D]!
I asked my grandma about that and she said that the cycle came as a gift from a friend of my grandpa's dad. It was bought in 1939-1940 (bought on Jan 1 manufactured in 1939)

It was used till 1995 by my uncle (mom's brother) after which a Bajaj Spirit was bought and then the cycle was retired.

So, inspected the cycle.

To my [surprise], there was ony little rust.
Rims are good. Just a little servicing is enough for the rims.
Wheels are bent. Need to remove those bends.
Tyres are worn, tube is punctured and torn.
Paint was gone. Will repaint it to Glossy Black or the original Glossy Green![glasses]
Brakes are worn and the assembly itself need to be changed.
Will find more as it was only checked on top.

Planning to disassemble it and check all the parts in a month (yes, a school boy's life. parents will not allow me to got grandma's home myself withouth them as it is too faraway from my home).

Will post some snaps! And don't forget to give your suggestions too!!!

Re: My 1939-40 Hercules Deluxe Bicycle: Restoration & Conversion To a Classic Roadste

cool man so its like you bringing back its legacy.awesome, awaiting pics

Re: My 1939-40 Hercules Deluxe Bicycle: Restoration & Conversion To a Classic Roadste

All the very best for the restoration. Do post the snaps ASAP.
I hope this must the first bicycle restoration here, and a pretty old one too.

Thread Starter #4

Thank you all for your wishes!
I think now I can't source a good and working dynamo. All cycle spare parts shops say that the concept of dynamo is gone. They suggest me a battery light which I dont want!

Thread Starter #6

@incarnation
Thanks for the link but the stores that listed are in Delhi, Punjab, Harayana which I cant buy from there. Any E-Commerce shops?(Online shopping?)

hey dont worry give them a call they will ship it you wherever you are in india.check this otherwise
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/BICYCLE-DYNAMO-ASSEMBLY_144997012.html.
if this fails heres another link
http://www.tradeindia.com/suppliers/bicycle-dynamo.html
put in your request a guy from trade india team will call you and then he will forward you the nos of 2-3 suppliers whom you can contact and have them ship the part to you. else try this one.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/12v-6w-Vintage-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Generator-Dynamo-/180723310705

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

I want my old cycle to look like this stock English Roadster.
299435_0.jpg
This is a photo of Pashley 5 Speed 24.5" Limited Edition Roadster but I dont want that 24.5" wheels.
I want to know how to fit the drum brake as present on the Engish Roadster above.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

I think the only option is importing them.
I think you all know about the brakes of this cycle. It is worser even than the kids cycle.
Anyother brake setup compatible with this bicycle?

I think the only option is importing them.
Obviously YES.
I think you all know about the brakes of this cycle. It is worser even than the kids cycle.
Anyother brake setup compatible with this bicycle?
If you want a better braking with drum brake set-up, the only other option is a custom machined hub matching a bigger dia carrier plate from motorcycle.

I think bro,You can Install Front Discs from LA Soveriegn and NOT from BSA or Hercules.If you want,Try the Drum Setup without spoke from New TVS Excel.Please post some pictures so that I can have a better Idea of the Condition and Design man.Don't forget this Speedo-meter you told me bro.It would help you too.[;)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

Oops, project halted permanently![cry][cry][cry]

Top Bottom