Black Birdie Vespa S

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

This ownership thread for Vespa S (Birdie), I will try give updates gradually.

Before Vespa:

We had one most reliable scooter i.e. none other than Honda Activa. I still say Honda is the best in terms of smooth and niggle free engine. Only sad point was it shocker, which will easily pass the effect to your back-bone. Most suitably for short ride on smooth road and carrying loads of groceries. Before getting car, it was our trusty companion to get groceries, home fitting, and decors as you all know after marriage 1st 6 months to 1 year how much shopping required. In all occasion, it helped us very well.
Date of purchase: 20-Dec-2010 (after 3 months of waiting)
Parted away – 22-Jun-2014.

Problem faced so far:
1: Lost pickup after running 18K KMs. Got the V-belt and many clutch part replaced.

Major drawback:
1: Bad service quality if I compare with Hero ( Sri Chandu Motor) vs. Honda Dealers like Ananada/Saphire Honda. Both of Honda dealers are no where close to service quality provided by Hero Motors Corps. Honda service center even bother to do proper cleaning, they cannot fix the problem in one go, rather they ask please ride and let us know if certain issue is there. And believe me all the reported issue used to present.
2: Flimsy body part : You can get rattling sound.
3: Strictly for short ride.
4: Not so good in pickup ( this is expected from 110cc).

P.S : We still have one Honda Activa at home town and dad is also planning to upgrade. Since his need is for 200KM at max per month, so I will suggest him to go for Activa –I.

What persuaded me to go for Vespa:

It’s global image, all steel body, telescopic shocker, 3 Valve 125 CC engine were enough to decide.

Buying experience:

It was one of the best buying experience when I compared to all previous bike’s purchase ( Bajaj Caliber –Kamath Motor Manipal, Pulsar- Amba Bajaj Bangalore, Activa – Saphire Honda Bangalore,Karizma ZMR (2 Numbers) – Sri Chandu Motor Bangalore.List is long if I include purchase made by dad in Patna)

I sold Activa on Sunday-22 June2014 around 8 PM for 36K. I sent a text message to Mr. Amit around 8.30 PM about interest in getting Vespa S on priority, spoke to him at 10 PM.
Next morning, he sent the price list and other details.We visited showroom on 23 June in evening and paid 60K advance.Next morning he personally came to my office to collect remaining 38K.
By Wednesday all formalities done and we have got it. The showroom is little small but cozy, they have good set of recliner sofa for customer comfort and we have been offered much needed tea/coffee .

By 7.30 PM, we have got it and my wife rode it from showroom to home and she instantly felt in love for it shock absorber, riding ergonomics, look, pickup, headlight etc. She found every thing in this which were missing in Activa. Ofcourse it should have as it is almost close to 1 Lakh.

Ownership experience:

I have personally driven it for close to 300 KM and believe me it is no less than any good commuter bike.

You will feel the same good initial punch and engine performs very well at all speed. Handling is the best , you can maneuver in any corner because of it’s short turning radius and you can almost take 75 degree turn.
In traffic jam, you can maneuver between two cars even if there is small space which I could not able to do in ZMR or Activa.

Nothing to mention about it’s suspension, it is equivalent to nitro suspension of Pulsar. Pick is good, and with fraction of time you can achieve 0-40 which is good for city traffic.

I have same feeling when I upgraded from 150cc bike to 223cc bike if compared with Activa Vs Vespa. It is not as silent as Activa but super silent at high speed and it does not lose it breathing at higher speed. I have not explored the max speed as engine is new, let’s wait for 1st 1000km.

Till now, I have got mileage close to 40-45 KMPL, which is fairly good for new bike. After1st service and oil change, I guess it can touch to 50-55KMPL in Bangalore.

Service duration is after each 3000 KM and oil change only after 6000KM.

What I miss:
1: Fully digital console, it should have been introduced into this as the price is at higher side.
2: MPFI instead of carburetor fuel system.

Since Vespa has projected it as life style vehicle so it would not be nice purchase if you do compare with new Honda Activa 125/Suzuki Access/Yamaha etc. This is not a VFM product but sort of little luxury.

Please feel free to ask any query, I will give an unbiased opinion :)

Time for some pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Yes, I read that Vespa has some agreement with Tourism dept of Amsterdam. They provide Vespa on rental to tourist. Many of the celebrities in Europe and US own Vespa and Vespa had good legacy with Hollywood :)

Its just a hydraulic single side arm with anti dive, and not a telescopic suspension. So much for 'heritage'. Works pretty well though.

Nice colour. People have a hard time picking up from orange, white, and this matte black.

Rs. One lakh for a 125cc scooter. And you were telling me that your company doesn't pay much:biggrin:.

The seat lock will get stuck one day. There are several Vespa Forums on the internet that will tell you how to open a stuck seat on a LX 125. Please start practicing immediately.

Enjoy and post more snaps.

p.s.: What happened to the motorcycle plans?

Thread Starter #7
Its just a hydraulic single side arm with anti dive, and not a telescopic suspension. So much for 'heritage'. Works pretty well though.

Nice colour. People have a hard time picking up from orange, white, and this matte black.

Rs. One lakh for a 125cc scooter. And you were telling me that your company doesn't pay much:biggrin:.

The seat lock will get stuck one day. There are several Vespa Forums on the internet that will tell you how to open a stuck seat on a LX 125. Please start practicing immediately.

Enjoy and post more snaps.

p.s.: What happened to the motorcycle plans?
Motor Cycle plan is halted fully at least till next year Jan. I am still okay with ZMR, it still has it own charm. I still say, my company does not pay much. I will send you a PM about my Company and you can do a research at Glassdoor.

Congratulations on your new acquisition .
Vespa is driving on its image and they are stretching it too hard when they sell a scooter for near to a lakh.I am not in favour of this scooter only because of the pricing. Somehow I feel Vespa don't want an image as a mass market seller . Another aspect is that the time may be ripening for power scooters in India. Chances of others coming with power scooters in this range is also bright now .Waiting for your review in the long term.

Thread Starter #11
Till now driven around 500 KM in 11 days and loving it.After getting Vespa, I did not started my ZMR so rude to be with 1st love.

Vespa is very easy to maneuver and I feel it is the best and now I do not find it pricey :)

@ZMR

Good to hear about that Vespa is special and different from other scooters, but some how it is little difficult to digest and buy at Rs.1L[:)] for a middle class person in India as he will think of buying a M800 seconds in that price.

Thread Starter #13
@ZMR

Good to hear about that Vespa is special and different from other scooters, but some how it is little difficult to digest and buy at Rs.1L[:)] for a middle class person in India as he will think of buying a M800 seconds in that price.
Yes Sir, but now a days in India, middle class people started living life may be because this is era of credit card and getting income at age of 21 years or more earning members in family. We do spend 50K on I-Phone or other gadgets which go outdated in an year.

If you compare it with Activa 125 which is almost close to 71K then price is not a huge setup considering 3 valve and Single piece monococque steel body. Have a ride in busy congested road as well as ring road or some bad roads, it handles very well in same situation.

I am not boasting about it but it is comparative review what I have experienced with reliable Activa.

Here is brochure :

http://www.vespa.in/pdf/vespa features new.pdf

and review by bike guru : Dilip Bam Sir.

Vespa VX125 Report from Team bikeguru - DilipBam.com

Last edited:
Bit late to this thread,congrats for buying Vespa S Alok Sir.I love the Matte Black shade in Vespa.BTW,what is the FE of Vespa?Asking because I would be buying for myself in few months and I had a ride on my friend's 2012 Vespa LX125 in yellow colour,which has done just 7500 Km in 2 years and it is lighter than our Access 125,which we are using right now.

Thread Starter #15
Bit late to this thread,congrats for buying Vespa S Alok Sir.I love the Matte Black shade in Vespa.BTW,what is the FE of Vespa?Asking because I would be buying for myself in few months and I had a ride on my friend's 2012 Vespa LX125 in yellow colour,which has done just 7500 Km in 2 years and it is lighter than our Access 125,which we are using right now.
Thanks bro, I have not measured exact FE but it is somewhere around 45-50 KMPL. Yes it has very nice and light drive if compared with any other two wheeler.
The riding ergonomics is superb and you will not feel issue for relatively long ride in city.

Birdie has been serviced after running running 840 KMs. After servicing , it is smoother and now I can do some fun ride.

Total bill amount : close to 2800
Detail :
Oil + other consumable : 450
Windshield : 1800
Foot Mat : 550

I will post the new pics very soon.

Top Bottom