Inputs For Restoration of Royal Enfield Bullet (1985)

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
I need some inputs for the restoration of my bike RE Bullet 1985.
Planning to get it repainted,chromed and some repairs. As I ride the bike around 6000 km in a year and the bike is parked for almost 6-8 months. I am using this bike from 6 yrs.
Information that i need is.

1.Cost of repainting and chrome?

2. Type of paint that is used?

3. Good paint shop or mechanic who can get the job done in bangalore.

About repairs.
1. I can hear some noise from the head,the rocker assembly and valve guide is of new electra type , mechanic is suggesting to change that to gunmetal material, bike has done 5k km after changing the valve and rocker assembly .so m having second thoughts about it.

2. Any good mechanic in Bangalore? I have changed 4 mechanics in 5 yrs.

3. Bike is giving a mileage around 25 km and i have to top up oil of 0.5 liters with in 3000km. Is it normal?

Regards,
Ajeeth

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Cost of repainting and chrome?
Rs 12000.
2. Type of paint that is used?
Du Pont 2K.
3. Good paint shop or mechanic who can get the job done in Bangalore.
Go to Shivajinagar.
1. I can hear some noise from the head,the rocker assembly and valve guide is of new electra type , mechanic is suggesting to change that to gunmetal material, bike has done 5k km after changing the valve and rocker assembly .so m having second thoughts about it.
Mechanic is an idiot. What is gunmetal material?
2. Any good mechanic in Bangalore? I have changed 4 mechanics in 5 yrs.
Many good mechanics in Bangalore. Riaz (9242104151); Jaffer (9880200120); Venugopal (9945693999)
3. Bike is giving a mileage around 25 km and i have to top up oil of 0.5 liters with in 3000km. Is it normal?
CI Royal Enfields do drink oil but this is not normal.

Thread Starter #3
thank you sam,
will give a call to the above mentioned mechanics and find who is close to my area(indiranagar)

address of painter in shivajinagar?? will help a lot.

regards
ajeeth.

Hi,
Before starting you Painting and chrome, kindly workout all the mechanical issues whatever you have in the bike. Once its done, ride for around 500 kms to check whether everything is perfect.
Once confirmed, then you can proceed for the painting and other cosmetic changes. It will be painful to do the mechanical/engine related work after the painting and chrome.

Thread Starter #5
thank you ambylovers,
will take the bike to mechanic this weekend.

regards
ajeeth

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
hi guys,
gave my bike to mechanic today to sort out some minor issues.
he changed 2 small chains inside the clutch plate and alternator box, and gave the head for lathe work(to fix new valves and guide)
about the paint job-now m confused as the engine needs to be dismantled for buffing and m not happy with that as engine has run around 6000km after new bore and pistons wer fitted.
body paint is in very poor condition.and engine looks dull.

so my doubt here is is there any other option of painting the body and engine (lik matte finish/power coating).
does it require to dismantle engine for painting the engine?vl there be any issues in painting the engine lik paint peeling off or improper cooling of engine?
does it reqiure to dismantle the engine for painting the body (matte finish)?

regards
ajeeth

Yes I have a 1987 model. My dad purchased it and I drive it since 2005. It was repaint and chromed. Engine has to be opened up for long lasting results. I changed the original silencer last month as it was rusted. I have gone for stock silencer. I get an average fe of 35km/l in city. I needed better brake efficiency, so I added disc brakes. I also had to change the electric circuits to 12v system. The original was 6v system. It was very had to get batteries and light accessories for 6v. Now I find it trouble free.

Top Bottom