Hero MotoCorp Hires BMW X7 Designer For its Motorcycles

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone !! Bharath Here.I got a news about Hero hiring BMW X7 Designer to design new bikes.

Here it goes :

The world’s largest two-wheeler manufacturer, Hero MotoCorp, is set to appoint a senior designer with German luxury car-maker BMW, Markus Braunsperger, as the head of its research and development division coming up at Kukas near Jaipur.

Braunsperger, 51, had a successful career at BMW spanning over 25 years that saw him design the company’s flagship sedans 5/6/7 series as well as SUVs X3, X5 and X7. He has also been incharge of R&D at BMW’s two-wheeler division Motorrad, which would help him when he takes office at Hero in October.

"He is the first expat appointed to head a division at Hero MotoCorp, and will spearhead the firm’s future product development initiatives,” a senior company official told HT. " The Rs. 500 crore R&D centre at Kukas is expected to be ready by the middle of next fiscal. It will have more than 600 engineers working on Hero’s future product line.”

Braunsperger’s appointment adds to the growing trend of Indian automobile firms hiring expats to head their research and development divisions in a bid to make cutting-edge products in sync with global markets. In 2010, Tata Motors had appointed former BMW R&D head Timothy Leverton as head of engineering and R&D for passenger cars, trucks and buses.

Last year, Hero itself had roped in another expat Markus Feichtner, an expert on engines technology, to head its newly-set up functionality called engine design & development. Feichtner was earlier executive director at Austrian firm AVL’s India technical centre at Gurgaon.

After its split with long time partner Honda Motor Corp of Japan in 2010, Hero has been working aggressively to beef up its in-house R&D capabilities. It has forged technology alliances with Erik Buell Racing (EBR) of the US, Engines Engineering of Italy and AVL. The company also holds 49.2% stake in EBR.
"The facility in Kukas will be an international centre of excellence, not just in terms of its design, development, testing and validation facilities but also in terms of the diversified pool of human talent from all over the world,” Hero MotoCorp managing director and CEO Pawan Munjal has said. “It will be a multi-cultural, multi-national set up."

Braunsperger’s appointment is likely to be followed up with more expats joining the team to enable the company design products not only for domestic but for global markets. Last August Hero had announced plans to enter 50 markets by the end of this decade with a target of 20 manufacturing units across the globe and an overall annual turnover of Rs. 60,000 crore.

Source-http://www.hindustantimes.com/business-news/man-who-designed-bmw-x7-to-create-hero-bikes/article1-1256025.aspx

My Point : But the thing I feel is,even if it design upgrade :biggrin: helps them,Pricing and decision (of category like 250cc or 150cc etc) will be the most crucial point where the Hero has become a Zero everytime.They don't have a Racing team where TVS (Started with Moped racing:50cc),Yamaha (R15),Bajaj (Not sure) and even Mahindra (Mojo) has their own.They don't have even a single engine developed by themselves.It was Honda and EBR who designed and made every engine for Hero.If it ain't honda or EBR how will a Hero Engine be so reliable even for a Splendor ?? :biggrin: Everything would have fallen apart in 20K Kms !! They have already lost to TVS.You all know the Apache RTR 180 was faster than the 220cc ZMR !! The RTR 180 ate ZMR for Breakfast when compared to Price (Features given at the Price point),Power to weight ratio and Looks (Way Better) !! Now that TVS-BMW will eat Hero as Breakfast and the Apache can go out smash that ZMR like a Bug !! and come Back (Shogun style !!).The have to come in the 250-350cc segment and build their own engine,Get a better R&D !! Thank you

Last edited:
Hero is a company which gives Honda bikes at lesser price, lesser maintanence costs an cheap(compared to Honda) spare parts.
See Stunner=Ignitor, Dream series=Passion XPro, Unicorn/Trigger=Hunk/Xtreme/Achiever, etc etc etc!
They have their R&D Facilities only in stickering part and they don't have their own in-house engine development R&D facility!!!
Even though the BMW designer designs it well, Hero will spoil it with weird stickers.
About Racing team, in the website, they have put that they support EBR in races. I dont know whether it is true or not.

@Mr. Bharat
You have caught a good news! A boy(me) younger than you appreciates you!!!

Last edited:
Bharath@

RTR 180 & ZMR are different segment bikes with different characterstics. Comparing both will be like comparing a Swift to a Nissan Sunny. Swift may be better in looks and initail performance, but Sunny is designed for a different purpose. ZMR is tourer and RTR is a commuter bike designed for city or you can tell a sports bike. Ride both in a highway for 100 kms to understand the difference.

Hero is a company which gives Honda bikes at lesser price, lesser maintanence costs an cheap(compared to Honda) spare parts.
See Stunner=Ignitor, Dream series=Passion XPro, Unicorn/Trigger=Hunk/Xtreme/Achiever, etc etc etc!
I would say Hero is a company which makes bikes with Honda designed engines.

There is not much differnce in Bike price and maintenance costs with Honda now.

Could you please give an example of spare part which is cheaper(in quality) you felt compared to honda you felt?

They have their R&D Facilities only in stickering part and they don't have their own in-house engine development R&D facility!!!
Even though the BMW designer designs it well, Hero will spoil it with weird stickers.
I agree on this, though as far as i know they designed S splendour/glamour engine with bigger bores from thier on splendour/passion engine(Honda technolgy).May be with the help of Honda or other companies.

About Racing team, in the website, they have put that they support EBR in races. I dont know whether it is true or not.
may be they are giving financial support!

Thread Starter #4
Ha ha ha,Well said bro.And please do me a favor by NOT calling me Mr.Bharath bro.We both are young with only 6-10 months difference bro !! Thank you

I would say Hero is a company which makes bikes with Honda designed engines.

There is not much differnce in Bike price and maintenance costs with Honda now.

Could you please give an example of spare part which is cheaper(in quality) you felt compared to honda you felt?
I don't felt cheap in quality. I felt somewhat a bit cheaper in cost than Honda.

Ha ha ha,Well said bro.And please do me a favor by NOT calling me Mr.Bharath bro.We both are young with only 6-10 months difference bro !! Thank you
Though you are 15, you are older than me. Ok. Can I call you anna? (brother)

there is no X7 suv so who is this mysterious designer?
Maybe coming in future[confused]

So, which bike is going to be designed by this X7 designer?
HX250R was already displayed at auto expo. Going to change the look?
Yes, I don't like its design.

Last edited:
Its dual headlights looks much ugly! Even uglier than the 2014 ZMR!! But I love the way the ZMR looks with DRLs ON above the indicators and with headlights on!
Look the feminine looking dual headlights of HX250R and the DRL pic of ZMR!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
People said the The Apache RTR 180 V2's Headlamp made it a failure.If the same people liked these headlamps,I would be damned !!! Thank you

Hero motocorp were just sittings and eating the fruit grown by honda. It was just like retail/rent business for them. Like you just set a shop get some things from distributor and sell it. Which they are very good at. Now as consumer has n number of choices in terms of technology, reliability and styling. Hero are trying to catch up. They tried to freshen up their product. They did that by asking their inhouse department to freshen up the product. Those idiots just designed some stickers and put them on bikes and put them in auto expo 2 years back. So hero tied up with EBR who only had experience in > 200c to design them some bikes. They designed HXR250

They are trying to sell a product and tech which is atleast 10 years old.
Let see how this baniya compay will do in R&D other than stickering.

TVS on other hand experiments a lot rather than refining. They lack refinment in engine so if they concentrate on that aspect than rolling out new things would do them good

Hero motocorp were just sittings and eating the fruit grown by honda. It was just like retail/rent business for them. Like you just set a shop get some things from distributor and sell it. Which they are very good at. Now as consumer has n number of choices in terms of technology, reliability and styling. Hero are trying to catch up. They tried to freshen up their product. They did that by asking their inhouse department to freshen up the product. Those idiots just designed some stickers and put them on bikes and put them in auto expo 2 years back. So hero tied up with EBR who only had experience in > 200c to design them some bikes. They designed HXR250

They are trying to sell a product and tech which is atleast 10 years old.
Let see how this baniya compay will do in R&D other than stickering.

TVS on other hand experiments a lot rather than refining. They lack refinment in engine so if they concentrate on that aspect than rolling out new things would do them good
Well said!
TVS too had refined engines. They had refined engine built by them and also had engines from Suzuki! Just they wanted the Apache RTR to be RAW and solid which is the liking of youths!!!
TVS is still confident and the TVS-BMW partnership will kill Hero-EBR partnership. TVS-BMW bikes will beat Hero-EBR bikes up and down!!

Thread Starter #15
Well said!
TVS too had refined engines. They had refined engine built by them and also had engines from Suzuki! Just they wanted the Apache RTR to be RAW and solid which is the liking of youths!!!
TVS is still confident and the TVS-BMW partnership will kill Hero-EBR partnership. TVS-BMW bikes will beat Hero-EBR bikes up and down!!
Well said bro.Tvs wanted Apache to remain raw ! I love the exhaust note of the RTR.Deep throaty roar.Much better than the Pulsar,R15,Karizhma.Tvs was both confident and they knew the reality.TVS-BMW will squash the Hero-Ebr like a bug.The apache Rtr 180 will definetly eat the Hx250r and spit it out of its Tail pipes.One thing Tvs has to do is bring in a Fuel injected RTR 180 ABS and and it will have the power to kill the Hx 250r.Look at their advertisements,Idiotic liars,The Hastur,Hx were designed by EBR.Hydrogen fuel cells,Hubless wheels and what not.They just dont know what is reality.If splendor wasnt there,Hero would have been bankrupt way before Daewoo.Thank you

Top Bottom