Royal Enfield's Continental GT is Here in India

Thread Starter #1
Royal Enfield has finally launched the highly anticipated Continental GT in India [clap] with an on-road price of Rs 2.05 lakh on-road Delhi and Rs 2.14 lakh on-road Mumbai. We saw the Continental GT first as a Café Racer concept at the Indian Auto Expo in January 2012.

Speaking at the launch, Siddhartha Lal, Managing Director and CEO, Eicher Motors Limited (the parent company of Royal Enfield) said, “As the world re-awakens to the sound of modern café racers, Royal Enfield is bringing back an icon that introduces the spirit of one of the most popular motorcycling cultures in history with the Continental GT – the lightest, fastest and most powerful Royal Enfield in production.”

The new RE flagship will be sold in two colours, red and yellow only. Powering the Continental GT will be a single cylinder air cooled 535cc engine delivering 29PS of power and 44Nm of peak torque and will come mated to a five-speed gearbox. RE has developed the chassis in collaboration with UK based Harris performance. The front suspension has 41mm telescopic forks while the rear has Paioli twin gas-charged shock absorbers. The bike is shod with Pirelli Sport Demon tyres and brembo brakes.

conti640x480_560x420.jpg

The Continental GT is manufactured at the company’s plant in Oragadam near Chennai. The company is expanding its manufacturing capacity to 2.5 lakh units by 2014.

Sources: Royal Enfield Continental GT launched in India at Rs 2.05 lakh| ZigWheels.com

cf_gallery_11.jpg

royalenfield-continental-GT-gallery-image-5.jpg

royalenfield-continental-GT-gallery-image-6.jpg

royalenfield-continental-GT-gallery-image-9.jpg

royalenfield-continental-GT-gallery-image-3.jpg

royalenfield-continental-GT-gallery-image-4.jpg

Engine Specification

TypeSingle Cylinder, 4 stroke, Air cooled
Displacement535 cc
Bore x stroke87mm x 90mm
Compression Ratio8.5:1
Maximum Power29.1 bhp (21.4 kW) @ 5100 rpm
Maximum Torque44 Nm @ 4000 rpm
Ignition SystemDigital Electronic Ignition
ClutchWet, multi-plate
Gearbox5 Speed Constant Mesh
LubricationWet sump
Engine Oil15 W 50 API, SL Grade JASO MA
Fuel SupplyKeihin Electronic Fuel Injection
Air CleanerPaper Element
Engine StartElectric & Kick

Dimensions

Wheelbase 1360 mm
Ground Clearance140 mm
Length2060 mm
Width760mm ( Without Mirrors)
Height1070mm ( Without Mirrors)
Seat Height800 mm
Kerb Weight-(90% Fuel+Oil)184 Kgs
Fuel Tank Capacity13.5 Ltrs

Brake & Tyres

Front Tyre100/90-18, 56 H Pirelli Sport Demon
Rear Tyre130/70-18, 63 H Pirelli Sport Demon
Front BrakeBrembo 300mm Floating disc, 2-Piston floating caliper
Rear Brake240mm Disc, Single piston floating caliper

Sources: Continental GT | Royal Enfield Motorcycle

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for sharing bReeze. But some how i liked the design of Bullet/thunderbird over continental-gt. Also is it single seater bike?
2 seater does come as an accessory. I loved the retro design of GT. Thunderbird/Classic is a different design altogether n lovely in their own league. [:)]

Yet to check GT in flesh. The TD vehicle would be available in a 2-3 weeks only is what the showroom guy had informed last week.

I some how find its a design inspired by from Yamaha RD-350.

But I am very sure will not have the same punch like 350.

rd350-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@konkantrip,

Well, actually a lot of Japanese bikes were inspired form British bikes of the time. RD is one of those. Actually RoyalEnfield was the first company to bring this cafe racer look into the production bike back then (60s). And it was called the Continental GT.

The new Continental GT is a tribute to the old one and shamelessly inspired from it.

Last weekend, I visited to the RE Brand store to collect my Thunderbird RC and saw the Continental GT on display. I met the sales person and was talking about the GT. Then he offered me a test ride, which I can't refuse. [;)]

I would say this bike's details (quality, fit and finish) is way better than other REs. I hope they will follow the suit for all models. Because I personally feel TB's are now closer to it.
Since the bike I rode had already done 5k kms, I thought it will have all niggles and vibrations. But it was not, I didn't feel much of vibrations. May be they would have had a proper service.

The power was good and the handling was awesome. I liked the brakes especially, off-course they are from Brembo. May be we can consider upgrading to Brembos for Thunderbirds and Classics. But he said the front calipers and pistons costs 12k. [frustration]

The riding position is little awkward (thats how the cafe racers used to be), but the seating comfort was good. Hope the people who have used and liked the super-bike models, will definitely like this bike. But this bike may not be comfortable in long rides, especially where there is no good tarmac.

The gear shift was very smooth and it felt like 2 stroker. The downshift was responsive.

The silencer sound when in idle was good, but the sound was not good when you revv it up. I didn't feel any thump. May be it was designed like that.

The bike costs 2.09L on road in Chennai.

To sum it up,
Pros:
1. Good Handling
2. Nice power and pick up
3. Awesome brakes
4. Good fit and finish
5. Good street rider

Cons:
1. Silencer sound not as expected
2. Price is on the high side

All the above comments are of my personal opinion. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Yesterday I did a test drive and I really liked the silencer sound. This is without vibration

Only gripe is I have to bend more (more than R15 or CBR) which was really tough

Is it possible to raise handle bar to make it more commuterish?

Yesterday I did a test drive and I really liked the silencer sound. This is without vibration

Only gripe is I have to bend more (more than R15 or CBR) which was really tough

Is it possible to raise handle bar to make it more commuterish?
I don't think you can raise the handle bar. May be you can change the handle bar, but it might affect the ergonomics of the bike.

Thanks for the post, Its really a tribute to see the Bike...
I am personally a fan of the Thunderbird series. But this is awesome too.............

Top Bottom