Royal Enfield Continental GT Review

Thread Starter #1
I entered the showroom that is located near Uppal Ring road, Hyderabad I could see a good number of people in the showroom who either already booked a bike or came to book one of the ones on the display, of all the ones present there they were either Interested in Classic or the Electra, few in Standard & few in the new Thunderbird, however I could clearly gauge that many of whom some young lads included didn’t show much Interest in Continental GT, my perception might be incorrect as well....

After those quick observations I asked a guy that I would like to do a test ride of the Conti GT he said please wait & he disappeared to the workshop. I went around the showroom a bit although I saw the Conti GT is being showcased however did not venture to that area just yet, I was surprised to see the Bullet 500 (Carb) on sale since I previously had info that the model is not in sale in Hyderabad. I went to check out the Bullet 500 and then some of the merchandise in the showroom which are a bit on the expensive side.

I finally made my way to the Conti GT which is showcased on a stage kind of area and mounted on a rear wheel stand. My first impressions the motorcycle is definitely a looker & will turn heads where ever one goes. I hesitated to takes pics but then asked a fellow of the showroom if I could click some. I clicked the pics of the important areas of the motorcycle; I observed few things about the motorcycle which were unique only to this motorcycle & no other in the RE stable. I would illustrate with Pics below however first the let me start with the pic of the Motorcycle itself. I found the console is nicely done along with all the instruments placed nicely in the Tachometer. The speedometer is nicely showing both the KMPH & MPH numbers, it also has a small digital console that shows the mileage and also has the option to set trip meter along with a reset button in between the consoles.

12874963314_f90f640803_b.jpg

12875002094_36d1586ec3_b.jpg

To my utter disbelie RE has roped in the premium brand when it comes to tyres & who else better than Pirelli for a motorcycle that is being shipped to International markets as well.

12874635083_cd5dfebafc_b.jpg

Now this was somewhat expected however from my point of view I did not think RE would rope in Brembo the most trusted brand for motorcycle disc brakes to be the supplier for RE rather than the Indian version called “Bybre” which is the supplier for Pulsar 200NS. There is a catch here & it does seem to me that the disc brake from Brembo will fit to other motorcycles as well & that include my CI Electra 5S.

12874655153_ca30e9f109_b.jpg

The rear disc is you guessed it Brembo as well & caliper mounted on the swing arm the whole set up looks pretty neat and clean

12874995594_7a5a8ac26a_b.jpg

Now the chain sprocket is different setup all together than what we have been seeing although no comparison can be made here, however this is different and more like mounted on to the hub with bolts in place. This would mean easy to change the chain sprocket...

12874985024_526870e41b_b.jpg

12874631163_42abacf111_b.jpg

This beauty has a beasty engine sitting below with displacement of 535CC with power of 29.1 BHP & 44nm Torque at 4000RPM....

The Ride:

Finally I got hold of another person there and told him dude I came here to do test ride of Conti GT.. he asked for my licence and noted down the details & once that was done, he took out the keys & his helmet as well & took the bike out and parked it for me, I guess he however changed his mind & gave me the bike to ride by myself... (He never knew I ride an RE day in & day out although I went there on a Old gen Thunderbird with UCE) he took a pic of mine saying I need to send this to the company that we gave you this bike for test ride, I told him I’d be posting a kind of review on a forum.

So I put my helmet back on & get ready to ride out, sitting upright without holding the handlebar I felt good, however the comfort level somewhat dropped the minute I held the handle bar but the bike felt a little less heavier than others. I eased the gear into first gear, I tried to leave clutch like till half so that I could move the bike however it didn’t budge then leaving the clutch almost fully it finally moved & I felt again the comfort level dropping a little further more for me (please bear in mind I ride an Electra CI so I can be biased). It took me a minute to get used to the areas of brake and gear level. I could see the pickup was good at 20 then 30, 40 upto 4th gear however when I shifted to 5th gear at 40 the bike jerked a bit and couldn’t pull at the low RPM (didn’t observe the RPM meter was concentrating on Speedo). I came to a “U” turn and there I first encountered the first issue that might cause problems to the users, the rear brake level is too close to comfort to the Kick start rod & the bend pipe (silencer pipe) I was wearing sandals and I was struggling a bit to use the rear brake as my sandal was touching the kick rod nicely restricting movement & it also touched the bend pipe a few times (I could see the chrome worn off on it already).

I took the “U” turn and immediately gave it throttle and the bike roared however the thump of Bullet is definitely missing and there is no comparison here either to the Classic, however to describe it sounds like R15 on with Two Brothers. Pickup was excellent however there was very high sound coming from the engine might be that of rockers or the tappets that need to be set properly on the test ride bike, issue might be confined to the test bike. The bike stayed planted on the road than doing a wheelie of sorts at the sudden burst of power. As I said earlier the bike struggles to pull at lower RPM does alright till 4th gear at 40KMPH and changed the gear to 5th when on 40KMPH it jerked a bit and couldn’t gain speed there, I revved it up to 50KMPH and changed to 5th then the bike didn’t give the jerks and moved ahead smoothly. I tried adjusting myself on the seat by going back a bit to see how much of the seat I could occupy and still hold on to the handle bar. I felt moving back would need a change of stance & lean more on to the tank & a bit difficult for a person who not used to such kind of riding. However Conti GT can have a pillion along on a city ride and needs to be tested for that as well.

If you are someone who knows how to handle a bike well then Conti would be easy for that person, I was able to change lanes without much of a fuss from the bike however I did find the bike was kind of pulling to the right & felt a pressure on the hand. I checked it in a bit of a traffic it performed well in mild to dense traffic however it’s advisable to downshift in traffic to avoid stalling the bike. Saw a bit of open road ahead of me & gave it a good rev it was able to climb to 80 very quickly, even with the Sports gear shift given I did not face much of a problem with shifting gears the clutch play was smooth and to my liking as well. I only had to count once to make sure I was in the right gear in the traffic to check the low torque performance. The throttle of the bike is quite responsive to please you whatever way you may want to rev it.

Overall in terms of riding comfort I would say overtime it would put a lot of strain on the lower back, shoulders & the wrists. I could feel the weight of my upper body falling somewhat on my shoulders and a lot of it on my wrists. This bike was designed keeping in mind those who like to do racing and this is not at all for touring for long distances. For a city ride or on Race track this motorcycle would do a lot of good for those whose love to ride such motorcycles however this one would be difficult to ride on a highway for a longer period of time.

Pros:

Great Looks
Peppy Engine
Good for small cruise
Can be a very good competitor on a race track.

Cons:

Riding comfort is not great, ergonomic issues might crop up over time.
While using rear brake the shoe can get stuck under the kick rod and also touches the silencer.
Less pickup at low RPM

2nd Test ride - RE Bullet 500 (Carb)

Now this test ride is of the RE Bullet 500 with Carb, as soon as I got down from the GT I asked if there is Test ride of Bullet 500 is available? The sales rep quickly got the keys, I went to the bike and only then I observed that it has a bigger tank which looks to be 18 ltrs however it’s in fact 13.5 ltrs. The visible difference is the lumbar support provided for the pillion. I started the bike with the Self start since I know using the kick is easier on the new engines. Put in first gear and tried to move out once again I found that bike doesn’t move till I leave the clutch almost fully. I found the stance a lot relaxed & the handle is lot wider on this bike. Gear shifting is smooth maybe because the bike must have already run in, it was quite responsive to the acceleration I did at my whim.... overall I was impressed with this bike, I could easily relate to this motorcycle. Finally I would say this would need a getting used to a bit due to the wider handle and somewhat backward seating posture. If anyone is looking to buying a new bike from RE I would say it should be the Bullet 500 with Carb. Although I have no bias against the other, its only my personal preference with the carb & the option of customizing power delivery and mileage as you like.

12874530535_ea54a1e2eb_b.jpg

A shoddy job done & not painting the chrome on the silencer after it was cut, this is on the display model and not on the final product.

12874623273_2254a139fd_b.jpg

12874539445_b8e13b4ac2_b.jpg

12874541205_1b9fb99da1_b.jpg

12874546625_8599edc78b_b.jpg

12874548625_29554afebc_b.jpg

12874563995_50db1c2838_b.jpg

12874570745_96e655d67d_b.jpg

12874573075_ab331c55e4_b.jpg

12874576005_90737e1494_b.jpg

12874643895_ebe593ba98_b.jpg

12874653943_6b08f762b6_b.jpg

12874662913_1b055837b7_b.jpg

12874664693_baab6707e1_b.jpg

12874669973_433b15712d_b.jpg

12874974714_15540e695c_b.jpg

12874975174_87f314c577_b.jpg

12874977064_46ba17bcac_b.jpg

12875003384_c853285b4c_b.jpg

12875010734_732a70d4a1_b.jpg

12875011334_c7a278a28c_b.jpg

12875012304_db31a4690c_b.jpg

12875076294_2829f8525e_b.jpg

This is my first review and I am not sure how many would get a good understanding about the GT, I apologize beforehand if any shortcomings on my part and not covering everything or this review not being up to the standards one would expect it to be. I have tried to be as genuine as possible with my views on the Continental GT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: RE Continental GT Review

Hi,
Test Ride Bikes were never maintained in good conditions. We all know people ride in their own way during their Test ride. But atleast weekly once they should wash and adjust the bike for further test ride process. I have seen Thunderbird 350 in Hosur Showroom and in Coimbatore Showroom. In both places, its really not even maintained from the Start.
Young guys working in the showroom are ready with their execuses about the condition of the bike. But no where they are ready to do a service for that bike.
As of my observations on the Test Ride Vehicles in Royal Enfield showrooms were treated very cruel by the showroom guys.

Hey EnfieldRyder, that was such a honest piece of writing. Kudos!

I don't know why it is so but the Continental GT doesn't appeal to me at any level. Probably it's the styling that comes across as too much of a mish mash for me, or maybe it's something else; but I don't see myself blowing two lakh rupees on this one, at least not now.

Nice close up snaps. I am disappointed with quality of welds - just look at the welds on the swingarm.

Why are the wheels and spokes not shining? Is it something other than shiny chrome on them (matte finish?) or has it got something to do with the lighting when you clicked the pictures?

What about the ride comfort? Heard Paioli shocks are too stiff for comfort?

Well it's not exactly a CI 350 heavy crank engine so you can't expect it to pull in 4th/5th gear from 40kmph. Needs to be revved, this one.

Who says Royal Enfield has not kept up with the times - just look at the bar coding on the crankcase:lol!:.

I could see some oil leak under the right side crankcase behind and beneath the kick starter lever. So it all seems familiar[lol].

Oh, and did you ask the on road price of both motorcycles?

For me, it'd be the 500 Carb anyday over the Continental GT.

Please share some more experiences of both motorcycles. Thanks for posting this review[thumbsup].

Last edited:
I love the look of this. Cafe racer is my thing. May be its the cult appeal of the cafe racer that dopes me.

I think the welds are supposed to look so. As cafe racers were DIY things in the 60s. So shoddy welds, Iffy fitting seats and racing bike styling is all acceptable. Cafe racer should look shoddy. [;)]

Why are the wheels and spokes not shining? Is it something other than shiny chrome on them (matte finish?) or has it got something to do with the lighting when you clicked the pictures?
They are made of Aluminium. This bike does have some advanced stuff, but being from RE's factory, it has all the the typical RE genes in it. I think, many of us know and accept the niggles of any RE bike, but the looks, fit and and finish, perfection can not be compromised. RE knows this but still it can't deliver what its die hard fans want.

Thread Starter #7

Sam sorry for delay, lately I haven't been coming on the forum as much as I wish I could. my responses are in bold below.

Hey EnfieldRyder, that was such a honest piece of writing. Kudos!

I don't know why it is so but the Continental GT doesn't appeal to me at any level. Probably it's the styling that comes across as too much of a mish mash for me, or maybe it's something else; but I don't see myself blowing two lakh rupees on this one, at least not now.

Nice close up snaps. I am disappointed with quality of welds - just look at the welds on the swingarm.

The Continental GT gets Alloy Wheels with spokes & it looks the rims are powder coated with dull grey paint?

What about the ride comfort? Heard Paioli shocks are too stiff for comfort?

Since this was a short 4KM ride, the ride comfort was OK, I would not say great, did not get a chance to test the bike on a off road. However I had problem with adjust myself on the seat, if one is sitting farther from the tank then you really need to bend and adjust before you ride out and for anyone who is not used to that position will face difficulty.

Well it's not exactly a CI 350 heavy crank engine so you can't expect it to pull in 4th/5th gear from 40kmph. Needs to be revved, this one.

I agree on that part I had to downshift all the time when I wanted to move ahead in the traffic

Who says Royal Enfield has not kept up with the times - just look at the bar coding on the crankcase:lol!:.

I could see some oil leak under the right side crankcase behind and beneath the kick starter lever. So it all seems familiar[lol].

I have not observed this however with Royal Enfield that can be surely expected

Oh, and did you ask the on road price of both motorcycles?

The OTR for Continental GT in Hyd is 2.01 lakhs & for Bullet 500 its 1.62 lakhs (don't remember if its 1.82L or 1.62L)

For me, it'd be the 500 Carb anyday over the Continental GT.

Please share some more experiences of both motorcycles. Thanks for posting this review[thumbsup].

I have not really gotten and opportunity to ride a Bullet 500 carb until I saw that at the showroom, in terms of comfort & being noticed on the road I would say both the bikes would be able to do that, however head to head performance its really a matter of a person how he rides the bikes and understand it well.

Coffee Date - Royal Enfield Continental GT Test Ride

Coffee date

There have been plenty of reviews on the Continental GT, but let’s test ride the Enfield with an alternative perspective.

Ah, the undying café racer. Every one wishes to own one, few attempt and fewer do. It isn’t a segment that allows compromise. It isn’t about a low-set handlebar, a long tank and a rounded seat. It is about the attitude that the rider carries within him embodied by a motorcycle that says we aren’t two; we are together.
2014-Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-Cafe-Racer2.jpg

For example, the folks at Hero Motors, none of whom have obviously understood this segment, exemplify this misinterpretation with a mockery of a café racer that they hope shall “celebrate singlehood”. Other than promoting ‘awkward-hood’ at traffic signals, there is little the Splendour Pro Classic achieves.

However, we are here to crush pretentions and test the seemingly honest-to-ego Continental GT. The Enfield in real-life seduces you far more than its retroactive, soul-stirring advertising based on English roads ever could. If she is beautiful, it isn’t your fault to expect her to perform before you let her ride – metaphorically speaking of course. Unfortunately, that’s what happened. Somewhere between the drawing board and the end consumer riding the motorcycle, Royal Enfield Motors faltered. They went to press about Terblanche joining them, claimed something about the GT doing the Ton on their website, and promised it was their fastest product ever. It did neither of the latter two, and we are awaiting the designer’s Franco-Indian perspective.
2014-Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-Cafe-Racer4_Fotor.jpg

Let’s start with the good news though: The GT is beautiful. Quite easily the best looking bike in its segment and price bracket. The lines, in profile, are excellent and so are the proportions. The long tank, the thin seat and smaller wheels, add to the charisma of the café racer. The forward stance due to the lower bars and upswept exhaust, gives it the attitude of an era passed. Focusing on just two colours is a great idea, red being true to lineage, however the Picasso at REM was probably in a chirpy mood when he decided both had to be vibrant. How they decided that black was a bad choice is beyond the scope of this review.

To throw away the old adage of “this much is enough” and equip the GT with floating discs may not have been easy for the manufacturer, but that is the most amazing part on this bike. Even the Paioli rear shocks on the GT are second. Incidentally, why in the world would you place those shocks upside-down? No international motorcycle manufacturer, leave alone the shock makers, would ever place the suspension with the unsprung weight being more than the sprung weight. It’s a bit foolish because you’ve just spent a fortune lightening the unsprung load with aluminium Excel rims. Those who haven’t noticed this please invert the rear shocks the right way up – and no it won’t leak.
2014-Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-Cafe-Racer6.jpg

The bike that was tested was a well-used dealer demo with over 24,000kms. So whatever is reviewed has this fact considered. If anything, the state at which the bike was is a testament to its endurance. Cold starts were easy as long as you don’t blip the throttle and no choke was required thanks to the EFI. Front brakes performed like they were new, while the rear performed the feather-duty fine. To emphasise, the front 300mm Brembos are actually a tad better than the non-floating 320s on the Triumph Bonneville. There isn’t ABS, but men not boys ride these. The clutch is superlight on the UCE motor compared to the light-oil unit on the older three-piece motor. This tester could be ridden easily with just two fingers, although it was adjusted with late bite. The gearshifts were only positive on the upshift, while downshifts weren’t. The internal lever-play was large enough that you could unconsciously still be midway after dropping one gear, only to realise on the consecutive downshift that you hadn’t fully released the lever. So basically a Bullet newbie would shift thrice for two downshifts since he’d be used to the short-throw of other bikes.

The bars were perfectly positioned, and the bar-seat-peg triangle couldn’t have been better. Compared to the Standard 500, the GT has an additional 18-degree forward lean but the hip-angle is exactly the same at 74 degrees. The knee-angle is of course closer by 13 degrees for the GT. It doesn’t take too much effort to ride the bike in traffic or crowded streets, and the usual complaints centre around people who use their arms to hold up their body as opposed to sharing the load with their backs too.
Much of the sales that we have seen are going towards the vain – they don’t really want to ride it they just want to be seen riding it. India has never had café racers, only uptight machismos. The Bullet owners think they are the target audience and supposedly 90 per cent of them buy the GT. Enfield should focus on getting the middle-aged non-Bullet rider to taste a thumper. This mismatch has resulted in barely ridden bikes being sold at lower prices than an equivalent condition Bullet 350. It's obvious that the stock pile-up will reach Enfield’s delivery doors soon. Apparently they are focusing on the export market.

However, the actual performance is where the decision to buy the bike should be made. And it disappoints in that regard. One can expect the defense-response of how the CR needs to be 8.5 not any higher because the fuel is poor, or that you could blow a hole in the piston and forged pistons are too expensive. Sorry, that reason isn’t good enough when a CBR250 just whizzes by you. Neither is the GT their fastest product because a heavier Thunderbird 500 with a large windscreen and just a free-flow exhaust overtakes you with what seems like a good 4hp more. With a speedo indicated top speed of 130kmph on the GT, we had one 1997 Enfield Machismo that we modified – and not too radically – happily touched that mark too. And that old model was a 350. So, what’s with a 535cc top-power-product moniker, we fail to grasp. With Enfield’s subtle claim of the Magic Ton being as deceitful as a smiling tiger (we are talking the same Ton hopefully), you have to plan corners well ahead.
Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 13.08.40.png

When you approach a curve, accelerate as hard as you possibly can and pray nothing gets in the way. Or else accelerating through the bend is a vacation – at leisure you may watch children play or the chaiwala briskly pour one out. If you want power from this thumper, keep a lakh ready in addition, and you can get 40 per cent more juice – good enough.
Sigh... Yet she has a hold over you. The fact that for the similar price you could buy a KTM RC390 that’s 20 years ahead, does little to impress your alter-ego. What’s interesting is that the KTM owner would admire your GT, while you wouldn’t be bothered about his or anyone else’s. So should you buy one? Well, here forgiveness is freedom. Let go the expectation’s you’ve had when you first saw the lady in red. She only disappoints you, but doesn’t fail. You will love her in a few hundred kilometers, and more importantly she will love you back.
Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-535-1.jpg

Last edited:
Royal Enfield Continental GT Owners prospective review

Hey guys check our owners prospective video review of the RE continental gt we made in collaboration with camcon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IhaPE7_KUE

The review contains a review of the bike. Owners perspective on the bike, and also the customization that the club members have done on their machines. cheers guys

Now this was somewhat expected however from my point of view I did not think RE would rope in Brembo the most trusted brand for motorcycle disc brakes to be the supplier for RE rather than the Indian version called “Bybre” which is the supplier for Pulsar 200NS. There is a catch here & it does seem to me that the disc brake from Brembo will fit to other motorcycles as well & that include my CI Electra 5S.

The rear disc is you guessed it Brembo as well & caliper mounted on the swing arm the whole set up looks pretty neat and clean
The rear disks are Bybre (subsidiary of Brembo earlier known as KBX).

This beauty has a beasty engine sitting below with displacement of 535CC with power of 29.1 BHP & 44nm Torque at 4000RPM....
Has anyone tried boring out this block and fitting a bigger piston? If yes which one and how much is the new displacement?

Overall in terms of riding comfort I would say overtime it would put a lot of strain on the lower back, shoulders & the wrists. I could feel the weight of my upper body falling somewhat on my shoulders and a lot of it on my wrists. This bike was designed keeping in mind those who like to do racing and this is not at all for touring for long distances. For a city ride or on Race track this motorcycle would do a lot of good for those whose love to ride such motorcycles however this one would be difficult to ride on a highway for a longer period of time.
The solution to this is in Deville's thread. He has used the KTM risers and handlebars in place of the clip ons.

If anyone is looking to buying a new bike from RE I would say it should be the Bullet 500 with Carb. Although I have no bias against the other, its only my personal preference with the carb & the option of customizing power delivery and mileage as you like.
My personal preference would be the modern EFI. Anyway with BS4 the new STD 500 comes with EFI now.

Top Bottom