Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350: Unconditional Love

Thread Starter #1
INTRODUCTION

This will be my 1st ever post on any such forums, so sorry for some unusual mistakes
Since my childhood, I was more of a 4-wheeler guy. I was never ever fascinated to ride a 2wheeler. As usual car freak, i learned driving cars before bikes.

So this 18th Birthday

Dad comes to my room & says:
DAD: Just imagine, you are suppose to own a 2wheeler which one will you pick?
ME: I would rather go in for a car, Dad!& you know that
DAD: I ain't offering you a bike as such, just tell what 'll be your choice.
ME: Something like Apache RTR [confused]
DAD: Then you must try your hands on a "RE". You haven't really lived the world of 2wheelers.

So this b'day i got a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 Twilight on december 23rd.

INITIAL EXPERIENCE- NIGHTMARE

My Initial experience was quite horrible one could imagine. Brand new bike worth 150k -throwing umpteen issues

niggling issues goes on
  • Rattling Fuel Tank
  • Fading Rear brake
  • Misaligned mud guard
  • Engine oil leak
  • Reluctant gear box
  • Engine knocking
  • Starting problem

Just after the delivery, i took the bike to the showroom next day to get the knocking sound and gearbox check, to my surprise those idiots said -"everything is alright it's your new bike and these thing are common"
I decided to ride till 500kms to check on the further issues.

Bad days begins now

After odd 100km bike showed up a dramatic problem- she refused to shift 4th to 3rd, press the clutch full-push the gear lever= No change!
I couldn't even feel the gear lever anymore, it just sets to a free motion. Keep on ramming the gear then it might shift to 3rd but then again same story goes for 3rd to 2nd shift.
That means I am suppose to hover around the city with only 3rd &2nd gear in use

SAGA CONTINUES
Next morning i saw oil patches on my garage, yupp my a week old bike is leaking oil.
Then she developed a Rattling noise down the fuel tank past 2,300RPM. very Loud infact.

During this period I took the bike to service center for 7 times within a month. After the fix she would do a fine job,say for 3-4 days and then same story repeats. engaged in many quarrels with workshop guys, resulted no-nothing. I was just wasting my time
I was exhausted, told my dad I just wanna get rid of this piece of crap.

He then decided to raise the voice against the Manufacturer.
Inspired from Skoda horror stories
For next few days we just spent time on mailing senior officials of RE, posting negative feedback on social media and on every possible networks.

Guys this worked- I got calls from the Territorial officer RE, Manager of Indian motors.
They took the matter seriously this time and guys my golden days starts after the second servicing(I must say the manager of Indian motors Mr.Raj is a wonderful guy)

Love story begins here
God is this magic or something? every single issue of my bike has been sorted out, she rides on her dreams.

I got the silencer changed to those Thumped ones, specially loud.
Now driving her on Roads of Raipur with the corona halogen lamps on(All the time) makes me feel special, seriously this bike generates numerous head turns,though most of them are towards headlight. she has got such a beautiful art on the front- deserves it.
You must know Raipur is city of "CLASSICs", you can easily spot classic in every street, So this is an advantage to TB owners here- to look different in crowd.
And Since the bike has done 3.6k on odo means she's out of running-in period[clap]
I usually don't like to rev the engines but this one makes me to do so-specially for the thump, driving @2000rpm-pull the throttle hard Man she Screams!
i just love this moment.

I observed a fact- In past i have usually driven cd delux & pulsar(150), accelerating at high speeds makes them easily out of breath on the highways
But when it comes to Bullu ( i named my Thunderbird[embarass]) drive her at 80kmph, gradually pull the throttle and she will sound like those of pulsar &delux
BUT pull the throttle hard, man she pulls like a beast seriously ,not with a punch though but enough to put a long lasting grin in you face

Most important question- KITNA DETI HAI?
Initially i didn't believed my eyes but she has a PHENOMENAL MILEAGE OF 40KMPL. A bike with 350cc engine with so sweet fuel efficiency-steals the deal!
On-Road price was 1.40lakh & with miscellaneous stuffs +silencer its almost 1.5lakh now &she's worth the price tag.

Now i understood- what Dad meant to say

Thanks Dad for such a wonderful gift, now i can say- you haven't lived until you owned one

Guys this was my 1st post ever so i apologize for my mistakes & do reply friends

POSTING FEW PICS

Attachments

Last edited:
THUNDERBIRD 350- UNCONDITIONAL L0Ve

Hi Awirsh. Heartiest congratulations on your Thunderbird 350! 'Bullu' is a very nice nickname for the bike.

I have never owned an RE but I had got one chance of travelling (smooth tarmac for ~80 kms) in a Thunderbird. For my thin posture and not-so-good physique, I did feel some pain while maneouvering the bike and making high-speed lane changes, but one thing that struck my heart was the Comfort level; I was almost ready for the trip home after a continuous ride of 80 kms! The stares and attention you seek while riding a classic bike (and that too, an RE) is priceless!

Hope the bike does not give you any trouble as it did in the initial days! Nice to hear that your problems were resolved when you took the topic at the media level. Congrats, for this and once again, for Bullu!

Do complete your ownership review by posting in detail about each aspect (braking, handling, maintenance, cleaning, service costs, ride, touring ability, electricals and more) seperately. Always wear a helmet. Ride safe!

Punto8090.

Thread Starter #3
Re: THUNDERBIRD 350- UNCONDITIONAL L0Ve

Hi Awirsh. Heartiest congratulations on your Thunderbird 350! 'Bullu' is a very nice nickname for the bike.

I have never owned an RE but I had got one chance of travelling (smooth tarmac for ~80 kms) in a Thunderbird. For my thin posture and not-so-good physique, I did feel some pain while maneouvering the bike and making high-speed lane changes, but one thing that struck my heart was the Comfort level; I was almost ready for the trip home after a continuous ride of 80 kms! The stares and attention you seek while riding a classic bike (and that too, an RE) is priceless!

Hope the bike does not give you any trouble as it did in the initial days! Nice to hear that your problems were resolved when you took the topic at the media level. Congrats, for this and once again, for Bullu!

Do complete your ownership review by posting in detail about each aspect (braking, handling, maintenance, cleaning, service costs, ride, touring ability, electricals and more) seperately. Always wear a helmet. Ride safe!

Punto8090.
Thanks for the warm reply Friend.
Let me tell you i am too a "Thin Framed" guy and initially i had the exact pain while maneouveuring the bike in the city, but once you start spending time on wheels- everything feels butter smooth.

I will definitely try to keep the post as updated as possible.

Hi Awirsh,
Congratulations on your New Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350cc.
If you get used to this bike, you will soon realise the pleasure of riding. Sitting posture is great and different too..

Congratulation Buddy,
I have never seen anybody has changed to any other bike after riding RE. So keep revving hard but within safe zone.

Thread Starter #6
Heartiest thanks to amit1km & ambylovers and yes i have to admit that riding position is SPOT-ON in TB, i do have back problem but so far my back never acted up.
& Guys i just wanted to know a thing- does every RE has kinda stiff gear shift?

Heartiest thanks to amit1km & ambylovers and yes i have to admit that riding position is SPOT-ON in TB, i do have back problem but so far my back never acted up.
& Guys i just wanted to know a thing- does every RE has kinda stiff gear shift?
Hi,
No..My Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 is not like that. Adjust the Clutch and check once. Initially for me i too faced the same issue. I could not able to brinf to Neutral very fluently. After the Clutch adjustment, it was butter smooth.

How about the Cam sound. Whether you are facing any engine sound in your bike after continous riding for more than 30 or 40 kms.
Sound will be like putting a bolt inside a glass bottle.

Thread Starter #8
Yeah cam sound is still there but not as loud as it use to be earlier, it settled to nice hum after the servicing.
&Today morning i observed while riding bike over 70kmph, silencer continuously vibrates L-R , does yours?
Hey have you checked topspeed of your bike?

Nice review I must say your dad is a real entusiast. not every dad is so genrous to gift his son such a wonderful gift on his 18th birthday.[;)]. Keep posting and happy miles. do plan a Leh Ladakh and a bhutan trip you have got the best machine for doing it.

Bullu!! [lol]:lol!:

Nice name[clap].

Awirsh, good that you have developed a liking for the Thunderbird. I cant help but remember these lines by Bijoy Kumar Y of Business Standard Motoring: "....and when the lust is lost and love translates to care, you will go a long way with a Royal Enfield."

And Since the bike has done 3.6k on odo means she's out of running-in period I usually don't like to rev the engines but this one makes me to do so-specially for the thump, driving @2000rpm-pull the throttle hard Man she Screams!
I must say your narration tells me that you are not treating the engine the way it should be treated - 3600 kms on the odo does not mean that the motorcycle is ready to be ripped - progressive running in is what this engine requires else you shall run the risk of a very angry and siezed piston.

Take care of the morotcycle and the morotcycle shall take care of you.

All the best and keep this thread updated.

Regards,
Sam

Thread Starter #12
Nice review I must say your dad is a real entusiast. not every dad is so genrous to gift his son such a wonderful gift on his 18th birthday.[;)]. Keep posting and happy miles. do plan a Leh Ladakh and a bhutan trip you have got the best machine for doing it.
Thanks konkantrip for such inspiring words. And for sure leh ladakh is on my card soon. The only problem would be- seeking permission, my mom usually don't like these ideas of long trips BUT the solution stays herein theautomotiveindia forum, i will introduce 'em to travelogue section, Hope this work(fingers crossed).

And yeah my Dad is real enthusiast, he has done some crazy trips in his Rajdoot & Tvs victor,in past.

Sam dinkar ,thanks for your vital response of reminding me that my engine is still new.
now onwards I will surely take exxtra care of rev limit, after all this will be my ride like- forever.

And lines by Mr. Bijoy kumar ,just hit my strings, very true & thoughtful .

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review Awirsh. Even we own a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 in Plain Black Colour. Luckily, we have no issues with our bike and have even installed a loud silencer on the bike. The stock silencer was not doing justice to the bike. The pickup is fabulous however being a 500cc I am dissapointed with the FE of the bike.

Top Bottom