Brought Home a Bajaj Avenger DTSI 220

Thread Starter #1
Mates,

today i bought a new bajaj avenger dtsi 220.

i had given up riding 2 wheelers 14 years back when i surrendered my freedom ( got married ) before that i had ridden Lamdretta scooter, bajaj super scooter suzuki samurai and yamah rx 100 extensively.i never had a major crash with any of them. after marriage my wifey wanted me to give up biking and we bought a 4 wheeler ( indica V2 ) but recently i chanced upon few bike logues and i was hooked hook line and sinker.[:)] have a peek at the most impressive ones ( hope some body will also get hooked [evil] )

Quit our jobs, sold our home, riding around the world!!! - BCMTouring

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/13574-lehd-ride-roof-world.html

Dream >> Explore >> Discover .. .. .. .. Ladakh & Zanskar => June 2014 - BCMTouring

My Journey to Leh - BCMTouring

xFlo | xBhp.com - India's Most Popular Motorcycling/Biker's Community | India's First Motorcycling Biking Lifestyle Magazine

then there was some body in our forum to whom i had broached the thought of buying a 2 wheeler- AR Rami ji. he stoked the ember in me slowly into a raging fire by frequently calling me up and discussing the beautiful bike logues i had messaged him.[;)]

next i had to get the approval of the finance minister. it was the finance ministry that had cancelled even the thought of 2 wheelers. became a very loving husband and father ( not that i was not so before ). first i got the kids to my side . they wanted a bike very much and voted for me. cajoled wifey and finally she had to succumb to my persuasion. but one condition she out forward - will have to take me along on all trips. i would have given my foot for a bike and i agreed. the final yes was got when we were in a jewellery when she wanted some thing very badly i brought up the bike and she finally gave the green signal. i immediately rang up ramji and conveyed the good news, partly to prevent her from going back on her words.

the next part was which bike to buy ?????? well i am a guy with touring on roads as an obsession though no much touring now a days due to the compulsions of life.(papa never made big money so that we could live off his earnings and hence have to work for a living.) hence cruiser bikes were only considered royal enfield thunder bird and bajaj avenger dtsi 220.

i had never been a fan of bullet mainly because it was a tall bike and i am only 163 cms tall. my friend had recently bought a bullet classic and i test drove it. was impressed by its riding comfort but it was a bit heavy for me. if ever it leaned to the side i would need some body's help to right it.so bullet was ticked off. also avenger had long ago gotten into my heart ( nearly 4 years ago ) and had test droven it. in fact i almost bought it that time but finance officer vehemently vetoed it. so it was avenger dtsi 220 with all its shortcomings.also after seeing the Arnold schwarzeneger movie TERMINATOR who wouldn't want to have a cruiser bike.

From where to buy -

there are many number of bajaj showrooms around where i live. but i have a friend who owns a bajaj show room which was about 40 kms away, rang him up and asked him about it. his reply was do you want it today ? i was surprised [surprise]was he pulling my leg. i told him i didn't have the cash to which he told me who asked for money you can have the loan approved in 5 minutes flat.and he could deliver the bike on my door step. wow!!! i was impressed. so the e bike was delivered to my friends garage from where the snaps were taken, from where i drove it to my home at payangadi 3 days later. will have it registered next week.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Sooth Rider you have made a perfect selection. I also own the same model and have been to ladakh, this is best ride for long drives as the seat is very comfortable. I woul like to share one tip with you especially for this bike. This bike dosent have a kick so if the bike is not operated for long time ( 20 days or more ) the battery gets drained up and the bike dosent start so you have to push the bike and start So my advicewould be drive it atleast once a week.

Congrats!!!
I too had a chance to test this bike during my hunt, low seat height and disapproval of F.O. (finance officer) forced me out of it.
wishing you both many happy miles.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@smooth_rider
Congratulations Sir on your ride.
Indeed Bajaj Avenger is a great cruiser bike, one of my favorites.
I have driven it 2 times in college and have been a fan ever since.
Even I had the same problem, my finance ministry cum home affairs ministry aka parents, disapproved it [cry], but then convinced them into approving a 4-wheeler :biggrin:.

Wishing you million miles and trillion smiles ahead! Happy motoring!

Thread Starter #10
thanks amg,ramji, breeze aka brio,saroya, konkan trip,kannan,surfer, nick 1188.
yes ramji polishing my riding skills first. next we will have a looong ride together[;)].
konkan trip thanks for the tip. will use him as much as possible to avoid battery drain.

thanks amg,ramji, breeze aka brio,saroya, konkan trip,kannan,surfer, nick 1188.
yes ramji polishing my riding skills first. next we will have a looong ride together[;)].
konkan trip thanks for the tip. will use him as much as possible to avoid battery drain.
SR,Thinking of going for avenger as my bullet idea is not materializing. Vehicle available with the dealer. Before taking the plunge help me out on any surprises .Since the vehicle have been with you for last two weeks any special advice ? I think its raining heavily in your area and it becomes difficult to ride much ,still request your input. My height is 5 '11.

Thread Starter #12
you are right gen.max its raining heavily here so not much riding but yesterday i had a ride in heavy rain and i went back to my younger days when riding in rain was a passion. regarding the bike iam starting to love the bike. i hadn't ridden a bike continuously for long time and initially i was uncomfortable with ride comfort, but its getting better as iam getting used to it. on good roads the bike seems to be very good but in not so smooth roads its a bet uncomfortable. the rear shocks gives a thud even in small potholes. they say that the shock has different settings and can be adjusted, will have it done during the first service. the rear brake is a drum brake and not very effective to my liking. since iam only 163 cms tall iam very much comfortable with the riding posture. on long rides i don't know how i will fare as i haven't had a long ride. the low saddle is a boon for me as i can reach down with my foot very easily.( today i sat on the pulsar 220 dtsi and my foot barely touched the ground.) the rear seat is narrow and is not comfortable for the pillion. will have to have the seat refurbished for any long tour with a pillion rider.i just touched 70 kmph for a short stretch today the bike seems to be stable but i feel the maximum speed in comfort will be only up to 80 - 90 kmph. i would suggest that you have a test ride before the plunge. i had the number plates fixed today.

Last edited:
Whenever I see a new motorcycle thread I have to literally bite my own hand in order to stop me from going out and getting one for myself.

Nice one there Rajeev. Never knew there's another Schwarzenegger in Payangadi [;)].

Nice colour too. Avenger is one of those rare motorcycles that look good in all colours that they're offered in.

Run it in properly and this machine will last you for many years. Take care during rains to avoid rust. Put grease on chromed parts when parked for a long time.

The rear suspension travel is very less due to the ride height of the motorcycle and so the pillion is never comfortable on bad/undulating roads. Its fine otherwise.

The Avenger looks big but is somewhat cramped for someone above 5'10".

Take care and ride safe. Read the owner's manual carefully. Remember to clean and lubricate the drive chain as often as you could.

Meanwhile I bite my hand once again. Ouch! Damn[frustration].

Thread Starter #14
first service done from my friends ass at alakode in kannur. 1nr 500 for the engine oil. 350 kms done. post service the bike has become more smooth. the gear shifting has improve but still finding neutral is very difficult when the engine is running.

Top Bottom