Avenger Unused for 1.5 Year: Cost of Repairing?

Thread Starter #1
Hi

Due to no travel requirement, I had not touched my bike Avenger from past 1.5 yrs. As some of you may know, Avenger is a bike that must be used everyday or else its battery will die down.
I bought it in 2010 and used it frequently although not for long distances. It gave issues in winters and especially if I didnt use it everyday.

Now after 1.5 yrs, its battery is totally gone.

I need to know how much cost it will take to get full maintenance and battery replacement? And what all needs to be replaced/repaired generally.

1.5 years hibernation is nothing. Please do the following:

1. Wash the Avenger and clean it thoroughly.

2. Change the engine oil, gearbox oil, clutch oil, front brake oil, air filter, engine oil filter, and front suspension oil.

3. Adjust, clean and lubricate the drive chain.

4. Fill up the tyres to the correct air pressure.

5. Lubricate the throttle, brake, and clutch cables/pedals, side stand. Change any cables that are frayed.

6. Get a new battery (Rs. 1600).

7. Check the wheel spokes (front and rear) - tighten them if they are loose.

8. Check the functioning of all bulbs and replace if necessary.

9. Clean/replace the spark plug (Rs.80).

10. The clutch would be sticky due to non use - pull the clutch and roll the Avenger for some distance to free up the clutch before you crank the motorcycle.

That's it, you're good to go. Ride the Avenger and feel like God :biggrin:

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Sam
I got the battery replaced and sent it to Bagga Link. They called me up and said that excluding oil change etc, the carburetor had to be replaced as the oil was leaking everywhere (i saw it too). Also, he said that the tank was corroded from the inside so needs to be replaced.

I got the general tune up, carburetor change, got tank cleaned up (no replacement yet), etc. and that ended up costing me 5683 bucks.

The ride is fine now. But the motorcycle didnt start once while I was waiting at red light (it started after a couple of tries), and Im just scared if the tank is actually corroded.

I dont know whether to get it checked at a local repair shop. Heard phosphoric acid or other tank cleaners work perfectly but that needs dismantling the whole tank and checking the corrosion and I dont know if local repair shop is capable of it.

Thanks Sam
I got the battery replaced and sent it to Bagga Link. They called me up and said that excluding oil change etc, the carburetor had to be replaced as the oil was leaking everywhere (i saw it too). Also, he said that the tank was corroded from the inside so needs to be replaced.

I got the general tune up, carburetor change, got tank cleaned up (no replacement yet), etc. and that ended up costing me 5683 bucks.

The ride is fine now. But the motorcycle didnt start once while I was waiting at red light (it started after a couple of tries), and Im just scared if the tank is actually corroded.

I dont know whether to get it checked at a local repair shop. Heard phosphoric acid or other tank cleaners work perfectly but that needs dismantling the whole tank and checking the corrosion and I dont know if local repair shop is capable of it.
You can go to Karol Bagh I have heard it a good mechnaics. You can show them the bike and I am sure they will do some JUGAAD. Also If you have insurance you can get it replaced.

Most jugaad methods of treating rust inside the tank do not work in the long run. The starting problem may have been because of several reasons and one of them may well have been that pieces of rust had blocked fuel flow to the carb.

If you plan to keep the motorcycle for a long time then it'd be a good idea to get a new tank.

I dont think there was any need to change the carburettor. Traces of oil are normal on any motorcycle that has been left untouched for 1.5 years.

Rs. 5683[surprise][surprise][surprise]!!!!!?????? Did they gold-plate your Avenger? Please scan the bill and post it here.

Thread Starter #6
2500 for carburetor
1500 for cleaning the tank
1000 for petrol T
choke was also changed. Oil change, spark plug, tuneup etc.

Just adding some useful info to this thread. My friend recently bought a used bike in such condition. It was a Yamaha FZ, not used for around 1.5 years. The owner went abroad and his father wasnt used to driving a bike. So it was left as it.

My friend bought it and took it to a mechanic. He just cleaned the tank and other parts needed to be cleaned as petrol caused rust in the tank.
The mechanic said he cleaned it with thinner and the total charge was around Rs. 500

My friend is riding the bike without any problems so far.

Top Bottom