Installing a Cyclocomp on Your Motorcycle

Thread Starter #1
About 2 yrs ago, I successfully installed a Cyclocomputer on my Motorcycle. I posted about it in a Motorcycling forum and thought of sharing it with you guys at TAI.

Cyclocomputer: A cyclocomputer or cyclometer (obs.) is a device mounted on a bicycle that calculates and displays trip information, similar to the instruments in the dashboard of a car. The computer with display, or head unit, usually is attached to the handlebar for easy viewing.
Wikilink: Cyclocomputer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Purpose: My Motorcycle doesn't have a inbuilt clock on the instrument panel so thought of this idea[:D]

Here's a CTRL-C/CTRL-V of the post:

While Riding, have you ever missed a clock on your Bike's console?
Riding with gears makes it even more difficult even if you wear a watch
on your wrist.

Though a few Bikes comes with an onboard clock, thats only a handful.

For those who have not came across a Cyclocomp, its a digital device with small dimensions(1"x1" for the smallest ones) which work on magnetic pulses. the set-up is quite simple with a magnet fitted on the spoke and a sensor fixed to front suspension fork facing the magnet. with every rotation of the wheel, the magnet will pass the sensor, and depending on the difference between two pulses, the wheel rpm will be calculated. based on this the display(commonly divided into two parts) will show the speed in kmph(or mph depending upon your choice) and multitude of other readings including TIME
cheap Cyclocomps are available off ebay.com for $4-6 and can be

installed on Motorcycles within 30mins without any tools.

A typical Cyclocomp package includes
1. The Cyclocomp
2. A sensor and a Cyclocomp mount connected by a cable
3. A magnet
4. 4 cable ties.

There are installing instructions at the back of the pack but let me make them simple for you.

The thing is made for Bicycles so a few extra things like Superglue or Araldite, a pari of scissors and a few long cable ties will help.

STEP 1: Mark the positions where you want to fix the magnet and the sensor. the magnet is weak so you have to make sure there is a gap of 15mm(max) when it passes the sensor during wheel rotation. if you want more gap, you can use any stronger magnets(search for Rare Earth magnets, they are small in size and are very strong). Magnets from small tweeters(speakers) will also do. Just make sure that while rotating nothing touches anywhere.

I had installed the sensor on the left fork when viewed sitting on the Bike

STEP 2: After marking, its time to fix the magnet. In my case, I used the supplied Magnet and fixed it to the wheel hub with Araldite since fixing it on the spkoe will have too much gap for the sensor to take any readings.

STEP 3: Now its time to fit the sensor. they provide small cable ties to fit the sensor to the small dia Bicycle forks and their length is not sufficient for Motorcycle forks. Solution: longer cable ties
Simply align the sensor facing the magnet and tighten the cable ties. cut off the unwanted tie piece once done.

STEP 4: on the other end of the Sensor cable, there is the mount for the Cyclocomp. This can be fitted very easily with the cable ties provided on single piece handle bars. the mount even have grooves for cable ties to accomodate. But its not that easy on clip-ons. one has to find a suitable place on the small clip-ons to fit it or choose another place altogether according to his/her choice. I found some space near the LHS switch gears and fitted the sensor mount there.

STEP 5: Measure the outer dia of the front tire. with that calculate the circumference of the Wheel and feed it to the Cyclocomp. Put it on the mount, start the Bike, slot onto first and move ahead[;)]

ADVANTAGES:

1. Easy to install
2. Time is displayed which is much needed
3. Other Goodies like, speed, max speed, avg speed of a trip, tripmeter, wheel rpm, etc are displayed
4. Can be removed easily and put in pocket when not Riding and fitted back easily on the mount
5. Runs on its own battery(button type) which is easily available in Watch shops
6. Looks Cool

DISADVANTAGES:

1. May not show exact readings as Bike speedo(speed), also Bike speedos are known to have some errors, maybe Cyclocomp has too.
2. Not guaranteed waterproof on cheaper models but can withstand light rains.
3. Not backlit on most models.

Search for Cyclocomp or Bicycle Speedometer in ebay.com and you will get many options to choose from.

Prior to installation and purchasing, I discussed the Idea with fellow XBHPians which helped me a lot. Special thanks to all.

PIC 1: As viewed from from the front of the Wheel/Bike
PIC 2: As viewed from back of the Wheel(from the Engine side)
PIC 3: Sensor mount fitted on the clip-on with cable ties
PIC 4: The Cyclocomp
PIC 5: Installed and on the roll

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

555.jpg

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/do-yourself/20874-installing-cyclocomp-your-motorcycle.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Even though it will not show the exact readings and also in heavy rains it may not work sometimes, you have shown interest in fitting this gadget to your bike. Its really nice to see some innovating things like this which will help us to atleast know about there were some additional features we can work upon.
Nice one.

Wow, its great one. thanks for sharing this.

As ambilovers mentioned it is great initiative even though there are some -ives.

I can try fixing this in my son's cycle.

I ordered a btwin count 8 cyclo meter from snapdeal for my btwin bicycle but snapdeal never delivered it. It didn't matter as it was cash on delivery. Count 8 is a great cyclocomp with all the essential features and some more too. And I think it's even fully waterproof but not back lit. CatEye also makes great cyclo meters.

Thread Starter #5
I ordered a btwin count 8 cyclo meter from snapdeal for my btwin bicycle but snapdeal never delivered it. It didn't matter as it was cash on delivery. Count 8 is a great cyclocomp with all the essential features and some more too. And I think it's even fully waterproof but not back lit. CatEye also makes great cyclo meters.
How much was the cost of the Count 8?

Top Bottom