Why Did the Apache RTR Facelift Failed??

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guyz.I am a Die-Real-Hard fan of TVS Bikes.Just because they introduced with many firsts to India.Like the TVS-Suzuki Shogun-First bike with Cat Con,TVS Victor-First bike to run on 20 kmph in top gear without knocking,TVS Apache RTR Series-First bike to have Roto-Petal Disc brakes,TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS - Cheapest bike ever available to have ABS and first in it's segment etc. Maybe there are More too !!! [;)]

BUT,I did have a question about the latest Facelift version of the Apache RTR Series.WHY IT WAS CALLED A FLOP IN THE MARKET ??

Why I asked this question is that I am 15 now and I am looking forward to buy one after 3 years (Will a 200cc-300cc apache be available buy 2017 ?? )

Why I support It ??

1) Now looking much more sportier

b.jpg

2) IMHO,The Angry looking Headlamps are light years ahead of the Sad looking
Previous one

a.jpg

c.jpg

3) Engine note is THE BEST !!

Thank you

To answer in simple words, "Demand vs Supply Gap"
Market expects something more / different than what is being supplied with Apache RTR. Don't ask me what exactly is it, I don't have the answer right now. To be frank, never bothered to research on the same.

Will keep a close watch to understand the reality.

Even I love RTR for its performance and sporty seating posture and had one (RTR 160) for more than 1.5 years and I simply love each and every bit of it.

One more point to note is, those days when RTR was launched there were not too many competitors (major being Pulsar, Xtreme, Unicorn) and today 150cc segment is flooded with a lot of competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Sure Mr.Boss.Thank you for your valuable Answer sir !! I think the Vibrations is the one of the biggest letdown of the bike right sir ?? I've travelled in n RTR 180 V1 and @ 5-6K RPM,It vibrates like hell !! Thank you

Thread Starter #5
> Dated product
> Unexciting brand
> Competition

Vibrations are pretty manageable though.
Thank you Mr.Sam.Many people say the RTR 180 is anyday better than the Pulsar 180.TVS Guys alsoheard about the dated looks thingy and brought the V2.Unexciting brand -Whoa !! That hurt.IMHO TVS is a good brand and better than of Hero Motocorp.Competetion- In price or cc sir ?? I think in 180cc segment,There is only Pulsar 180 right ?? and under a lakh (as the RTR180ABS costs around 90K Onroad) There is the 200 NS,Pulsar 180,Karizhma R.The 200 NS and the Karizma are faster and has more power.Please correct me if I am wrong.Thank you

TVS as solo brand never excites me and I always feel RTR is missing some thing what Pulsar/CBZ managed to do in that section.

The best bike in 150cc was TVS Fiero and I guess they should not have killed this. Same complain I have with Hero, who completely changed Old CBZ into some thing, may be success of Pulsar forced to do so. Till date in 150cc the best bike I found was 1st model of CBZ.

As a brand also, I do not adore it a lot. How come they come up different version of Stars so frequently.

In traffic, if you hear a high volume engine misfire sound then 90% chances that it is TVS Victor.

Thread Starter #7
Thank you Mr.Ertiga ZMR.Yeah TVS Victor has very high Engine Misfires.I ve seen one too.They had to stop the Fiero as it was originally Suzuki.Yeah the CBZ 1rst model was looking better than the new one.I seriously admit Quality has gone down a bit after splitup with Honda.Can you say what is it missing in the Apache RTR ??

Are you 15 years old?

Why it failed? It has been clearly explained by Mr.Boss Helmets off to him!
The new model impresses the youth but not old/mature riders. It is very sporty as you said!
See our Indian youths want Outright acceleration, Good Handling, Good brand name, Extreme Value For Money. They always want pulsar. Even though its look is old, they want to impress their friend with the brand of bike they are owning. TVS are always known for their bad quality of bikes in the past (No offence to anyone) for reasons like rust, twisting chassis even a small accident, etc which made them to fail. But I love Apache RTR 180 very very much! Their quality has been rocketed even Bajaj and Hero motocorp behind them! Have you seen the news " TVS Pushes Bajaj to 4th slot in Domestic Market "? TVS Doesn't have a good brand name in the past. They maybe cautious from the time partnering with Suzuki!

Last edited:
Why I asked this question is that I am 15 now and I am looking forward to buy one after 3 years (Will a 200cc-300cc apache be available buy 2017 ?? )
Brother, 3 year is really long time and in this competition age many new products will be lined up, you can start thinking for new bike at age of 17.6 and 6 months would be enough to decide based on the current market.
Coming to Apache, what I do not like :

1: I feel this is not in correct proportion, the first batch of Apache looked like having very small wheelbase (distance between center of two wheels).
2: Too much stickers job.
3: It does not have macho look of Pulsar/CBZ.

I do not have riding experience on this but it never appealed me when I was looking for bikes in 150cc categories in 2005/2006.

It is good to have enthusiasm and awareness and I suggest to keep it up. I will not give lesson that you should not ride at this age or spend time on study. My only suggestion, do whatever but never compromise on study.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, I asked the question that you are 15 years old because I too in the same boat but 1 year younger than you[thumbsup]
My passion has started from age 6! I started driving my Kinetic from 7 years and my splendor from 9 years old!
Now taking my Splendor to school by saying my dad that i am taking my Kinetic!
Thanks for the kind words ERTIGA_ZMR!

Coming to the topic: I don't think that new Apache is a failure atleast here in TN.
They are catching up like fire here as youths here wanted a stylish bike.
The last models of hyper-edge has came with lesser vibrations which was on fire sale!
The revamped look is good but the eye-brows are not bright enough, the bikni fairing rattles, the rear tends to be scratched by other bikes Ex: Parking slots, Bumper-to-Bumper Traffic, etc.

Thread Starter #11
Hey RSVB, I thought I am the youngest guy in TAI anyway I got a Partner !! As a Young TAI ger,I myself took an oath never to to touch a Motor Vehicle without licence.In chennai,Apache facelift is doing good but still almost everyone tells it is a flop model.I just can't understand what it misses out with Pulsar,Karizma.I used to tell about cars from the age of 5 and I started to do some stunts in my cycle lateron.There is a TVS Dealer near our house and I used to bunk my tution to just see the Monster.TVS should have concentrated on Vibes and Quality at sone places (Mirrors,Exhaust Pipe).Exhauat pipe of the rtr is known for Rust.I started to shout at the dealer when I saw rust at the exhaust on a Brand new RTR160.People gathered around and that bike was never sold !!.I still remember that day !! Thank you

Apache RTR facelift is much better than the older version. It was not just the facelift but the driver and pillion seats were redesigned. The sales figure shows that it has good market reputation.

Apache 160 was not able to beat its competitor Pulsar 150, CBZ xtreme, Unicorn. But still the sale was quite good. Since TVS launch RTR with the spirit that it has a racing DNA and blah blah blah... This made most audience that Apache is made young bike enthusiastic. If they would have promoted 180ABS as a safest bike in the segment, they sales count would have been better.
But still Apache 180 is good bike than 160 even if the difference is only in the engine specs and so the sale of both is head to head.

If TVS would have promoted it in some better way, it would have beaten Bajaj in this segment.

^^ BTW where you checked the sales figure of Apache? I would like to know the monthly sales status of bikes like our monhly car sales thread.

What i seen is these TVS bikes are mostly selling in TN and AP only. Things are very different in Kerala. TVS dealers are really strugling here

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
My home town is PKD mr.releesh and yeah it is really difficult to see Apaches.It is true that Apache RTR 180 is doing good and the RTR 160 Struggles to beat Hunk,Pulsar 150.The Engine is from Old Feiro which is Reworked and Fine tuned for Apache.It actually bought massive Improvement. The CC is same for the RTR 160 and the RTR 180 is the same engine but Overbored with bigger Carbs.Yes they did NOT promote the RTR 180 ABS in Safety,They just were intrested with performance.I did check the Sales figure of Apache from the dealer i told and he says sales are very dull.I read everywhere about the RTR Facelift and everyone commented 'It is looking Ugly','It is a Failure' etc.Even I asked people outside and they too said the same.I have sat in the V1 Apache RTR 160 and wasn't that comfy.You are sure to get back-pain after a 100 KM Ride.I dunno about the Reworked Seats.I will surely give it a try.The TVS XL,Star city,Phoenix sells like Rs.10 Hot Cake.Apache is only Struggling now.Thank you

^^ BTW where you checked the sales figure of Apache? I would like to know the monthly sales status of bikes like our monhly car sales thread.

What i seen is these TVS bikes are mostly selling in TN and AP only. Things are very different in Kerala. TVS dealers are really strugling here
My friend Chandrashekar Tayade is working is TVS as Regional Sales Manager in Pune. He told me the sales figure, when I debated while purchasing my new bike FZ16 or Apache RTR180ABS.

Top Bottom